SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tracking hurricane Joaquin OTS

dailylurker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one's killer for the cone. Pretty clear they are trying to minimize error rather than give the most likely forecast at this point. 

They are probably hamstrung by rules....but doesn't make their cone the last number of issues any less silly....and I am sure there are plenty of people at NHC who agree and there is nothing they can do about it....So what will be their 2pm cone?  A Storm barreling toward Cape Cod?

State of Emergencies (States of Emergency?) are declared too liberally anymore since there's no real repercussion (which may be too harsh of a word) for not needing it but severe ones for not declaring one and then needing it.

Google headlines now comparing this to sandy. Misleading as ****, and making the whole weather community look bad!

Google headlines now comparing this to sandy. Misleading as ****, and making the whole weather community look bad!

There will of course be a lag in us declaring it OTS to the general public getting that word. Probably by later this evening people will be talking about what a "change" in the forecast.

12z UKIE says bye bye.... no one gets anything from Joaquin

It's probably correct given the models folding the last 24 hours. I'm sure the HWRF and GFDL will stay interesting to keep a few really hopeful weenies interested. Recon is about to get to the center again. 

I actually really like the NHC's "Key Messages" section at the end of each of these discussions. I think they succinctly laid out the case throughout yesterday that out to sea was a clear possibility and conveyed uncertainty fine. That little section is what prevented even more hype from yesterday's 5-day track/cone, IMO. CNN, etc., still are trying to hype but the out to sea option is at least covered within the stories. 

I agree with everyone else that the 5-day product should not include point positions, and that the cone should be manually created to convey the uncertainty of the modeling.

New Jersey declared a State of Emergency due to Friday's Nor Easter first, then IF Joaquin comes up the coast or not. Parts of Jersey got nailed with 3 inches of rain  Tuesday/Wednesday, now another 2-3 inches Friday with coastal flooding.

If you read the Virginia Governor's declaration, it's clear they are more concerned with the front rolling through today and tomorrow than the hurricane. Several counties had flood damage earlier this week, and Friday might be worse.

If the Euro verifies, what "mistake" was made by the other models? Was it the speed of the winds around the ULL and thats why the new soundings yesterday helped the GFS initialize better?

Edit: Weaker winds around ULL would not steer it to N/NW more quickly to get above the ULL.

#noob

Archived