SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tracking hurricane Joaquin OTS

dailylurker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why we even lok at anything but the EURO. What a bust.

Because there are plenty of circumstances where the Euro is on its own and ends up caving or missing badly. Shrug. It's right slightly more than the other models - but it is faaaar from infallible, and situations like this (where the Euro is all on its own and ends up being right) are actually fairly rare.

Well the Euro is generally better than the GFS and its been solid. Now the GFS caves. Climo is also huge, these left hook storms never usually happen. The threat isn't dead, but its getting close.

ToqpNHG.png

So much for ensemble consensus.

They are split into two camps, one with a capture and a hard left into NC/SC

and the OTS camp

The OP is indecisive and splits the difference

Shows that a small shift now will go a long way

Its like going with the model that shows you the least amount of snow... should we pick the model that shows something closest to climo track vs all the ones that show the historic hit?

QFT. I'm wondering if Tuesday's event will end up being the most impressive, when all is said and done. 5" will be hard to top, but there's still a lot of rain in my forecast!

Would any particular model run have a changed outcome if it were to initialize at a different location? For instance if the model run in this case began while the hurricane was still just wobbling? So in other words if a model run began when it wobbles left or if it wobbled right would that make any appreciable change in the outcome?

Would any particular model run have a changed outcome if it were to initialize at a different location? For instance if the model run in this case began while the hurricane was still just wobbling? So in other words if a model run began when it wobbles left or if it wobbled right would that make any appreciable change in the outcome?

I'm not an expert, but I don't believe so. My understanding is a lot of the changes is because what is happening downstream, once it interacts with the trough off the coast. 

But perhaps someone more knowledgeable can explain better.

A question for the pros (or more experienced amateurs  :nerdsmiley: ) out there...

It looks to me like all of the models and ensemble members out there have a close correlation between where the storm ends up (OTS or NC or somewhere in between) with its course between 24 and 48 hours from now.  To my untrained eye, all of the models have Joaquin in about the same place in 18-24 hours from now.  But from there, any model or ensemble member that predicts NW or N motion from the 24 hour mark to the 48 hour mark results in an east coast landfall...and any model/member that predicts NNE or NE motion from the 24 hour mark to the 48 hour mark results in OTS.  I don't see any model that starts it NW and then curves OTS, or any model that moves it NNE and then curves it onshore.

Am I imagining things?  Or will Joaquin's movement over that period actually be a good indicator of where it finally goes?

^^ that's a good catch. I was just comparing yesterdays 18z run with this mornings 06z run and all the players are more or less the same up until 06z Saturday morning (48 hours), then they start to change, like you said, with the shifting of Joaquin itself, NNW or NNE. 

The trough also digs deeper, and the Low associated with it is stronger on the 18z vs 06z, which I believe is what delays the capture from taking place. 

This continued strengthening is allowing Joaquin to move further south, much like the EURO has been advertising for days.  The further south Joaquin gets, the longer it will take to rebound and move poleward.  This allows the ridge over the Atlantic to drift further east and provide the escape route for the storm.  The 12z suite of US / foreign models will probably cluster further out to sea.  In the weather world this is a cliff jumper for sure, but when you see actions like what the media and Governor of VA did last night, it does a huge detriment to the public safety field.

I would love to see this come up the Chesapeake/Delaware Bay and hit us hard, extreme weather is the only thing that excites me anymore.  But it's impossible to ignore the trends that started yesterday around lunch.

This continued strengthening is allowing Joaquin to move further south, much like the EURO has been advertising for days. The further south Joaquin gets, the longer it will take to rebound and move poleward. This allows the ridge over the Atlantic to drift further east and provide the escape route for the storm. The 12z suite of US / foreign models will probably cluster further out to sea. In the weather world this is a cliff jumper for sure, but when you see actions like what the media and Governor of VA did last night, it does a huge detriment to the public safety field.

I would love to see this come up the Chesapeake/Delaware Bay and hit us hard, extreme weather is the only thing that excites me anymore. But it's impossible to ignore the trends that started yesterday around lunch.

I get that this is typically the kind of stuff we weather enthusiast live for...but let a snowstorm come up the coast and hit us hard. This would put way too many at risk and cause way too much destruction.

This continued strengthening is allowing Joaquin to move further south, much like the EURO has been advertising for days. The further south Joaquin gets, the longer it will take to rebound and move poleward. This allows the ridge over the Atlantic to drift further east and provide the escape route for the storm. The 12z suite of US / foreign models will probably cluster further out to sea. In the weather world this is a cliff jumper for sure, but when you see actions like what the media and Governor of VA did last night, it does a huge detriment to the public safety field.

I would love to see this come up the Chesapeake/Delaware Bay and hit us hard, extreme weather is the only thing that excites me anymore. But it's impossible to ignore the trends that started yesterday around lunch.

Well written

^^ that's a good catch. I was just comparing yesterdays 18z run with this mornings 06z run and all the players are more or less the same up until 06z Saturday morning (48 hours), then they start to change, like you said, with the shifting of Joaquin itself, NNW or NNE. 

The trough also digs deeper, and the Low associated with it is stronger on the 18z vs 06z, which I believe is what delays the capture from taking place. 

It doesn't really take too much of a change to completely change a forecast, does it.

Archived