Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Tracking hurricane Joaquin OTS

dailylurker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sparsely populated NE NC gets the brunt on an OBX hit and the storm weakens to a TS/weak cat 1 before it gets to Tidewater. It would still be costly, but Isabel was about the most Tidewater can take. A Cat 2/3 direct hit with Norfolk/Virginia Beach in the NE quadrant would be a major disaster.Sent from my XT1254

There will be all sorts of impacts due to the upper level vorticity if it moves inland, especially short lived rain wrapped tornados in the right front quadrant. The category is a lessor indicator, focus more on the speed and deformation.

Norfolk has the landscape of New Orleans and the region has almost 2 million people. The NC/VA solution would be far more devastating than OBX.Sent from my XT1254

The assets in Tidewater are much more valuable and critical than OBX, and even NO. VA Beach already has persistent flooding due to SLR and makeup of the soil/effects from a past bolide impact.

Hate to see OBX get impacted as it's a great area, but Tidewater is crucial to the state, region, and a big factor in national defense.

Anywhere from Sunday morning at the earliest, to Monday. Hard to determine even the day at this point, and that's assuming that landfall actually took place in/ near NC.

thanks.  thinking of making a drive saturday morning to check out the waves.  should be interesting by then.  

The assets in Tidewater are much more valuable and critical than OBX, and even NO. VA Beach already has persistent flooding due to SLR and makeup of the soil/effects from a past bolide impact.

Hate to see OBX get impacted as it's a great area, but Tidewater is crucial to the state, region, and a big factor in national defense.

The Outer Banks are visited by over 5 million people a year...believe me when I say and no offense that it means far more to most people then Tidewater. Also I hope you realize the homes on the Outer Banks are worth close to ~$30 billion.

Nothing is more critical or valuable than Duck Donuts

The Outer Banks are visited by over 5 million people a year...believe me when I say and no offense that it means far more to most people then Tidewater. Also I hope you realize the homes on the Outer Banks are worth close to ~$30 billion.

The homes are on stilts and have strict codes. They'll be fine barring this thing turning into an Andrew, which isn't going to happen.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Maybe Pat Robertson can pray the storm away.

Home of the eastern fleet, NASA Langley, Langley AFB and major shipping port......yeah, OBX homes are FAR more important.

Barrier islands are meant to protect the mainland from storm surge.

I've never been to the outer banks. I am sure it's beautiful and an awesome place to live most of the time but I don't know how people build there and logically expect not to have their houses destroyed at some point. It's the most prone place in the whole country for a tropical system strike even if many aren't that powerful. Obviously people like living in places like that and there are tons of islands and shorelines that could take a bit hit. But... still. Given the background warming going on and sea level rise it should be even more clear.

Home of the eastern fleet, NASA Langley, Langley AFB and major shipping port......yeah, OBX homes are FAR more important.

A big hit on SE Va would be terrible that's one of the most at risk areas for such if it happened. No question you want an OBX hit if you have to choose based on those variables. ;)

I've never been to the outer banks. I am sure it's beautiful and an awesome place to live most of the time but I don't know how people build there and logically expect not to have their houses destroyed at some point. It's the most prone place in the whole country for a tropical system strike even if many aren't that powerful. Obviously people like living in places like that and there are tons of islands and shorelines that could take a bit hit. But... still. Given the background warming going on and sea level rise it should be even more clear.

You are correct. Big problem but people will do what they do regardless of the warnings.

There are $30 billion dollars worth of ships in Norfolk. Just saying.

There are $30 billion dollars worth of ships in Norfolk. Just saying.

Not to mention the multiple fortune 500 companies and major defense contractors that operate in that area. No question that the impacts would be far greater in SE Virginia. 

Yeah. I have a place in OC and I seriously thought about selling it after Sandy. I didnt have any major damage (some dock damage).  A few friends had their boats sunk. And its not just the Canes. The noreasters are just as bad really. Just having to worry about it every fall and winter is getting old.

Yeah. I have a place in OC and I seriously thought about selling it after Sandy. I didnt have any major damage (some dock damage).  A few friends had their boats sunk. And its not just the Canes. The noreasters are just as bad really. Just having to worry about it every fall and winter is getting old.

Did you already own this property all the way back in 1992? I've been fascinated by the January 1992 coastal storm that smashed the city (and the rest of the Delmarva). I would guess that within this generation, that storm was the scariest to experience in Ocean City itself. 

Archived