SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
No Joaquin the park forecast for Mets

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew you'd like that track. Unfortunately for you there's this at the end of the disco:

This is what we're struggling with right now. We know the track is going to shift east, yet we'll continue to show a TC just off ACK at day 5?

I'm not sure how exactly we're serving the public there.

Been dealing with that all day, in fact that Malloy statement I posted was emailed to the entire organization at 3 pm, ugh

Can't blame them... they're followingt NHC's lead.

I was also scolded by an emergency manager today after saying the most likely scenario was a miss on the air. 

Prepare for a bloodbath of GFS bashing...that's what you should prepare for.

No getting around that it was awful, but this is a huge argument for ensemble based forecasting. At least then you would have had an idea that one, there was huge spread, and two, many of the solutions fell into two camps (out to sea and Mid Atlantic hit).

18Z NAM is all in still, day 4 NW track captured under ULL, we need to start from scratch

Although, I did notice the NAR was stronger on the NAM. It appears to be a multi-run trend on the GFS as well, weekend maybe not looking as sunny as it once did.

No getting around that it was awful, but this is a huge argument for ensemble based forecasting. At least then you would have had an idea that one, there was huge spread, and two, many of the solutions fell into two camps (out to sea and Mid Atlantic hit).

I wondered how much that would matter though, when so many models through yesterday aftn, nailed NC.  I know discussions mentioned it, but I feel like many are blinded by that consensus of models. Sandy did that too. All models OTS including the tropical ones, at day 4-5 or so.

I wondered how much that would matter though, when so many models through yesterday aftn, nailed NC.  I know discussions mentioned it, but I feel like many are blinded by that consensus of models. Sandy did that too. All models OTS including the tropical ones, at day 4-5 or so.

I went back and looked at some of the model runs from Sandy, and day 4 there was definitely consensus for the recurve.

It's just not good when you build up all the improvements to the GFS with the Sandy money, but then the Euro goes out and schools it once more.

With a bimodal distribution of possible solutions... their forecast was the worst possible one in terms of likely outcomes. 

I know. More period will hug it and hug it too much until another Jan 27 debacle happens again. 

Ekster and I were just discussing that storm, the Euro really missed by like 30-50 miles tops. That's like 3 gridpoints in the model.

The bigger issue was probably how we (meteorologists, maybe NWS specifically) interpreted and communicated the data. Probably not smart to thrown down 3' of snow for NYC when you're on the western edge of the system.

Ekster and I were just discussing that storm, the Euro really missed by like 30-50 miles tops. That's like 3 gridpoints in the model.

The bigger issue was probably how we (meteorologists, maybe NWS specifically) interpreted and communicated the data. Probably not smart to thrown down 3' of snow for NYC when you're on the western edge of the system.

It didn't give NYC's deformation band to ginx? And it was 24 hrs out or something like that.

Archived