joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
No Joaquin the park forecast for Mets

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of a minute ago, NHC on twitter still hasn't moved their cone of possibility.

Looks to me like their last actual tweet was 2 hours ago; their forecast wouldn't be adjusted until the 11 AM product package anyhow.

Distinct possibility they stand pat -- relatively speaking -- until 12z guidance comes in. And that is probably a reasonable course of action at this particular juncture.

Not just that. Some very knowledgeable people just won't admit this is a done deal

Kev, I get that you're disappointed.  But look at it objectively.  Until there is overwhelming evidence that this thing is completely a non-threat to the US, what do you want people to do?  If they went OTS right now and the thing somehow ended up in NY Harbor, you'd have a lot of dead NY'ers.  If this were out at 50W, they probably already would have adjusted the cone to a NE/SW orientation.  But its not.

The NHC doesn't do their thing to make all us weenies happy.  They do it to save lives.

In a way we are all slaves to the cone. I didn't see Harvey last night though. 

Yup. The NHC has been able to get the media and EMs to be slaves to the cone - unlike any other maps/representation in the NWS. The problem is the cone is sometimes wildly unrepresentative of the actual forecast uncertainty.

The NHC can't have it both ways. They can't tell everyone for decades to focus on the cone and then say... well, you should really read the discussion when the cone isn't a good representation of the threat. The NHC is doing the best they can but to be honest it seems like they're forecasting much more to reduce their error scores than forecasting what's actually the most likely scenario. It's been a nightmare for us trying to communicate.

Yup. The NHC has been able to get the media and EMs to be slaves to the cone - unlike any other maps/representation in the NWS. The problem is the cone is sometimes wildly unrepresentative of the actual forecast uncertainty.

The NHC can't have it both ways. They can't tell everyone for decades to focus on the cone and then say... well, you should really read the discussion when the cone isn't a good representation of the threat. The NHC is doing the best they can but to be honest it seems like they're forecasting much more to reduce their error scores than forecasting what's actually the most likely scenario. It's been a nightmare for us trying to communicate.

Boris(vortex95)  brought up that point. I couldn't fault them for the track yesterday at first....but then again..the "consensus" was for a landfall no further north than ORF at best. To cut the difference because of the ECMWF is misleading. It will either be in one camp or the other. That's how it goes in nature. Even if they busted, they can fall back on the consensus and stick with that argument which is perfectly acceptable. Forecasting for skill scores so you can post a nice image on your end of the year powerpoint, is misleading.

Boris(vortex95)  brought up that point. I couldn't fault them for the track yesterday at first....but then again..the "consensus" was for a landfall no further north than ORF at best. To cut the difference because of the ECMWF is misleading. It will either be in one camp or the other. That's how it goes in nature. Even if they busted, they can fall back on the consensus and stick with that argument which is perfectly acceptable. Forecasting for skill scores so you can post a nice image on your end of the year powerpoint, is misleading.

It's a weird philosophy but I think they're stuck doing that. If they're verifying off the error of a deterministic forecast they're occasionally not going to forecast the most likely outcome. From a communication standpoint that's a disaster. 

The cone shouldn't be fixed... it should be variable based on forecast confidence.

It's amazing to me thru the various forums and social media how many people still think the Euro is wrong and an east coast hit is possible

It's amazing to me how many people are more interested in "being right" first and obsessed with making a call instead of verbatim just enjoying the "chase" of landing a solid storm.

Also amazing that so many people are willing to rule out an east coast landfall completely at this stage. This isn't a wintertime pattern. Things behave differently, especially tropical storms at our logitude.

No I'm not saying to expect a strike. I'm not saying either way. I'm also not going to irresponsibly rule out any scenario.

I'm not highlighting your posts right now but just a commentary in general. This whole guessing game of who is going to be right first is insufferable. Worst part is it will last right through winter.

Archived