Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Joaquin 2015

Solak

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2 cents:

Regardless of Joaquin's track, the dynamics are quite favorable for extreme precipitation over parts of the southeast. Phase tilt of the upper-level trough and low-level thermodynamics are highly conducive for baroclinic development with strong isentropic ascent and anomalously high PW values. Hence the high QPF values in the Euro despite the OTS solution.

Through the Midlands, the GFS was pretty dry compared to the Euro.  Areas of 15 inches and more per Euro as the GFS had around 6 or so for a big portion.

Take that for what it's worth.. but either way the Midlands are now in play for a good bit of rain regardless if this thing makes landfall.  This wasn't exactly the case before the 00z model suite last night.

I see the NAM continues strong blocking to the north, leaving Joaquin nowhere to go but inland. OOC, how is the Euro dealing with the blocking to the north?

@ryanhanrahan It is the mid/upper level trough doing the major steering. The weak TC produced by #ECMWF is negligible

I see the NAM continues strong blocking to the north, leaving Joaquin nowhere to go but inland. OOC, how is the Euro dealing with the blocking to the north?

Looks like the Euro is taking it directly into the ridge off the east coast! That can't happen? Kind of like a low running into a strong wedge in the winter??

NHC looks to be bailing on the Euro, has landfall over northern OBX if the 18Z holds serve expect that landfall to shift further down the coast towards Lookout or even ILM......I think its time for folks in NC to begin to seriously plan for a possible long duration power loss event....and for those living in low lying areas that typically wouldn't be flood prone during normal events need to find out how things where there during Floyd because if the Cape Fear/Neuse/Tar and Roanoke River basins get widespread 10" rainfall amounts we will most likely see a  100-500 yr  flooding event on these rivers and the creeks that feed them.

You got 3 days and the weather will be bad early since the PRE event will hinder preparations....

We have a potentially serious situation developing here. Let's keep on topic and refrain from any personal attacks. I will have a quick trigger finger as we get closer to the event.

:wub: 

Through the Midlands, the GFS was pretty dry compared to the Euro.  Areas of 15 inches and more per Euro as the GFS had around 6 or so for a big portion.

Take that for what it's worth.. but either way the Midlands are now in play for a good bit of rain regardless if this thing makes landfall.  This wasn't exactly the case before the 00z model suite last night.

I sure hope so  :D  I enjoyed the 4" mby had in the bucket last week  ;)   

There has been little change in the organization of Joaquin during
the past several hours. While the hurricane continues to produce
cloud tops colder than -80C in the eyewall, the eye has not become
better defined since the last advisory. Satellite intensity
estimates are 77 kt from both TAFB and SAB, so the advisory
intensity is now 75 kt.

Uh... what? We just saw a clear eye a bit ago.

For what its worth, the  Euro was way better with last weeks heavy rain event than the GFS.

I'll go on record to say that I'm hoping for a NC hurricane landfall since I do free-lance storm videography.

That said, I'm most concerned about the continued southerly component in the real-time motion and its long-range effect on Joaquin's eventual track. That, combined with the fact that the EURO has been most consistent in forecasting the more southward motion into the Bahamas, for the past couple of days...is worrisome for those hoping for the same.

OTH, the relatively strong consensus for an EC landfall and a continued westward shift amongst the other models gives one hope, in that regard. In such a complex atmospheric and synoptic environment that is yet to play out, this is truly one of the most challenging forecasts scenarios I've ever seen-relative to TC forecasting.

Hopefully, the ingestion of the aforementioned upper-air data into the models will provide more clarity with the 00z model runs.

Archived