Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Joaquin

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, shear has been around 20 kts all day, and just recently dropped a bit to ~15 kts, according to CIMSS analysis. The atmosphere instability has given it the oomph factor to gradually strengthen today, and as soon as the shear relaxed a bit, it appears to be in a RIC.

Per the 5PM discussion (I'd noticed this before, wish I'd mentioned  earlier this afternoon so I looked smart) there was some 400 mb northerly shear measured by the G-IV; you could see this most of the day, looked like the 200 mb outflow on the North side was undercut some.

Not that it ended up hurting the storm much. Might have prevented an even crazier RI. 

As this loop is not a live product the rapid increase in the winds tonight was probably a result of the inner core finally establishing itself. The Bahamas are going to get smoked.

It had a core all along, the loop looks like the low and mid level centers are becoming collocated and an eye is forming.

Did anyone see the 18z NAM, it's confused rather to send it into the NC Coast or out to sea so it splits the difference!  hahaha.

the NAM to me is useless until this storm has departed. the model had major problems yesterday with its ocean interface to the point it crashed at t+57. and the pressure analysis isn't even close to reality the last several runs. it should have been able to handle this, but didn't. until it shows me something close to reality, not even worth looking at.

Cat. 4 by tomorrow afternoon....bank on it....I'll revise my earlier call of the lowest pressure attained to near 930mb....This system is so very nicely "round" at the surface....and now the shear is going bye bye....just in time for diurnal max. and nice bathwater!!

In your opinion, is the EURO analysis flawed? My weenie hunch is that the EURO may not be appropriately incorporating the mid-hemisphere trough in the SE U.S.

Prob of RI for 25 kt RI threshold= 39% is 3.3 times the sample mean(11.9%)
Prob of RI for 30 kt RI threshold= 35% is 4.6 times the sample mean( 7.6%)
Prob of RI for 35 kt RI threshold= 27% is 5.8 times the sample mean( 4.6%)
Prob of RI for 40 kt RI threshold= 1% is 0.3 times the sample mean( 3.0%)

GOES01002015274IyTDp9.jpg

In your opinion, is the EURO analysis flawed? My weenie hunch is that the EURO may not be appropriately incorporating the mid-hemisphere trough in the SE U.S.

I think the message being sent by the models (ie the tremendous T+84 and beyond divergence) is that this setup is SO sensitive to even the slightest perturbations in ANY of the mid/upper level features that are going to come into play.  Models are tools....numerical tools....everything is math....everything! ...and with that said, this may be a situation where we learn about the models down the road, more than in other situations....thus making them more valuable to us.  That said, Euro MAY be orienting the trough too positively, relative to the location of the storm....I'd lean, ever so slightly with the majority of the models, but am not willing as of yet to plot any type of track beyond 2 days....

If Joaquin were, by virtue of its large size, be able to phase more fully with the cutoff low via binary interaction, then I see no reason why it might not be a low-end major hurricane (~100 kt) at landfall if it were to track into eastern NC. SST anomalies off the Southeast coast have been running several degrees above average this summer and very high oceanic heat content has been concentrated in the Gulf Stream.

As Joaquin accelerates north, its faster movement should offset the effects of increasing shear somewhat. Plus, we will likely be dealing with a moderate to strong Category 4 hurricane over the northeastern Bahamas (120-125 kt), based on current intensification trends and the favorable outflow pattern that is to develop in a day and a half or two. That means an even more intense system to deal with as it interacts with the cutoff.

Someone on Twitter brought up a good point: that the ECMWF ensembles, while showing a very intense Joaquin, taking it out to sea show a smaller system (as does the deterministic run) than is actually the case. While the southwesterly movement and deeper intensity would favor, relative to the trough axis, a sharper northeast curve, the larger size of Joaquin might well compensate and allow more interaction with the trough.

Honestly, I just don't see how ex-Ida will affect the track of Joaquin. The main factors will be location/intensity in one and a half to two days, how fast the cutoff moves/develops, and how large of a system Joaquin becomes. Based on the overall size of the system, I am becoming a bit more concerned that the ECMWF ensembles may bust, contrary to my original expectations, though I still am unwilling to change my bets.

I think the message being sent by the models (ie the tremendous T+84 and beyond divergence) is that this setup is SO sensitive to even the slightest perturbations in ANY of the mid/upper level features that are going to come into play.  Models are tools....numerical tools....everything is math....everything! ...and with that said, this may be a situation where we learn about the models down the road, more than in other situations....thus making them more valuable to us.  That said, Euro MAY be orienting the trough too positively, relative to the location of the storm....I'd lean, ever so slightly with the majority of the models, but am not willing as of yet to plot any type of track beyond 2 days....

Nice discussion.  It is apparent that the disciplined meteorologists here don't expand a deterministic

forecast beyond the strength of the unbiased data.

It'll be a Cat 4 Thursday and we still don't know where it will go.

This could possibly be one of the more interesting systems we've seen in a few years. NHC still has a vast amount of uncertainty with this one.

Here is a satellite loop that goes all the way back to Sept 22nd as the large retrograde low approached the western Atlantic, all the way up to today. 

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?wv_central+/200h

It is a bit daunting but also helps to see that the conditions have been unusual lately, as Coach McGuirk pointed out earlier in the thread, very cluttered.  This cyclone seems to have generated more out of friction between various lows and troughs, yet is now outwardly behaving like a traditional tropical cyclone.  However the models may not be running certain variables, including those that haven't been studied enough due to infrequent conditions allowing those conditions to be studied and turned into codes in the models.

Archived