SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-DISCUSSION/OBS

bluewave

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NHC is expecting a pretty due north progress, which doesn't seem all that unreasonable. I don't see this thing making a left hook when it's still poised to be a cat 3/4 hurricane. A 100 mile shift east and this is easily running into the Chesapeake. Furthermore a shift like that could easily allow it run up to coast of DE and NJ before finally taking a complete hook into land. This is a very dangerous situation and the entire east coast, including the NYC metro needs to watch this very carefully. This could make Sandy the #2 storm and Joaquin #1....

This. We are FOUR DAYS OUT. Can we stop locking down model trends as fact and just wait and see. All these "itwill make landfall in Wilmington" people would have been laughed at yesterday if they made the same comment. It could still go out to sea, it could still hit delmarva, we truly dont know yet and model hugging will not help in anyway

Isn't a stronger storm more indicative that the EURO is on track?

See HRWF/GFDL I've seen this flawed argument a ton about how the resolution of the models for the ECMWF is better. Not to say the Euro is crazy but it's something the high res. data assimilation aren't seeing IE 4dVAR that may make or break the forecast. 

This. We are FOUR DAYS OUT. Can we stop locking down model trends as fact and just wait and see. All these "itwill make landfall in Wilmington" people would have been laughed at yesterday if they made the same comment. It could still go out to sea, it could still hit delmarva, we truly dont know yet and model hugging will not help in anyway

While I agree, I don't see many people "model hugging". Just giving their obs of the model suites as they come out. I still believe there will be a more NE correction, but not as intense as the Euro. A middle ground somewhere between OBX and Jersey Shore. I think NHC has it pretty damn close. 

100% agree

NHC is expecting a pretty due north progress, which doesn't seem all that unreasonable. I don't see this thing making a left hook when it's still poised to be a cat 3/4 hurricane. A 100 mile shift east and this is easily running into the Chesapeake. Furthermore a shift like that could easily allow it run up to coast of DE and NJ before finally taking a complete hook into land. This is a very dangerous situation and the entire east coast, including the NYC metro needs to watch this very carefully. This could make Sandy the #2 storm and Joaquin #1....

I wouldn't hang my star on the current NHC track. The NHC is admittedly simply taking a compromise track between the European and non European models as they are so divergent. They cannot both be right. Therefore, short of luck, the compromise track is not accurate and is likely to change, perhaps very significantly.

I wouldn't hang my star on the current NHC track. The NHC is admittedly simply taking a compromise track between the European and non European models as they are so divergent. They cannot both be right. Therefore, short of luck, the compromise track is not accurate and is likely to change, perhaps very significantly.

I'd make the argument that the NHC track is more then just a compromise, but more a trust in the Euro's idea of a more NE track. How intense is yet to be determined. I'm just not sure this thing rears off as intensely west as the GFS and friends have shown. 

I'd make the argument that the NHC track is more then just a compromise, but more a trust in the Euro's idea of a more NE track. How intense is yet to be determined. I'm just not sure this thing rears off as intensely west as the GFS and friends have shown.

Yes. Exactly what I was saying about the nhc track. Ty brother.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Their words, my friend. Other factors may apply, but they admit it is a compromise track between the European and non European models.

Their words, my friend. Other factors may apply, but they admit it is a compromise track between the European and non European models.

Of course, but there must be a reasoning behind that compromise. If not more then the trust of the Euro being that extreme. I doubt when they came up with that track they said "Hey, the GFS is way down here, the Euro is way over here....lets draw a line right down the middle and call it a day!" ... 

While I agree, I don't see many people "model hugging". Just giving their obs of the model suites as they come out. I still believe there will be a more NE correction, but not as intense as the Euro. A middle ground somewhere between OBX and Jersey Shore. I think NHC has it pretty damn close.

I agree with that track for the most part. By model hugging, I mean everyone all of a sudden accepting this left hook into NC SC despite the storm being much stronger than intially anticipated (stronger leads to more N track). No one was thinking this until the models started printing it out

The way I see it, Joaquin is still moving further SSW. If it continues doing that for the remainder of the day, it'll likely miss the ridge leaving an opening for Joaquin to sneak through by the weekend. 

How much of an influence does zombie-Ida have over Joaquin as it continues to deepen, and what does that possibly weakening influence have on Joaquin's track?

Haven't really seen any of the pros give a good analysis or breakdown of the storm and possible scenarios. Just a lot of model watching. Last night, I heard a late capture was not going to happen. The storm was either going to slam into the Carolinas or go OTS. Now it seems like that's a possibility? It's the official NHC forecast now.

Eyeballing pressure reading data from recon somewhere around the low 940s or upper 930s and peak flight level wind around 115kts. Looks like one surface wind reading of 130kts, but may well be contaminated. Still, J is taking another small dive southwest and its satellite presentation continues to improve. Note the very cold cloud tops on the western flank that had been elusive through last night. Eye popping out nicely, too. Fun to watch, even if direct impacts seem less likely. 

Just for the record, though often inaccurate, the NAVGEM brings Joaquinn ashore in S.Carolina during daylight hours on Sat.   It meanders it inland and then has it reemerge near Cape Hatteras and regenerates it next Wed. as it gets ready to go OTS.

Capture occurs about 36-48hours from now (ie. at 48-60hours on the 0Z run)

The most intense hurricanes in the North Atlantic (i.e. not the Gulf of Mexico or the Caribbean):

915mb: Isabel (2003)

919mb: Gloria (1985)

922mb: Andrew (1993)

924mb: Igor (2010)

933mb: Hugo (1989)

Correct me if I'm missing any. You could include the Labor Day hurricane (1935), although it technically peaked in the Straits of Florida. Hugo also peaked in the Caribbean, but the measurement above reflects its pressure shortly before landfall in SC.

It looks like Joaquin's pressure has dropped into the 930s and therefore stronger than Sandy and Irene were at peak intensity. There aren't that many intense hurricanes like Joaquin at this latitude. The unusually warm SSTs in the region are undoubtedly responsible for Joaquin's intensity.

Creeping closer to a Cat 4:

...EYE OF JOAQUIN PASSING OVER SAMANA CAYS IN THE BAHAMAS...
...CENTRAL BAHAMAS TO EXPERIENCE HURRICANE FORCE WINDS...STORM
SURGE...AND HEAVY RAIN THROUGH TONIGHT...

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...23.0N 73.9W
ABOUT 80 MI...125 KM SSE OF SAN SALVADOR
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...125 MPH...205 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...SW OR 220 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...942 MB...27.82 INCHES

Archived