SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-DISCUSSION/OBS

bluewave

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and that was bare trees...that event now would bring down many more given the full foliage with the late start to fall.

There has been a significant cull of vulnerable trees with a large number of recent high wind / ice / early snow events, beginning with March 2010.

Not to mention this incredible drought has stressed the trees quite extensively, weakening many. An event like 92 could be worse now.

It hasn't been an "incredible drought" in the NYC area-the worst drought status in the Northeast is moderate drought, and that covers most in this subforum but not beyond there. This'll bring a lot of rain to someone, most likely to the left of the track. So that would favor E PA/NJ now (tropical systems usually bring much more rain left of their tracks in the Northeast due to interactions with fronts/colder continental air), but this is still days away. 

I could see something like March 2010 or December 92 possibly.

On the higher end yes. And if you're home flooded then you should have either raised your home by now or sold to the gov. Think freeport an lindenhurst and the west end of long beach. Areas where houses were built less then 3' above sea level

Wind wise 2011 or 92 would be bad with trees in full leaf. I could see 200k power outage on Long island with gusts in the 70s. Dry soil and the cull from Sandy prevent anything worse

Not to get off topic,

True, further east you go, the density of trees increases, Suffolk for example, where moderate drought with 7-9 inches below normal. With many trees dropping leaves/dying.

It hasn't been an "incredible drought" in the NYC area-the worst drought status in the Northeast is moderate drought, and that covers most in this subforum but not beyond there. This'll bring a lot of rain to someone, most likely to the left of the track. So that would favor E PA/NJ now (tropical systems usually bring much more rain left of their tracks in the Northeast due to interactions with fronts/colder continental air), but this is still days away.

It appears the LLC is either just on the edge of the convection or already sliding back toward the MLC. This isn't a terrible looking system anymore and it's over some of the warmest water in the Atlantic. Thankfully the UL environment won't support anything too insane.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

It appears the LLC is either just on the edge of the convection or already sliding back toward the MLC. This isn't a terrible looking system anymore and it's over some of the warmest water in the Atlantic. Thankfully the UL environment won't support anything too insane.

Sent from my SM-G925V

I don't think anyone can judge without a visable. If the center is truly under the convection it's a tropical storm if not its just another mess. I think the big improvements come later

Bernio Rayno did an excellent video at 6PM. He was explaining that if the ULL cuts off like the ECMWF shows it would develop an anti-cyclone to the North which would basically eliminate the shear completely. That combined with warm SST's would be enough to strengthen TD 11 significantly, possibly into a high end TS or even a hurricane. 

If the ULL doesn't close off, the Northerly winds would persist and thus the system would probably remain much weaker. 

Either way, he said a prolific rainmaker is incoming.

I don't think anyone can judge without a visable. If the center is truly under the convection it's a tropical storm if not its just another mess. I think the big improvements come later

I think it looks quite good right now and we've seen far worse systems that were classified as TS this year.

Yes it'll probably get better but there's already evidence of good outflow developing on the south and SW part of the system.

BULLETIN
TROPICAL STORM JOAQUIN ADVISORY NUMBER   5
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       AL112015
1100 PM EDT MON SEP 28 2015

...DEPRESSION STRENGTHENS TO TROPICAL STORM JOAQUIN...
...THE TENTH NAMED STORM OF THE SEASON...

SUMMARY OF 1100 PM EDT...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...26.7N 70.4W
ABOUT 400 MI...645 KM NE OF THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40 MPH...65 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...SW OR 230 DEGREES AT 5 MPH...7 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1002 MB...29.59 INCHES

Satellite images indicate that the shower and thunderstorm activity

associated with the depression has increased and become better

organized during the past several hours. In addition, the low-level

center now appears to have moved closer to the convection than it

was earlier. The latest Dvorak classifications from TAFB and SAB

were 2.5/35 kt, and the initial intensity is set at that value,

making the cyclone Tropical Storm Joaquin. This intensity analysis

also agrees with the reconnaissance aircraft data from earlier today

that showed winds just under tropical-storm force.

Man. there is like a 250mi by  250 mi box for TC genesis during a strong Nino that can actually survive and threaten the EC, and this sucker formed in that box.

If that ULAC forms, then we could be dealing with a Hurricane. Like I said earlier, still a ton of moving parts and lots of time to figure it all out, but this one has potential. 

bc99a6580febd87d9bc4b1645ae16c05.png

Archived