• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Ghosts, Ghouls, Pumpkins, Autumn Chill?: October 2015 DISCUSSION/OBS

UnionWeatherWx

the temperature got as low as - 8 three times in recorded weather history in NYC...I don't believe the earth has warmed 8 degrees since 1917...under circumstances like 1917, 1934 and 1943 NYC could get below zero...I know this is OT but does global warming cause the jet stream to stay further north than before or is it the same but the air masses aren't as cold?...I think another reason why NYC hasn't seen below zero readings lately is the amount of development in the suburbs...The air modifies quicker moving over cement, tar and heated buildings...

It's both...airmasses are generally not as cold on average and the jetstream is affected as well.

It's not just cities. Rural locations are warming up as well. The Adirondacks have lost an average of 2 weeks' worth of frozen lakes over the last 30 years, and that's a super remote wilderness.

Bluewave posted way back how 500mb heights are on average higher planet-wide compared to other climate periods. That is as clear an indicator as you can get that this is not some city thermometer UHI issue.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

46.5F now and a high of only 48.9F so far. Pretty impressive to have a high remain in the 40s at this time of year; my average high is still 65F. About a -15 on the maximum. 

Cheer while you can.   Seems like a very dry, boring  period coming for maybe rest of month.  Above normal temps. too.  The first half of November may have 'off the scale warmth', by the looks of the weeklies.

Low was 36 here, a bit milder than I anticipated. No frost I'm guessing since the tomatoes, peppers, and basil look untouched.

They are pretty hardy plants. An hour of 32F doesn't necessarily spell death. I'm pretty far south in Nassau and think I'll be one of the few spots to stay above freezing but I still threw a plastic sheet over my remaining plants just in case.

I was surprised to see farmingdale get down to 34 last night though.

Tied for the 5th earliest trace of snow at Bridgeport on record.

http://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/Almanacs/BDR/bdroct.pdf

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
501 PM EDT SUN OCT 18 2015

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL TIED AT BRIDGEPORT CT...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF A TRACE WAS TIED AT BRIDGEPORT CT
TODAY. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF A TRACE SET IN 1972.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

I was coming home from BOS about 1100 on 91 in new haven and the snow was coming down pretty hard.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

we had several showers (almost a squall) here during the afternoon.  Almost looked and felt like a January day.   Kids little league game was interesting to say the least.  Also rare to see flakes with temps at 46 or so.

we had several showers (almost a squall) here during the afternoon.  Almost looked and felt like a January day.   Kids little league game was interesting to say the least.  Also rare to see flakes with temps at 46 or so.

You guys also tied the record low today.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

0217 AM EDT MON OCT 19 2015

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT BRIDGEPORT CT...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 30 DEGREES WAS SET AT BRIDGEPORT CT

THIS MORNING. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 30 SET IN 1974.

Indian Summer

An unseasonably warm period near the middle of autumn, usually following a substantial period of cool weather.

That's from the NWS, but how long do the periods have to be is my question? Also, just how warm is unseasonable? I guess it depends on what time of year it is and what the averages are at that time. I'm not saying this is an Indian Summer btw, this just made me think of it and I just wanted to know.

Archived