• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ghosts, Ghouls, Pumpkins, Autumn Chill?: October 2015 DISCUSSION/OBS

UnionWeatherWx

Aside from a few cold shots the next week looks rather benign. Can't rule out a few stray flakes on Sunday but I wouldn't bet the house on it. I wish I could say that long range guidance was showing some type of flip to a more exciting pattern but it just looks like trough, ridge, front, wash and repeat.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just using KNYC as that seems to be the debating point getting closer to the colder months. Ewr will radiate better now at night then Knyc going forward. 

If people think Mild spells and 70's are over you should think again

I think OCT ends up N .  The last 10 days look AN and that could erase the BN we see over the next 5 days ,

850s  and 2M anomalies look  N to slightly above  , so N  for OCT looks good to me from here . 

I was just using KNYC as that seems to be the debating point getting closer to the colder months. Ewr will radiate better now at night then Knyc going forward.

If people think Mild spells and 70's are over you should think again

Oh it's definitely not over, I think 70° is reachable next week for NYC. The cold shots worst is really Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Tomorrow and Friday don't look that bad, and Tuesday on should begin a little warmup.

Oh it's definitely not over, I think 70° is reachable next week for NYC. The cold shots worst is really Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Tomorrow and Friday don't look that bad, and Tuesday on should begin a little warmup.

Im more excited to see the first legit cold shot of the fall season, obv by Thanksgiving we should stop seeing temps near 70 with mild spells. Until then it will be very changeable I'm a bit confused why snoski and brian6969 seem like warm temps should be over 

Im more excited to see the first legit cold shot of the fall season, obv by Thanksgiving we should stop seeing temps near 70 with mild spells. Until then it will be very changeable I'm a bit confused why snoski and brian6969 seem like warm temps should be over

Yeah, it's amazing the swings in temperatures we've been having. But yeah, November should bring in the more consistent 30 degree nights, even 20s in the rurals. In all honesty, I could go without this cold shot. It's not worth freezing for 3 days only to warm back up, especially since the heat isn't on yet :o

Yeah, it's amazing the swings in temperatures we've been having. But yeah, November should bring in the more consistent 30 degree nights, even 20s in the rurals. In all honesty, I could go without this cold shot. It's not worth freezing for 3 days only to warm back up, especially since the heat isn't on yet :o

temp swings are normal this time of year

I wouldn't say obviously to anything. I remember that week in December growing up when it was solidly in the 70s. With that mega warm pool off the Sw coast I could easily see that repeating this year. Do I want that F no but it cannot be denied

For whatever the reason, Central Parks departures have been running warmer than other urban stations for the last several months.

My guess is the vegetation which cools afternoon highs in the summer also contributes to less effective radiational cooling at night. Once the trees go bare in a few weeks, overnight lows will probably be a bit cooler relative to their radiating ability in the warm season.

For whatever the reason, Central Parks departures have been running warmer than other urban stations for the last several months.

The drought pattern helped the readings in Central Park run closer to the reality of what Midtown temps were.

I can remember as a kid listening to NOAA weather radio hourly temperature updates during hot days. Many times  in the 

70's and 80's the Park was warmer than EWR and LGA before the new ASOS was installed and the

foliage expanded over the site

I wouldn't say obviously to anything. I remember that week in December growing up when it was solidly in the 70s. With that mega warm pool off the Sw coast I could easily see that repeating this year. Do I want that F no but it cannot be denied

My post was more referring to the fact that mild spells and 70's are more common in October and November, obviously we can get a torch day or two in December. Just that its more uncommon to see those crazy swings after Thanksgiving. 

Where  did I say that?  Quite the contrary, I see plenty of opportunity for warmth

My post was more referring to the fact that mild spells and 70's are more common in October and November, obviously we can get a torch day or two in December. Just that its more uncommon to see those crazy swings after Thanksgiving.

gotcha. Quote me now though we hit 70 this December at some point. All it will take is pac zonal flow and some sunshine. That warm pool scares but also excites me. It's going to electrify the sub trop jet and if we can align cold with an amped system and its really game time

The forecast soundings look convective for later Sunday when the upper disturbance moves through.

It's possible that a heavy enough precipitation burst could dewpoint down the temps for some wet flakes

to mix in especially interior. But we'll see if the coast can cool enough for some wet flakes to mix in.

Either way, NYC is on track for the first morning lows in the 30's of the season.

attachicon.gifgfsNE_con_lapse57_093.gif

Yeh the GFS thinks that could cool enough to maybe mix in some flakes in from west to east . 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_15.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_16.png

GFS MOS is quick turnaround with NYC 30's Sunday and Monday morning and 70 again by Wednesday.

The strong CAA later Sunday into Monday may undercut the MOS min for Monday morning. 12z GFS holds

with instability precip late Sunday into the evening.

NEW YORK CITY-CENTRAL PARK KNYC   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE  10/15/2015  1200 UTC                        FHR  24  36| 48  60| 72  84| 96 108|120 132|144 156|168 180|192            FRI 16| SAT 17| SUN 18| MON 19| TUE 20| WED 21| THU 22|FRI CLIMO N/X  51  65| 45  53| 39  49| 37  50| 44  60| 55  70| 55  66| 53 47 62

many October's from the past had temperatures in the 30's one day and 70's a few days later...1964 was near a record with 33 degrees the morning of the 24th and then a record tying 78 on the 26th...1974 had three days in a row 32 or lower this time of the month...I thought a cold winter was on the way...November 1st was 81 degrees...cold winter canceled...

many October's from the past had temperatures in the 30's one day and 70's a few days later...1964 was near a record with 33 degrees the morning of the 24th and then a record tying 78 on the 26th...1974 had three days in a row 32 or lower this time of the month...I thought a cold winter was on the way...November 1st was 81 degrees...cold winter canceled...

October 2012 and 2009 also.

Archived