SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Let's Talk Winter

Steve

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made by with just a trace today at CVG. The record quest continues!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Now I'd like to know record for latest 1" snow fall for CMH.    I have to say this too.  If we make it through next week without measurable, I'd put our chances at making it to Feb 1st without measurable at 50/50.     

Now I'd like to know record for latest 1" snow fall for CMH. I have to say this too. If we make it through next week without measurable, I'd put our chances at making it to Feb 1st without measurable at 50/50.

According to ILNs twitter feed it was January 2nd. Already did it!

Edit: that was latest measurable. Not sure about inch

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Now I'd like to know record for latest 1" snow fall for CMH.    I have to say this too.  If we make it through next week without measurable, I'd put our chances at making it to Feb 1st without measurable at 50/50.     

I looked it up for you...

The latest first 1" snowfall was in the 1986-87 season when the first 1" snow wasnt until March 30th! CMH went all winter without seeing a 1" snowfall, then saw 5.7" on March 30/31 and 12.3" on Apr 4th! They accumulated a total of 4.9" the entire season thru Mar 29th, then 18.3" from Mar 30-Apr 4.

The latest first 1" snowfall was in the 1986-87 season when the first 1" snow wasnt until March 30th! CMH went all winter without seeing a 1" snowfall, then saw 5.7" on March 30/31 and 12.3" on Apr 4th! They accumulated a total of 4.9" the entire season thru Mar 29th, then 18.3" from Mar 30-Apr 4.

I don't recall that nightmare winter because I was out of state at college.  But I do remember the April snowstorm.

Brutal. Futility record cancel for that winter.

Looks like a warmup is going to follow this Arctic blast... so yeah, if we don't get snow this weekend/next week, we might actually make it to February.

GEFS has a relatively strong signal for a pattern similar (IMO) to December.

wPgfkWq.gif

Ncivnbk2HG.png

The one good thing about being this far north is we can get significant snows well into April...so if you set a fulitity record you really had everything break against you for a good few months. Although I'm starting to wonder if it's possible we set more futility records this winter in Ohio...we have all kinds of time to get one good storm to break our way.

The one good thing about being this far north is we can get significant snows well into April...so if you set a fulitity record you really had everything break against you for a good few months. Although I'm starting to wonder if it's possible we set more futility records this winter in Ohio...we have all kinds of time to get one good storm to break our way.

that 1" latest on March 20th is shocking to me... (like I said, that was when I was away in college so I don't recall that)..that would seem almost impossible to beat.  Basically it would require a snow-less winter here.

The only thing I have going for me wrt my winter prediction was I said we would achieve slightly below normal snowfall but do it in a big way....maybe 1 or 2 big dogs.   Still a strong possibility.

that 1" latest on March 20th is shocking to me... (like I said, that was when I was away in college so I don't recall that)..that would seem almost impossible to beat. Basically it would require a snow-less winter here.

The only thing I have going for me wrt my winter prediction was I said we would achieve slightly below normal snowfall but do it in a big way....maybe 1 or 2 big dogs. Still a strong possibility.

Assuming Feb and March aren't both torches I'd have to think with an active STJ we'd have enough chances and eventually cash in once or twice. March 20th is incredibly late for the first inch, but that winter total ended up nothing close to futile even, so it's hard to do.

Wow funny how you remember weather related events, I had just moved to Dayton the fall of '86 from my home town of Nelsonville in NE Athens county.  That storm on April 4th dumped 18" on my home town in less than 24 hours with 12+ hours of thundersnow during that event my (brother tortuously relayed to me as he still lived at home)!  Making it officially the heaviest snowfall at the time in my lifetime for Nelsonville (the Nov. 1950 storm was 3ft my dad said)!  The previous one was the end of Feb. 1980 when we picked up 15" in 5 hours one evening trapping me at my college (Hocking Tech) over night.

Wow funny how you remember weather related events, I had just moved to Dayton the fall of '86 from my home town of Nelsonville in NE Athens county.  That storm on April 4th dumped 18" on my home town in less than 24 hours with 12+ hours of thundersnow during that event my (brother tortuously relayed to me as he still lived at home)!  Making it officially the heaviest snowfall at the time in my lifetime for Nelsonville (the Nov. 1950 storm was 3ft my dad said)!  The previous one was the end of Feb. 1980 when we picked up 15" in 5 hours one evening trapping my at my college (Hocking Tech) over night.

I remember that April snowstorm very well too. My wife was past her due date for our first born. We lived close to where we are now near the OSU airport. I remember walking out to Bethel Road (then a two lane road for those of you familiar with Columbus) and wondering if an Ambulance would have trouble getting to us if she went into labor. There wasn't a soul on the roads. I believe it mostly melted the next day and it was 70 and sunny the day our son was born (the 20th - evidently due dates were not very accurate back then). 

that 1" latest on March 20th is shocking to me... (like I said, that was when I was away in college so I don't recall that)..that would seem almost impossible to beat.  Basically it would require a snow-less winter here.

The only thing I have going for me wrt my winter prediction was I said we would achieve slightly below normal snowfall but do it in a big way....maybe 1 or 2 big dogs.   Still a strong possibility.

Didn't Philly once have a winter without a single flake of snow?  I am thinking 72-73.  Talk about futility.  Columbus won't go all winter without having measurable snow, and we'll likely get several, but it's almost a guarantee that snowfall will be below to well below normal without a couple double-digit storms.  The data already supported that and it is turning out that way.

that 1" latest on March 20th is shocking to me... (like I said, that was when I was away in college so I don't recall that)..that would seem almost impossible to beat. Basically it would require a snow-less winter here.

The only thing I have going for me wrt my winter prediction was I said we would achieve slightly below normal snowfall but do it in a big way....maybe 1 or 2 big dogs. Still a strong possibility.

Actually March 30th.

Didn't Philly once have a winter without a single flake of snow?  I am thinking 72-73.  Talk about futility.  Columbus won't go all winter without having measurable snow, and we'll likely get several, but it's almost a guarantee that snowfall will be below to well below normal without a couple double-digit storms.  The data already supported that and it is turning out that way.

not sure if it was that winter.  We lived outside philly, (Bucks county), back in 74 until fall of 77 and I think I recall like one snowstorm and I believe it fell new years eve.

One of the meteorologists here in Columbus on channel 6 had to do a video explaining to people that we are not getting 4 to 6 inches on Sunday because I guess a lot of people were calling and asking about the snow for Sunday...lol

Archived