• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter

tnweathernut

I saw, Carver, your note in the Nino thread about leaves going early up there. You don't think it'll scream past peak by October 10? We are leaning toward Roan Mountain and the App Trail now. With a possible Fed Gov shutdown the Smokies and Blue Ridge are out. We are going the state park route. I figure Roan Mountain SP would be peaking at lower elevations even on the fastest scenario. Does that sound reasonable? I was hoping to get mid-mountain. I'm willing to see ridges past peak in exchange for the whole side of the mountain in a tapestry of color. Figure a valley peak would be great too since the actual state park is lower and those trails along the creek would be gorgeous.

Option two is the Tennessee state parks around Clarksville or even Frozen Head north of Knoxville. Those are at lower elevations. What does John see with the leaves on the Plateau?

I got southeast Tennessee figured out, but this year will venture elsewhere. Normally we visit the Smokies around mid-October; drive the Cherohala the next weekend; do local state parks or preserves the 4th weekend of October; and, the lowest elevations Halloween or first weekend of November. Those four weeks could arguably have a fifth up front, the Carolina Blue Ridge first weekend of October, but politics risk is present this year. Almost as annoying as storm chasing 2015 lol!

If you venture to west Tennessee looking for a good state park, I have to throw in Natchez Trace SP as a recommendation.  The Cub Creek Lake area (Campground 1 preferred) is beautiful, campsites right by the lake, nice hiking, seasonal boat rentals, rarely crowded in fall and winter, and I'm sure the trees will be blowing up with color.

My middle Tennessee pick would probably be Cedars of Lebanon SP.  No lakes but their pop-up/tent camping loop is one of the best in the state, good hiking with several trails that go around and through limestone sinks, and a guy down the road with the best variety of seasoned firewood you'll find.  My family will be there for a weekend in mid October.

East Tennessee, we've been on a big Cumberland Mountain SP kick lately.  It has some of the best hiking I've seen in the state, good food, huge campground (area 4 being by far the best), historic CCC dam and boat rentals on the lake.  You can get around the entire park pretty easily on a bike too.

Having said all that, despite us hitting state parks very often year round, we've still not made it over to Roan Mountain SP.  It may blow the others away.  Like I said before, I'm hoping to take the family there this fall or next spring at the latest.

Edit:  I should mention that all 3 of those parks I suggested are basically right on interstate 40, at most 15 minutes from an exit.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you venture to west Tennessee looking for a good state park, I have to throw in Natchez Trace SP as a recommendation.  The Cub Creek Lake area (Campground 1 preferred) is beautiful, campsites right by the lake, nice hiking, seasonal boat rentals, rarely crowded in fall and winter, and I'm sure the trees will be blowing up with color.

My middle Tennessee pick would probably be Cedars of Lebanon SP.  No lakes but their pop-up/tent camping loop is one of the best in the state, good hiking with several trails that go around and through limestone sinks, and a guy down the road with the best variety of seasoned firewood you'll find.  My family will be there for a weekend in mid October.

East Tennessee, we've been on a big Cumberland Mountain SP kick lately.  It has some of the best hiking I've seen in the state, good food, huge campground (area 4 being by far the best), historic CCC dam and boat rentals on the lake.  You can get around the entire park pretty easily on a bike too.

Having said all that, despite us hitting state parks very often year round, we've still not made it over to Roan Mountain SP.  It may blow the others away.  Like I said before, I'm hoping to take the family there this fall or next spring at the latest.

Edit:  I should mention that all 3 of those parks I suggested are basically right on interstate 40, at most 15 minutes from an exit.

Great info!

Considering a full phase event and the GFS, that's a beefy stream of moisture being channeled over Eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina. Obviously it's something to be concerned about if that does plays out with respect for potential major flooding.

Sent from my LG G4.

Well the flooding threat remains due to the movement of the trough and all the moisture that will be streaming inland; however, uhm... Probably giving up on that phase solution now. lol...

Sent from my LG G4.

We ended up going to the Roan Mountain area this last weekend. Sunday we hiked a short part of the Appalachian Trail from Carvers Gap. We went toward Maine. Toward Georgia looked like a little much for my young daughter. Monday we visited Roan Mountain State Park proper, at a lower elevation, and hiked the Raven Rock trail within the park.

Carvers Gap and above was past peak, as expected. However the tapestry below was as nice as we'd hoped for. Higher parts of Roan Mountain SP were peaking, including some of the trees on our trail. Picture is from the overlook across the valley. Thank you to those on the previous page for the pre-trip discussion. It was a great time!

Next project is a (long) daytrip to either Cherohala Skyway or Frozen Head State Park. Cherohala will be peaking at different elevations the next two weeks, but I've never been to Frozen Head. At about 2,200 FT I wonder if it will still be early for Frozen Head this weekend. Anyone at around 2,000 FT with good info? Thanks.

Appalachian Trail near Carvers Gap looking south, no enhancement

post-2545-0-67031600-1444869371_thumb.jp

Raven Rock Overlook looking north, slightly enhanced since clouds gave me no love

post-2545-0-50212500-1444869327_thumb.jp

We ended up going to the Roan Mountain area this last weekend. Sunday we hiked a short part of the Appalachian Trail from Carvers Gap. We went toward Maine. Toward Georgia looked like a little much for my young daughter. Monday we visited Roan Mountain State Park proper, at a lower elevation, and hiked the Raven Rock trail within the park.

Carvers Gap and above was past peak, as expected. However the tapestry below was as nice as we'd hoped for. Higher parts of Roan Mountain SP were peaking, including some of the trees on our trail. Picture is from the overlook across the valley. Thank you to those on the previous page for the pre-trip discussion. It was a great time!

Next project is a (long) daytrip to either Cherohala Skyway or Frozen Head State Park. Cherohala will be peaking at different elevations the next two weeks, but I've never been to Frozen Head. At about 2,200 FT I wonder if it will still be early for Frozen Head this weekend. Anyone at around 2,000 FT with good info? Thanks.

Appalachian Trail near Carvers Gap looking south, no enhancement

attachicon.gifAppTrail.jpg

Raven Rock Overlook looking north, slightly enhanced since clouds gave me no love

attachicon.gifRoan_Mtn.jpg

Crossed Sam's Gap twice this week and thought of you guys. I noticed that the NC side has many of their leaves stripped(not all trees) right up to the crest. I am assuming the heavy rains and wind may have done that. Was a big contrast when crossing over to TN. The best color seemed be around 4,000' last weekend, maybe 4,500'. Glad you all had a good time. When the rhododendrons bloom on top it is pretty awesome. They also have flame azaleas. Great pics!

Cherohala Skyway is lighting up in all its glory. Above 4,500 FT it is past peak, but dazzling mid-mountain displays are in effect from 3,000 to 4,500 FT with patches down to 2,500 FT. I prefer mid-mountain to tops only, so it was a gorgeous drive. Photos are from Saturday 17 Oct. Should be just as gorgeous today Sunday 18 Oct. Even next weekend will be great from 2,000 to 3,500 FT.

Also the Plateau will be peaking soon. Next weekend may be great looking down into the gulfs from the Plateau. If it rains over the weekend, might have to take off a week day. Plateau hikes are rarely crowded and usually quite rewarding. Fall Foliage 2015, my favorite in about 4 years thanks to clear weather, rolls on...

At Brushy Ridge, looking roadside but the overlook view the other way is also awesome.

post-2545-0-62064500-1445188574_thumb.jp

From Turkey Creek overlook, but looking up instead of across the valley. Note microclimes, WSW and WNW facing on the mountain.

post-2545-0-63764400-1445188607_thumb.jp

Planning on firing it up tonight for the first time this season! House was a little cool when I left this morning. I'm sure by tonight it'll be time to knock the chill off with a fire in the stove. Kids have been asking for weeks.

First fire two nights ago...trying to get two years ahead on wood supply. Got some free wood two weeks ago, silver maple. I know some don't like it, but my next door neighbor even had his tree guys cut it to lengths. And it was free. The tree was probably 60-80 years old. Just used the wood above the twisted trunk which was about 42" in diameter - maybe 4'. Anyway, hauled out six truck loads in my Tacoma. Looks like about three cords once I split it - rented a splitter. Read on hearth.com that it takes only about six months to dry...but I will not use it until next fall at the earliest. Gonna try try to add some oak and locust to mix with it. Again, all next year's wood. This year is already seasoned...mostly red oak, a little hickory, a little locust. My supply this year is a bit lower than I would like in an effort to build my year two stack. Gonna suck it up this year in order to get ahead.

Leaving the comforts of beautiful fall weather in Johnson City TN to head to Nashville tonight and then on to Tuscaloosa early in the morning for a little tailgating and then the Tenn vs. Alabama game.  Heading down with zero expectations so hoping to be surprised by a competitive game.

U brought us luck last year! Been to Legion Field three times but never BD. GBO!

Leaving the comforts of beautiful fall weather in Johnson City TN to head to Nashville tonight and then on to Tuscaloosa early in the morning for a little tailgating and then the Tenn vs. Alabama game.  Heading down with zero expectations so hoping to be surprised by a competitive game.

Last time I went on the road for TN-Bama Peyton hit Joey Kent on the first play for a TD. It was a great day to be a Vol. That was 20 years ago, reminds me that I'm getting old. :)

First fire two nights ago...trying to get two years ahead on wood supply. Got some free wood two weeks ago, silver maple. I know some don't like it, but my next door neighbor even had his tree guys cut it to lengths. And it was free.

Free is best. I'll burn anything if they cut it to length and give it away. :) Hickory, red oak, and locust are prime firewood. The locust can be a bit fussy to start a fire with, but it burns great and will last forever in the stack. Red Oak I like to actually wait three years on if I can. Great stuff, but dries slower than anything else I've tried. I'm a little spoiled at the moment. Most of my stacks are locust, red oak, and bois d'arc. Got a little pine for some quick burns and to start with, some other random stuff as well.

It was mighty close, Nut! Good job on nearly bringing the Vols home as winners! If they can beat the Cats on Halloween night in Lexington, I think they may just run the table from here on out. GBO

Archived