• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2015-16 Discussion

OKwx2K4

Probably Feb into early to mid-March. It's strong El-Nino climo. As the Nino fades, the Aleutian low pulls back to the west, leading to more of a -EPO, with energy slipping under the ridge across the southern US. Was hoping this would all happen sooner, but the Nino got too strong.

Yeah. Nino had a lot of backup from a peaking positive qbo also. Really has screwed this winter up. I don't really know where we go after spring this year but if there's 70s in January, probably multiple hundred degree days in this upcoming summer.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree, these temps are just insane! My friend in iowa hasn't even seen much snow if that tells ya anything! He said this is the least snowiest winter he has ever seen also, I believe they got probly a total of 9" so far even that far north lol. But yep this winter is pretty much done I feel, boring and depressing to say the least. I think this summer is going to be a scorcher

Agree, these temps are just insane! My friend in iowa hasn't even seen much snow if that tells ya anything! He said this is the least snowiest winter he has ever seen also, I believe they got probly a total of 9" so far even that far north lol. But yep this winter is pretty much done I feel, boring and depressing to say the least. I think this summer is going to be a scorcher

I'm not really sure what I think about the upcoming summer yet but one thing I have found to be really unusual is that it seems that the weather pattern from late August is the one that repeated itself over and over again this year. (Warm south-central then warm east) Can't really think of a whole lot of years where that has happened. It's really just been a head scratcher. There has to be some other factors to add or subtract to find what drove this thing besides just El Niño. I've already attributed what I could to the QBO and lack of ssw, but I know there's a lot more to it than that. It just sucks really.

I'm not really sure what I think about the upcoming summer yet but one thing I have found to be really unusual is that it seems that the weather pattern from late August is the one that repeated itself over and over again this year. (Warm south-central then warm east) Can't really think of a whole lot of years where that has happened. It's really just been a head scratcher. There has to be some other factors to add or subtract to find what drove this thing besides just El Niño. I've already attributed what I could to the QBO and lack of ssw, but I know there's a lot more to it than that. It just sucks really.

Yea man everything feels odd and out of place over the past few seasons, the summers havent even been that bad here yet like I was expecting(heat heat and more heat and humidity lol). I havent seen a really decent winter either since probly 2006-07. Because I cannot wrap my head around models and data I just keep logs and follow patterns of things I see happen over the years, its just so random and weird though anymore lol. We are all due for one hell of a winter yet though, it always seems to play out every 5-6 years it seems idk.

Yea man everything feels odd and out of place over the past few seasons, the summers havent even been that bad here yet like I was expecting(heat heat and more heat and humidity lol). I havent seen a really decent winter either since probly 2006-07. Because I cannot wrap my head around models and data I just keep logs and follow patterns of things I see happen over the years, its just so random and weird though anymore lol. We are all due for one hell of a winter yet though, it always seems to play out every 5-6 years it seems idk.

How long have you lived in this area? Post 2011 I assume?

Well history shows that strong El Nino's aren't usually good for our area. We were all just kind of staying positive hoping that it wouldn't be really horrible. There's still the chance we could get a big snowstorm or something still, through mid-march or so. But overall, this winter will be known largely as a non-winter. I got plants that are coming up out of the ground.

Fayetteville has had a lot of stinkers over the last few winters. Years with 1 inch or less of snow: 11-12; 08-09: 07-08; and 06-07. And now this yr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Wow crazy! A dusting, and it wasnt even that really, so far lol. Just barely covered the grass. This area just doesnt get much does it lol

Was July 2013 when we moved here to fayetteville.

You missed the 2 back to back greatest winters our area has had since the early 1900s. 09-10 and 10-11 were historic. 09-10 skewed my judgement on the Niño this year. I'd be glad if we didn't have another for 4 years. Lol

The entire 18Z GFS shows absolutely nothing near any of our areas... Until the end of the run (Feb. 20'ish), when it shows a nice system taking place over OK/KS, but as you can expect it shows it to be too warm for wintry precip with that system for any of us. (:

EDIT: In other words, prepare for utter boredom, as far as the weather goes, the next two weeks.

The entire 18Z GFS shows absolutely nothing near any of our areas... Until the end of the run (Feb. 20'ish), when it shows a nice system taking place over OK/KS, but as you can expect it shows it to be too warm for wintry precip with that system for any of us. (:

EDIT: In other words, prepare for utter boredom, as far as the weather goes, the next two weeks.

Winter's over. I'll be breaking out my lawnmower by March 15th this year probably.

12z Euro has a major winter storm..... starting Sun Feb 14th.  Probably a couple feet for MO/KS. Ice would be a problem as well. Cuts off at Day 10, but it would continue past that with the surface low around the Arklatex. 

Doubt it will happen.........

You missed the 2 back to back greatest winters our area has had since the early 1900s. 09-10 and 10-11 were historic. 09-10 skewed my judgement on the Niño this year. I'd be glad if we didn't have another for 4 years. Lol

Yea man my neighbor said a year or two(cant remember now, go figure lol) before we moved here there was like a 22" snowstorm? I dont know how accurate that statement was but my other neighbor was talking about it also. I cant imagine that much snow here, it would cripple this city haha. They are terrible with the roads here with even a few inches! I can only imagine

Archived