Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2015-16 Discussion

OKwx2K4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The low is weaker this run. Surface temps are colder farther south but 850 MB temps look to be above freezing the farther east you go, so the heaviest snow ends up in Texas with lesser amounts farther north... But... there would be a larger area of ice where surface temps are cold, but 850 MB temps above freezing.

acc10_1snowsc.png

So it actually gets cold enough for ice in NW AR even...

gfs_T2m_us_19.png

The low is weaker this run. Surface temps are colder farther south but 850 MB temps look to be above freezing the farther east you go, so the heaviest snow ends up in Texas with lesser amounts farther north... But... there would be a larger area of ice where surface temps are cold, but 850 MB temps above freezing.

acc10_1snowsc.png

So it actually gets cold enough for ice in NW AR even...

gfs_T2m_us_19.png

Wow, Fredericksburg/Kerrville (Hill Country towns not far west of Austin) get a couple or few inches from this on the GFS, and San Saba 6"+. Accumulating snow practically to I-35. 

Wow. Verbatim, the 0z GFS shows Oklahoma City being a battleground with 6"+ in the northwest corner of the county and, perhaps, 1" in the southeast corner with lots of ice for all before that. Taking off the weenie glasses, it looks like some pretty serious icing is possible for this area and for the entire I-44 corridor.

Ironically, I don't think the impacts of an ice storm will be nearly as bad as usual here in OKC because the Thanksgiving storm already took out just about every tree and limb that might possibly have been prone to snapping in an ice storm. We lost an insane amount of trees.

*sarcasm* Look at how consistent the GFS is being.

00Z GFS run on monday

acc10_1snowc.png

00Z GFS run on Tuesdayacc10_1snowc.png

00Z GFS run on wednesday (today)

acc10_1snowc.png

The low is stacking too quickly to provide much snow north of OK on the GFS. The negative tilt as it progresses north is also forcing too much warm air aloft on the north and east sides of the upper low, causing a larger ice/sleet zone there but less snow. These factors would take a widespread snowstorm in W TX to a localized affair in KS underneath the upper low and enough forcing/cold air in one spot. Models have been hinting at this for the last day or so. 

I guess if it's any consolation for us folks waiting on winter to show up, Gary Lezak still thinks that a lot of us will have plenty of fun starting first week of January through the last week of February. Can't believe December is already pretty much over.

Wow confusing to say the least, guess we will see as things get sampled better. I dont think anything is going to come of this for NW arkansas though, maybe Im wrong lol. Oh and thnx MoWeatherGuy, nice to see someone agrees with my crazy thinking on things haha. Maybe we will see some frozen precip, still a bit too early I think. Need a xmas miracle lol, I hate these balmy whacky temps especially during xmas eve and xmas day bleh.

Hi all! Forgot about this place since the weather hasn't been wintry!!! :) Hope you all have a merry Christmas. I am anxiously watching the weekend storm. May I just say that 5-8" of rain is better than 1" of ice.

Hi! I think the whole gang has made it back now. Now we just need winter to start!

Archived