• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2015-16 Discussion

OKwx2K4

I wonder how the cansips did last winter. I know the UK seasonal did fairly well last year so curious on what that shows in a couple of weeks.

Not sure, these things are kind of a crap shoot from more than a month out. It does look like the Oct outlook will probably get close to what Nov will probably turn out to be though.

cansips_z500a_namer_1.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Daylight savings time means the models come in an hour sooner. yay

It was foggy this morning, yet the sun was able to shine through so it looked pretty amazing out there.

Been some pretty decent fogs down this way the last week also. Fog and webworms webs all over the trees all the past week really set the mood for Halloween.

In the weeklies today.....

Still suggests that we get a southern storm track going as we head just past mid-Nov. +AO that gradually heads to around neutral by early Dec.  -PNA rising to around neutral as we go into early Dec. Nothing looks too interesting at this point in time. 

In the weeklies today.....

Still suggests that we get a southern storm track going as we head just past mid-Nov. +AO that gradually heads to around neutral by early Dec.  -PNA rising to around neutral as we go into early Dec. Nothing looks too interesting at this point in time.

Looks more canonical Nino at least by week 4 though. Still a raging ++AO...we made need a miracle to see a -AO by New Years.

Bit concerned about severe weather on Thursday....

12z Euro had some snow on the map across Nebraska and Iowa around the 12th, always nice to see that even if it doesn't happen.

Yeah. Been watching Thursday. If it gets warm enough, will have quite a bit to worry about I think. Had a hard time warming up today. Think I was the coolest spot in the state today at 64 degrees thanks to the clouds.

Hoping I can squeeze a frost out of the next cold front (maybe saturday) so I can mow my yard for the last time and put my mower up for the year.

Looks like the new SST CA is out. 

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wd51hd/sst/201510/carealtime.html

Compared to last month there was a slight shift west of the Aleutian low and resultant ridge up into Canada (perhaps due to warmer SST's farther west in the tropical Pacific?)

cahgt_anom.1.gif

Coldest temp anomalies might have nudged north in our area a tiny bit but pretty much unchanged:

cat2m_anom.1.gif

Precip is virtually unchanged:

caprec_anom.1.gif

Euro weeklies:

Looks to remains stormy across the SW and southern US into early Dec. Still looks like an Aleutian ridge, with Alaska being stormy, storminess may develop south of the Aleutians at the end of the first week of Dec. It does look like there will be more cold air intrusions, especially into the western US, then flowing out into the Plains.

+AO looks to hang on this run into early Dec with the -PNA gradually going to around positive. 

Well, fantasy snow in the long range is my cue to quit merely anonymously lurking the forum. Looking forward to this winter with y'all, and thanks to those of you who have kept things going around here.

Welcome back. I think as we get to the last part of the month and on into December things might get a little crazy around here.

Welcome back. I think as we get to the last part of the month and on into December things might get a little crazy around here.

Well the Euro ensembles/control definitely suggest something more exciting after about the 20th or so? That's when it starts strengthening the storm systems.

Well the Euro ensembles/control definitely suggest something more exciting after about the 20th or so? That's when it starts strengthening the storm systems.

Yeah. Sounds about right. I'll be noting the changes and trends throughout the next week or so of model runs now for sure. I'm starting to see a lot less ways to fail this year than I did last year. I just chose to ignore too many of them last year. Lol

There are many ways for this winter to be a dud. There are also ways for it to be pretty good. We have a huge basin wide El Nino out there, which we basically have never had ...at least as strong as this one. Sub tropical jet will likely be extremely active at times. Any real cold air intrusions probably won't last too long as the jet cuts it off and shunts it away. If we can get the STJ and the polar jet to combine a few times in the middle of the country we could get some blockbusters. It's going to be interesting to watch this pattern evolve. Unfortunately I need things to come further north up here near St. Louis than you folks down south. I have a feeling I'll be watching many a storm cruise by to my south.

There are many ways for this winter to be a dud. There are also ways for it to be pretty good. We have a huge basin wide El Nino out there, which we basically have never had ...at least as strong as this one. Sub tropical jet will likely be extremely active at times. Any real cold air intrusions probably won't last too long as the jet cuts it off and shunts it away. If we can get the STJ and the polar jet to combine a few times in the middle of the country we could get some blockbusters. It's going to be interesting to watch this pattern evolve. Unfortunately I need things to come further north up here near St. Louis than you folks down south. I have a feeling I'll be watching many a storm cruise by to my south.

Yeah. I think you folks up to the north could see some really nice phasing type storms this year. Those would be pretty epic just to see even from an onlookers standpoint.

I'm also curious about what the effect of the strong full basin Nino will be. I know El-Nino's tend to have more cutoffs and more southwest lows with split flow.

In other news the 12z GFS has a pretty big negative EPO spike which delivers cold air to the nation after the 20th.

gfs_T2ma_us_53.png

I'm also curious about what the effect of the strong full basin Nino will be. I know El-Nino's tend to have more cutoffs and more southwest lows with split flow.

In other news the 12z GFS has a pretty big negative EPO spike which delivers cold air to the nation after the 20th.

gfs_T2ma_us_53.png

Geez! That escalated quickly. Lol

Archived