joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Autumn BANTER

dmillz25

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we'll catch at least a few glimpses of the eclipse tomorrow evening. The GFS has pretty widespread clearing (according to this product's algorithm, at least... not sure how it works) between 0z and 06z, with greatest eclipse right around 3z.

gfs_cfractot_neus_7.png

according to the 0z runs we will all enjoy the eclipse

checked the GFS model again.

No large scale rain going out 7 days.

wondering when your other models will be better.

Facts are the new GFS is better short term and long term.

Regards.

Eh I wouldn't go that far, for example the 18z had barely 0.25" of rain and the 0z shows 4"+ from a closed low type scenario and this is under 7 days.

Norfolk, CT in Litchfield County with there 100 inch annual average.

For Jersey, if you can't build a cabin on top of High Point...maybe somewhere on the east slopes of those ridges that spring up in western Passaic County in the vicinity of West Milford...where spots over the 800' contour likely exceed 50 inches of snow annually.

In Westchester, probably in the northeast section of the county... away from the Hudson and high up...maybe near Pound Ridge or just west of Danbury, CT...probably has a mean pushing 45 inches over the 500' foot level.

thx Pam. I never considered CT. I will do some research on the area Can't believe nw ct gets that much

thx Pam. I never considered CT. I will do some research on the area Can't believe nw ct gets that much

The station (Norfolk) is at 1337'.  During the 1955-56 winter they picked up 177 inches of snow; including 73.6" in March alone. 

They are sort of on a plateau; a lower extension of the Green Mountain / Berkshire chain.  Several atmospheric physicists have posited that being on a plateau, as Norfolk is, is even more precip. inducing than being on a mountaintop.  The friction generated from the interplay of wind & land optimizes the rain & snow making process over the aforementioned plateau.

Moreover, from a purely geographic perspective, Norfolk is ideally located to get the best (relative to other locales) of both offshore cyclones and ones moving in from the west. (Sort of like what we see in the overlaps of a Venn Diagram). They also get some rotting lake effect. 

I never got to see Arod hit a homer at the stadium.

a wsw wind would blow out towards center field in the old stadium...a nw wind would blow toward right field...Mantle hit what he thought was a pop up and threw his bat in disgust...Fortunately for him it was a wsw windy day in August 1964 and the ball kept going until it landed in the bleachers 500ft from home plate...the weather plays a part of any out door sport...the walk off he hit in the u tube video had a nw wind blowing toward right field...that home run didn't need any help from the wind...

post-343-0-19703500-1443359435_thumb.jpg

a wsw wind would blow out towards center field in the old stadium...a nw wind would blow toward right field...Mantle hit what he thought was a pop up and threw his bat in disgust...Fortunately for him it was a wsw windy day in August 1964 and the ball kept going until it landed in the bleachers 500ft from home plate...the weather plays a part of any out door sport...the walk off he hit in the u tube video had a nw wind blowing toward right field...that home run didn't need any help from the wind...

He hit one 565 in 1953 in Wash. 

The station (Norfolk) is at 1337'.  During the 1995-56 winter they picked up 177 inches of snow; including 73.6" in March alone. 

They are sort of on a plateau; a lower extension of the Green Mountain / Berkshire chain.  Several atmospheric physicists have posited that being on a plateau, as Norfolk is, is even more precip. inducing than being on a mountaintop.  The friction generated from the interplay of wind & land optimizes the rain & snow making process over the aforementioned plateau.

Moreover, from a purely geographic perspective, Norfolk is ideally located to get the best (relative to other locales) of both offshore cyclones and ones moving in from the west. (Sort of like what we see in the overlaps of a Venn Diagram). They also get some rotting lake effect.

thats exactly why I asked you Pam. That geographic location is something to really ponder..not too far north, close enough east to get coastals...road trip to follow

You asked the best location in NY that receives good annual snow. If you want the best, the answer is the Tug Hill region east of Lake Ontario. This is the place for epic lake effect snows. If you want to take a road trip, that's you're spot.

thats exactly why I asked you Pam. That geographic location is something to really ponder..not too far north, close enough east to get coastals...road trip to follow

Here are some *really* excellent annual snowfall maps...I would draw your attention to numbers 18, 19, 20, 21, & 22 in particular:

http://weathercarrot.smugmug.com/Weathercarrot-photos/AT-Snow-Maps/

Archived