Newest Member
    joxey
Met Autumn BANTER

dmillz25

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truth

Maybe I should get promoted to moderator...then I would be able to exercise more negative control over the posts of others and the added bonus of quasi-impunity no matter what I should choose to share with the group...

today in 1961 NYC had a max of 78 and a min of 59 and this happened...

With Mantle hitting behind him, Roger Maris was never intentionally walked all season. He mostly likely also saw a ton of good pitches to hit (also due to Mantle batting behind him). Maris had an amazing season, as did Mantle.

On the Metrocentre site (a very good site at that)...they seem to have added the  MF-ARPEGE model....which I guess is one of the more renowned weather models to come out of France.  Is it a good model and worth a look prior to potentially noteworthy weather?

On the Metrocentre site (a very good site at that)...they seem to have added the  MF-ARPEGE model....which I guess is one of the more renowned weather models to come out of France.  Is it a good model and worth a look prior to potentially noteworthy weather?

Well, I came up with this...whatever it implies...the characterization of it as a "LAM" model sounds good...given all the success of the RGEM LAM (also known as the HRDPS). 

 AROME is a non-hydrostatic LAM

 Physical parametrizations come from Méso-Nh

 It runs over France (coupling model is ARPEGE)

 3DVAR data assimilation

 Presently 2.5km, 60 levels (more levels than ARPEGE in the PBL)

Well, I came up with this...whatever it implies...the characterization of it as a "LAM" model sounds good...given all the success of the RGEM LAM (also known as the HRDPS). 

 AROME is a non-hydrostatic LAM

 Physical parametrizations come from Méso-Nh

 It runs over France (coupling model is ARPEGE)

 3DVAR data assimilation

 Presently 2.5km, 60 levels (more levels than ARPEGE in the PBL)

Some more for those with a technical bent...

http://www.euclipse.eu/downloads/Presentaties_EDMF_Delft_juni2011/YB_edmf_meeting_ppt_%5BAlleen-lezen%5D.pdf

Arod has had some moon shots as well.

I'd even take Dave Winfield over that one...though I've not actually watched a baseball game (or really any sporting event, for that matter) since the Red Sox changed the 2004 ALCS from an 0-3 series to a 4-3 series.   Probably yet another blessing in disguise....given the inordinate amount of time I spent on that stuff prior.  Everything happens for a reason...

I'd even take Dave Winfield over that one...though I've not actually watched a baseball game (or really any sporting event, for that matter) since the Red Sox changed the 2004 ALCS from an 0-3 series to a 4-3 series.   Probably yet another blessing in disguise....given the inordinate amount of time I spent on that stuff prior.  Everything happens for a reason...

Just on a whim, I googled "MLB Standings"...something I haven't looked at since I discontinued getting the NY Post at home a decade ago...it looks like the Yankees are the wild card team.  But the thing that shocked me was seeing the Houston Astros now in the American League and the Milwaukee Brewers now in the National League...it truly is an upside down world I landed in...

that game was my inflection point as well. Didn't even finish watching the game and I haven't felt the same since about baseball...or sports....before that game I really loved the sport...played it up through college as well....

that game was my inflection point as well. Didn't even finish watching the game and I haven't felt the same since about baseball...or sports....before that game I really loved the sport...played it up through college as well....

I do know the team went way downhill the next 10 years; so I guess we did not miss anything!

Edit:  I think they won around 2009 or 2010...but since it was not in the *real* Yankee Stadium...I'm not sure if it counts!

That 1996 - 2001 group though; they were pretty close to the best ever...definitely better then the 1975-76 Reds & arrogant Sparky Anderson; with his "don't embarrass Munson by comparing him to Bench".  The guy looked 70 when he was 38 and no objective person could say otherwise.

The first Yankee game I went to was in 1961...the last time I saw them at the stadium was in 1997...I saw them loose twice in Tampa at the Trap...The Mick breaking Ruths world series record on a cold October night...The temperature hit a record low the next morning...

They lost that one in 7 IIRC (1964); Bob Gibson was on the mound for the Cardinals...I recall St Louis opened up a 6-0 lead; a three run hr by someone on the Yanks cut it to 6-3...but the Cards hung on to win like 7-4 or 7-5 to clinch the W.S...old Sportsman's Park.

I do know the team went way downhill the next 10 years; so I guess we did not miss anything!

Edit:  I think they won around 2009 or 2010...but since it was not in the *real* Yankee Stadium...I'm not sure if it counts!

That 1996 - 2001 group though; they were pretty close to the best ever...definitely better then the 1975-76 Reds & arrogant Sparky Anderson; with his "don't embarrass Munson by comparing him to Bench".  The guy looked 70 when he was 38 and no objective person could say otherwise.

agreed, what teams they had that 98 squad was somethin else....on a side note I've been reading here for years....I know u know your geography and climatology of our area...what's your opinion on best area To live in NY for good annual snow...such a large state....too far north and winter lingers too long....too far south avg snow drops off...any thoughts on the subject?

agreed, what teams they had that 98 squad was somethin else....on a side note I've been reading here for years....I know u know your geography and climatology of our area...what's your opinion on best area To live in NY for good annual snow...such a large state....too far north and winter lingers too long....too far south avg snow drops off...any thoughts on the subject?

Tug Hill region east of Lake Ontario.

They lost that one in 7 IIRC (1964); Bob Gibson was on the mound for the Cardinals...I recall St Louis opened up a 6-0 lead; a three run hr by someone on the Yanks cut it to 6-3...but the Cards hung on to win like 7-4 or 7-5 to clinch the W.S...old Sportsman's Park.

they lost the next game after leading 3-0 in the first inning...Mantle hit three bombs that series...

Norfolk, CT in Litchfield County with their 100 inch annual average.

For Jersey, if you can't build a cabin on top of High Point...maybe somewhere on the east slopes of those ridges that spring up in western Passaic County in the vicinity of West Milford...where spots over the 800' contour likely exceed 50 inches of snow annually.

In Westchester, probably in the northeast section of the county... away from the Hudson and high up...maybe near Pound Ridge or just west of Danbury, CT...probably has a mean pushing 45 inches over the 500' foot level.

Oh; re-reading...I thought you meant in the NYC metro...Ray Jay is quite right...on the Tug Hill Plateau...Hooker cracked 450 inches during the memorable 1976-77 winter.

The best W.S. of the 1960's was definitely 1968.  Denny Mclain won 30 and was expected to dominate...and then he did lousy in the Series...but Mickey Lolich came out of nowhere to really take over...and then  Curt Flood lost the ball in the white shirts at the new Busch Stadium to let the Tigers have a rare world championship in seven.

Would be an epic way to usher in October if the Euro verifies. Massive closed low centered over Eastern KY with a direct feed coming from the Bahamas. If only we had a tropical system near there....

checked the GFS model again.

No  large scale rain going out 7 days.

wondering when your other models will be better.

Facts are the new GFS is better short term and long  term.

Regards.

Archived