• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 21, 2017 (was "2 Years From Today!")

rbowman

August 21, 2017 will be a once in a lifetime event for most of us on this forum. Much of middle Tennessee will experience a total solar eclipse. Looking forward to this, and just 2 years to go.

Yep, this is on my radar. I'll drive wherever need be to get clear skies to witness the event. Once in a lifetime for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

Total Solar in 2017 requires booking a few motel rooms along the route, a hedge against weather. Make sure they have good cancel rules; then, cancel all but one when the forecast becomes clear. We get another long track total solar across the Continental US in 2024 and I plan on seeing both. I would recommend chaser mentality, even with the certain forecast. Plan ahead for obstacles, traffic, overzealous police, dueling banjos, or whatever else might come up. Cheers!

Total Solar in 2017 requires booking a few motel rooms along the route, a hedge against weather. Make sure they have good cancel rules; then, cancel all but one when the forecast becomes clear. We get another long track total solar across the Continental US in 2024 and I plan on seeing both. I would recommend chaser mentality, even with the certain forecast. Plan ahead for obstacles, traffic, overzealous police, dueling banjos, or whatever else might come up. Cheers!

TxMVWKz.gif

I've been looking forward to this for the better part of the new millennium. Thinking it might be fun to experience the festivities in Hopkinsville, but there are probably a thousand quieter spots where totality is less than a second shorter. I trust that, as usual, the weather will ultimately make the decision easy for me...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This event has been on my radar for a long time.  I've never experienced a TOTAL solar eclipse (I've seen an ANNULAR eclipse), and to have one right in our backyard is truly historic.  Basically, the path of totality crosses right over the Plateau into east TN just south and west of Knoxville. There is no need for me to get a hotel room!  I'm taking the day off, and just driving down 411 and finding a spot along the path.  However, if the weather doesn't cooperate nearby, I'm up for a road trip.  Fortunately, the eclipse occurs in August.  Climatologically speaking, that's usually a sunnier time of the year around here. 

TN_web.jpg

This event has been on my radar for a long time.  I've never experienced a TOTAL solar eclipse (I've seen an ANNULAR eclipse), and to have one right in our backyard is truly historic.  Basically, the path of totality crosses right over the Plateau into east TN just south and west of Knoxville. There is no need for me to get a hotel room!  I'm taking the day off, and just driving down 411 and finding a spot along the path.  However, if the weather doesn't cooperate nearby, I'm up for a road trip.  Fortunately, the eclipse occurs in August.  Climatologically speaking, that's usually a sunnier time of the year around here. 

TN_web.jpg

We should coordinate a forum meetup for this.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2016 at 7:17 PM, Hoosier said:

I read that many places are already booked in the West (climo favors less cloudiness there).

Wow, that's pretty crazy.

I still haven't decided where I'll be setting up shop. Sort of thinking about Lake Marion in SC, since it's a relatively picturesque area for eclipse landscape photos, and probably the easiest drive to anywhere along the totality path.

• 5 months later...
14 minutes ago, rbowman said:

Once in a lifetime event! I'm stoked for it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I should be right in the most totality; I tried to find when the next total solar eclipse will take place over TN. Seems like there was one when I was in elementary school which would have been late 1970's

• Mr Bob changed the title to August 21, 2017 (was "2 Years From Today!")
  • Mr Bob pinned this topic

I had planned on booking 3-4 motels from here to the High Plains as cloud insurance, but procrastination struck. SC booked? Hopefully the Plains is not. Probably got places to stay along the way to at least KC if not a motel. Actually another total solar eclipse comes in 2024. They are streaky. Nothing for 40 years and then two in several years. Still traffic and motel rooms could make a storm chase in central Oklahoma seem like light traffic.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received a Black Polymer Solar Filter for my Nikon DSLR.  My largest zoom is a mere 200mm, so I'm not sure how well the photos will turn out but I want to be able to photograph the eclipse while it is progressing. I have used solar filters previously at work for our surveying instrument in order to conduct sun shots. I'm sure y'all know their importance!

Someone once asked if a person could conduct a sun shot with a surveying instrument without a solar filter.

My reply was "You can but only twice. Once with each eye." :D

Camping in rural areas also offers the added benefit: Get out the scopes the night before or after for other viewing. I think we will book 1-2 hours off path and position early morning. It is a gamble, hopefully no worse than chasing central Oklahoma, lol!

If the weather looks good here it will be a local project, which is my wish. I'm not sure I'd go for a scenic spot due to crowds. A total eclipse will blow your mind even on the flattest plains. Think parking lots of churches, schools, hospitals, anything not really commercial and with low risk of getting booted.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic