Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Danny (2015)

jburns

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a temperature spread inside/outside the eye. 7/25

yeah it is, the sun is setting and the towers around the eye are looking good, I wonder if it is going through some kind of ERC, a lot of times these smaller system have these peaks and then relax their wind fields which in turn broaden the wind field making the system larger......then they pop a new eye usually bigger than before and spin back up....if that is what is happening he doesn't have much time left to get back to a stable eye....but the towers on the west side look as good as any I have seen in the center so far.

Watching the hunters on goggle earth and Miss Piggy has been tasked with getting some data from the area out in front which isn't something you see her do too much, Gonzo flew through the shear area and did find plenty of 20-35mph shear so that's gonna hurt...

NHC disco talks like today's stock market...

Danny has likely peaked in intensity based on the signs of shear inthe cloud pattern, stronger upper-level winds present west of thecyclone, and abundant nearby dry air.  Although it starts from ahigher initial intensity than the previous forecast, the newintensity forecast still calls for Danny to weaken below hurricanestrength at about 48 hours.  After that, the system should continueto weaken as it moves near or over the Greater Antilles in closeproximity to an upper-level trough.  The GFS/ECWMF/UKMET modelsall forecast Danny to degenerate to a tropical wave by 120 hours, sothe new intensity forecast compromises between this extreme and theSHIPS/LGEM models, which forecast a stronger cyclone at that time.NOAA and Air Force Reserve Unit reconnaissance aircraft willinvestigate Danny again Saturday afternoon.  These data will providea better assessment of the intensity and structure of the hurricane.FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDSINIT  21/2100Z 14.5N  49.1W  100 KT 115 MPH 12H  22/0600Z 15.0N  50.5W   95 KT 110 MPH 24H  22/1800Z 15.5N  52.7W   85 KT 100 MPH 36H  23/0600Z 15.9N  55.2W   70 KT  80 MPH 48H  23/1800Z 16.3N  57.8W   60 KT  70 MPH 72H  24/1800Z 17.5N  62.5W   55 KT  65 MPH 96H  25/1800Z 18.5N  67.0W   50 KT  60 MPH120H  26/1800Z 19.5N  71.5W   35 KT  40 MPH...INLAND

NHC doesn't sound impressed. Has it weakening and going right over the islands.

The NHC gives clues to their thinking in the disco they are south of center on the guidance for now but that is weighted on the GFS and Euro which is odd since they both are doing terrible with the storm both have it has a weak TS at best when they initialize.......the ens for them also are all north.....

Spaghetti plots show this nicely

The dry air hasnt been as big a factor as was thought so far, mostly due to Danny having a well formed and effecient LLC, the key to his survival is maintaining that strong LLC. He is gonna have a rough night tonight  and even worse day tomorrow, hopefully his strengthening today will be enough to offset total destruction. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get down to minimal TS but I also wouldn't be shocked if he does better than expected with the shear, with a strong efficient and small inner core he might be able to replace the storms around the center fast enough to keep the center intact and most of the dry air out.....that's the least likely outcome though 30 knts of shear is usually pretty brutal on TC

The SW side flattening out due to the shear getting going but he is still firing good storms around the center

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/04L/flash-rbtop-long.html

Danny has to avoid Hispaniola to have a chance. Given that the NHC track is still south of the majority of guidance, I think there is a chance Danny comes out better than expected. We'll just have to see. This is what I love about tropical. Sometimes, no one knows what is going to happen..

Yeah that's why I love the people that are soooooo sure they know whats gonna happen, like folks saying it was impossible or extremely unlikely for Danny to make Cat 3. I try really hard to not to use terms definitive terms or tell others they are way off base unless it is based on solid evidence. Sometimes you just have to fall back on experience, seems as time goes on people rely on the models to much.

Danny trying really hard to get a eye back lol, and he is gaining some latitude, might be that he is so small that he is pushed much further N than expected and that would translate to a much better chance of a recurve down the road.

Yeah that's why I love the people that are soooooo sure they know whats gonna happen, like folks saying it was impossible or extremely unlikely for Danny to make Cat 3. I try really hard to not to use terms definitive terms or tell others they are way off base unless it is based on solid evidence. Sometimes you just have to fall back on experience, seems as time goes on people rely on the models to much.

Danny trying really hard to get a eye back lol, and he is gaining some latitude, might be that he is so small that he is pushed much further N than expected and that would translate to a much better chance of a recurve down the road.

He's weakening now, it won't be cat 3 at 11 IMO. I didn't think he would make cat 3 overnight, I said there was a near zero chance he would (he didn't) I never said impossible, I don't think anyone said that actually. If you're going to call me out like that it's fine, (even though you're wrong) but don't pretend you were great in your predictions.

He's weakening now, it won't be cat 3 at 11 IMO. I didn't think he would make cat 3 overnight, I said there was a near zero chance he would (he didn't) I never said impossible, I don't think anyone said that actually. If you're going to call me out like that it's fine, (even though you're wrong) but don't pretend you were great in your predictions.

I thought I addressed this yesterday.  Keep this up and I will ban both of you until Danny becomes a tropical wave.  This is a statement, not an invitation for debate.

danny's moisture continues to keep most of the dry air at bay, and the big batch of it to his west seems to be retreating north a bit.  if he can keep that convection firing around the coc he has a great chance of surviving this.  and models continue to tick north of the islands.

wv_lalo-animated.gif

nkbDO32.gif

I gotta say he looks a lot better this morning than I expect, he is able to keep good convection firing around the center and is now well into the area of shear, and if anything his outflow is improving. That said the worst of the shear is still to come. You can still see the western side flattening a bit from the shear but it gonna take more than this to stop Danny it appears. It will be tough for NHC to ignore the north trend much longer......the fact he is hanging tough and the models now almost all keep him as a t least a TS through the period mean more than likely Danny will be around for awhile. The 06Z spaghetti plots and intensity forecast.....

Archived