• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe threat/ Heavy rain SE SNE 08/11 disco

Damage In Tolland

Models seem to be honing in again on areas that have gotten blasted all summer with a low end spinner and/or wind damage threat on Tuesday. Warm SST's should help fuel any early AM convection.

Hopefully for the parched areas of SNE and CNE that have been missed all summer there's at least some rain .. But seems best threat is the new severe Wx capital of SE SNE

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some pretty impressive signals for a period...perhaps a couple periods of extremely heavy rains on Tuesday, especially in any embedded convection.  Some spots could end up getting 2-3'' of rainfall on Tuesday (maybe even slightly higher depending on how things transpire).  

Looks like the warm front may stall across central New England and south of the warm front you have a LLJ potentially as strong as 30-35 knots from the south or southeast overspreading boat loads of moisture into some pretty strong lift.  

Def for severe , but also heavy rains. Wherever the convection goes.. NW of that gets robbed. We've seen this same setup 3-4 times this summer

I agree with regards to the heavy rains, however, I don't think there is much severe potential with this setup.  Yes anytime with these setups you stand a very low chance for maybe a isolated wet microburst or a quick spin-up, however, with a setup say like last week you want to see pretty steep lapse rates and sfc dews rising into the lower 70's and very strong shear, especially in the mid-levels.  You also want to have the presence of dry air in the mid-levels to enhance lapse rates and increase downburst potential.  

With this setup you have a very saturated column throughout the atmosphere and this makes it very difficult to maintain and achieve solid cape values.  Any cape is "water logged" and when that occurs the threat quickly shifts more towards heavy rain. 

I think we will see two areas of max rainfall, one occurring right near the triple point where you have enhanced lift (isentropic lift with the warm front, lift from approaching cold front, and jet support), and strong moisture advection overriding this lift.  The second access will be right where you indicated.  

I agree with regards to the heavy rains, however, I don't think there is much severe potential with this setup. Yes anytime with these setups you stand a very low chance for maybe a isolated wet microburst or a quick spin-up, however, with a setup say like last week you want to see pretty steep lapse rates and sfc dews rising into the lower 70's and very strong shear, especially in the mid-levels. You also want to have the presence of dry air in the mid-levels to enhance lapse rates and increase downburst potential.

With this setup you have a very saturated column throughout the atmosphere and this makes it very difficult to maintain and achieve solid cape values. Any cape is "water logged" and when that occurs the threat quickly shifts more towards heavy rain.

I think we will see two areas of max rainfall, one occurring right near the triple point where you have enhanced lift (isentropic lift with the warm front, lift from approaching cold front, and jet support), and strong moisture advection overriding this lift. The second access will be right where you indicated.

Which all points to the rich NNE and SE NE getting most of the sig rains while the middle sees scattered showers

Which all points to the rich NNE and SE NE getting most of the sig rains while the middle sees scattered showers

On the GFS at least the LLJ actually ramps up pretty good across CT and there are other parameters in place which actually could allow for a decent slug of rain to push right across the state.  

Why anyone would wish for rain this time of year is beyond me....

Yeah, gardens can be watered, grass I don't care about.

That being said, many lawns around here are starting to look fried so I'm sure some would appreciate rain.

The NAM outcome would not surprise me though, it's been a few weeks of 7/10 splits for W SNE.

Just looking at the BTV4, quite the impressive low level jet for early/mid August ripping north up eastern New York and western New England. 

It's got a core of 60kts at H85 moving north from BGM to ALB to BTV.  Going to be a breezy day in the Champlain Valley where they can get much better mixing.  Summits should also see some fairly strong winds.

Just trying to get mets opinions on who gets what and why. What is the harm there?

It seemed overly specific.  I'm not sure you can pin it down in such a small area.  You seemed like you are looking for a county by county break-down of who sees what.  If you just look at the 6z and 12z guidance, each model is slightly different in placements of features and it looks convective in nature.  One model will have a quarter inch of rain here, while the next will have 1.5".  It looks "streaky" with multiple bands of haves and have nots.  I'm not sure anyone is going to pin that down. 

Archived