Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Potential biggest severe outbreak of the Summer

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of coworkers with car damage. I have to take a closer look at mine...lol.

Yeah you should check if it was parked outdoors. Amazed how many cars with dings... This must have been an insurance bonanza.

What an incredible rarity for the Boston area. 2" hail on the ground in Longwood. Still have to figure out how to upload my video in original resolution.

I was curious to see if a spout could form with the lower level winds backing along the coast.

Loved your "It's mixing!!" post.

It's like resetting a circuit breaker in your house only on a larger scale.  There's already power there, just on one side of the circuit.  Reset the breaker and the power is flowing.  Remote control circuit breakers already exist.  I agree though that if power is not present, you couldn't reset the circuit or it would do no good.

I don't know exactly what caused the following sequence, but wonder if a remote reset might've been in play:

On the evening of July 19 we had a TS that produced 30+ strikes/minute for at least half an hour, along with 1"+ rain though little wind.  One CG apparently (guessing from direction and flash-boom interval) struck right where our gravel road with its 3 customers intersects with the paved road with a heavier line, and our power went dark.  Given the huge number of strikes, we figured there were lots of outages and we'd be tail-end Charlie getting re-lighted, but it was barely over one hour.  It's hard to believe that a field crew reached our itty-bitty outage that quickly, though I certainly didn't walk out the road in the +RA and lightning to check on their presence or non-presence.  

I noticed this too as I was driving up 93 on the North side of the Merrimack looking west between exit 46 and 47.   This is at the same time around 2:45-2:50.  The storms at the time around then were not too impressive.  I believe it is just scud.

post-1304-0-50138500-1438874217_thumb.jp

post-1304-0-61763000-1438874228_thumb.jp

post-1304-0-83298800-1438874235_thumb.jp

attachicon.gif1.jpg

This wasn't even part of the main storm.  It was like five minutes ahead of the actual wall cloud. 

attachicon.gif2.jpg

Scudnado!!!

attachicon.gif5.jpg

Dumping hail to the east

attachicon.gif7.jpg

Next one coming in. 

attachicon.gif9.jpg

The last picture before leaving.  Unfortunately I wasn't far enough south to get a view of the rain free base if there was any. 

How do I embed videos?

That first picture is pretty classic hybrid supercell structure. Not so HP that the wall cloud is buried, but definitely on its way to becoming HP.

Those ML lapse eyes were key. Lot of shear outside of the lowest levels too...otherwise we were prob talking multiple TORs

I mean just look at what happened when these storms got around some boundaries. Our storms up here didn't go to town until they reached the pseudo-sea breeze front. That extra low level shear helped the cores reach fairly unprecedented heights for around these parts.

I would hazard a guess that the BOS cell did something similar with maybe a leftover outflow boundary from the morning stuff.

I mean just look at what happened when these storms got around some boundaries. Our storms up here didn't go to town until they reached the pseudo-sea breeze front. That extra low level shear helped the cores reach fairly unprecedented heights for around these parts.

I would hazard a guess that the BOS cell did something similar with maybe a leftover outflow boundary from the morning stuff.

The Boston cell looked like it got some help from the boundary shoved south from the cell that was north of it earlier.

Hard to really analyze this stuff in real time due to time constraints, but some really neat graphics were grabbed by our SOO during post-analysis.

post-44-0-79685700-1438957351_thumb.png

Cross sections of ZDR showed a protrusion of high ZDR well above the freezing level. This is what we call a ZDR column, and is evidence of a very strong updraft lofting liquid water into a region of the atmosphere that is well below freezing.

post-44-0-11660600-1438957357_thumb.png

At the same time, part of what the radar was sampling was very poorly correlated. Meaning not only was there liquid water in this are of the storm, but also very large hail stones (CC < 0.80-0.60).

Hard to really analyze this stuff in real time due to time constraints, but some really neat graphics were grabbed by our SOO during post-analysis.

attachicon.gifZDR.png

Cross sections of ZDR showed a protrusion of high ZDR well above the freezing level. This is what we call a ZDR column, and is evidence of a very strong updraft lofting liquid water into a region of the atmosphere that is well below freezing.

attachicon.gifCC.png

At the same time, part of what the radar was sampling was very poorly correlated. Meaning not only was there liquid water in this are of the storm, but also very large hail stones (CC < 0.80-0.60).

That's a great example of a ZDR column on a cross section. I imagine if that updraft was able to maintain itself for an extra 10-15 minutes the baseball reports would have been more widepread. Reduced residence time for hail undergoing wet growth since that thing pulsed so quickly?

Nice mie scattering example too - impressive. 

That's a great example of a ZDR column on a cross section. I imagine if that updraft was able to maintain itself for an extra 10-15 minutes the baseball reports would have been more widepread. Reduced residence time for hail undergoing wet growth since that thing pulsed so quickly?

Nice mie scattering example too - impressive. 

It's probably true. It was really just a handful of volume scans before it was out over the water.

That first picture is pretty classic hybrid supercell structure. Not so HP that the wall cloud is buried, but definitely on its way to becoming HP.

That makes a lot of sense. The transition happened really fast. Scud and rain started accelerating behind the wall cloud and pretty much out ran it to the southwest side.

Imagine being on this plane...

Pilots of a Delta Airlines flight 1889 had to make an emergency landing - without being able to see out of the windshield - after baseball-sized hailstones wrecked the front of the plane. 

The hail also destroyed the GPS navigation system at the front of the aircraft, which was flying from Boston to Salt Lake City on Friday night. 

The pilots managed to land in Denver - where the passengers could see the extent of the damage to the Airbus 320's cone. 

Many said they were lucky to be alive after relatively normal turbulence became a 'roller coaster' up in the air.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3190510/Delta-flight-make-blind-emergency-landing-hail-storm-gives-plane-cracked-windshield-damaged-nose.html#ixzz3iGPFZo6t 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I would like to know how, with on-board radar, how could they fly into that.

I'm actually amazed at how bad some pilots are with the on-board radars.

From the training I've done, those radars aren't anything like our WSR-88Ds. Basically they suffer from attenuation in heavy precip. So in some cases the big hail cores completely block out echoes down radial, thus pilots see a clear screen and head for that "gap" when in actuality it's the worst part of the storm.

But in this case, I mean it had to have been a fairly isolated supercell right? How does one just fly into that?

Archived