• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 1st-7th Severe Weather Threat

HillsdaleMIWeather

How often do you see a Toronto to Chicago squall line?

It's a little more broken up in the middle than it was about an hour ago, but still cool.

This reminds me so strongly of August 2, 2006 despite the synoptics being quite different and the squall line being longer and more to the south the further west the line was. What a coincidental date match, and there are other factors that are similar to 9 years ago. I had 2 rounds while 2006 had 1.

Here is a picture of that storm near Pigeon, pretty incredible to say the least.

Absolutely nuts. Probably one of the best ones from MI overall.

I was still getting loud and very deep rumblers with some occasional bright flashes at 1:10 am, which is crazy. In fact, one knocked out my power for the first time this year after midnight for 5 minutes. The last few years have had these types of after event lightning shows for some reason, long after the main show is over - it just goes on for hours after. I'm on the edge of the precipitation shield as well.

What a neat event, just after stating how boring severe wise it was getting, we're all mostly treated to a meal that was memorable. The 2nd round was potent and ominous since it was moving 100 km/h or a tad less and showed intense lightning. It got very dark and was just black to my west with vicious, very frequent lightning! The sound and feel made it seem pretty bad but it was just on par with the other one but much more lightning; had some gusts and dinging noises from non-visible hail. I was hoping for much larger hail and higher winds but no dice. The southern part of that MCS piece did a lot of damage in the town of Tiviadale where houses and barns suffered major damage which was reported on FB. I really hope someone was archiving TWN coverage during the peak rounds because they messed up real bad on my end. I was already thinking disparaging thoughts about TWN earlier yesterday even before the severe rolled in so that was just the cherry on top. I must have gotten over 50 mm (2 inches) of rain from this. Also the timing of the storms arriving was perfect.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got cable and internet back on here where I am in Allegan county. Lightning took it out last night. Power stayed up though. 

The storm was quite impressive, especially the lightning. We had rogue strikes with thunder until well after midnight. The cloud-to-cloud lightning had to have been the best I've seen in years... Seems like these kind of, as my mom would call it, "electrical" storms happen during the daytime moreso than post-nightfall.

The sardine can cottage survived okay and other than a decent armload of kindling for the firepit. I don't see anything as far as wind damage in my immediate vicinity. However, I'd bet if I hopped on the golf cart I could probably find at least a few trees and undoubtedly some widowmakers down in other areas of the park. My tomato and pepper plants and herb garden survived. I almost lost a tomato plant in the previous wind event but it seems my prop-up job was adequate.

Much needed rain gladly accepted, AC now off and windows open. Now, perhaps the wind will mellow out so we can actually get the boat out and do some fishing. 

Same storm complex rolled through back home near Flint. The downside to having a summer place is worrying about the other site when you're not there. I guess that's what homeowner's insurance is for. :D

I haven't had ANY luck finding the Skywarn net repeater in Allegan County. I've heard a basic rag-chewing net last night, but no weather net, even when we were under active warnings.

3 distinct supercells now closing in on me... they all just intensified and gained a hook simultaneously, it seems.

ui9bDYi.jpg

Those cells got frisky up around Delaware/Randolph Counties of IN:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

345 PM EDT MON AUG 03 2015

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0330 PM HAIL MODOC 40.04N 85.13W

08/03/2015 E1.25 INCH RANDOLPH IN EMERGENCY MNGR

LAW ENFORCEMENT ON A CALL OBSERVED THIS

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

358 PM EDT MON AUG 03 2015

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0330 PM HAIL 10 SE MUNCIE 40.10N 85.26W

08/03/2015 E1.75 INCH DELAWARE IN NEWSPAPER

HAIL FELL 5 TO 10 MINUTES AND COVERED THE GROUND IN

PATCHES

Got hit by 2 supercells today. With the first one, I got some amazing mammatus (for my standard), and when the supercell got close, I saw the clouds rotating around the storm. Saw a bunch of scud, no funnels. 

2dpjC15.jpg

Another supercell came in about an hour after that... it went just to my east but I got some great pictures. 

P1JKGin.jpg

What a pleasant surprise today was. This kind of thing should happen in spring... not early August

Archived