joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously, different areas will always have different amounts. I don't think I've had over 6 inches in a storm since quite possibly as far back as the Blizzard of 93, while areas around me likely have had closer to 8, maybe even 10 since then. In January 2011 there was so much drifting that it was hard to get an accurate amount but if I've had more than 6 in a storm it was that storm.

yeah but I would think many locations would have had a six inch storm in more recent years then that

Obviously, different areas will always have different amounts. I don't think I've had over 6 inches in a storm since quite possibly as far back as the Blizzard of 93, while areas around me likely have had closer to 8, maybe even 10 since then. In January 2011 there was so much drifting that it was hard to get an accurate amount but if I've had more than 6 in a storm it was that storm.

yeah but I would think many locations would have had a six inch storm in more recent years then that

You must live in a snow hole. Even the no snow ATL airport has had more than that...

the airports biggest snowstorm since 1993 was 4.2" in March 2009 and they haven't had more than 5" since 1983. They had more from the march 2009 storm than in March 1993. Other cities like Dallas, Birmingham, Charlotte have had much bigger snow events than Atlanta has over the last 30 years.

Y'all check out Roberts Facebook post from yesterday! It's an interesting read, to say the least! It's his preliminary winter outlook thoughts, and if you love snow and cold, this may be your winter!

Strong+ ENSO's are great for our area, of the 11 since 1950 only 2 were clunkers, 98 and 92.  You toss 92 due to Pinatubo and you have 9/10 of strong+ ENSO's that were cold/snowy, 5 of the 9 snowy ones were above 11" for RDU, the other 4 averaged around 7-8".  That's fairly strong correlation but it's not 100% like anything.

Strong+ ENSO's are great for our area, of the 11 since 1950 only 2 were clunkers, 98 and 92.  You toss 92 due to Pinatubo and you have 9/10 of strong+ ENSO's that were cold/snowy, 5 of the 9 snowy ones were above 11" for RDU, the other 4 averaged around 7-8".  That's fairly strong correlation but it's not 100% like anything.

Don't know if Larry has broken down those years but I would be interested to see which ones had a +PDO.

Strong+ ENSO's are great for our area, of the 11 since 1950 only 2 were clunkers, 98 and 92. You toss 92 due to Pinatubo and you have 9/10 of strong+ ENSO's that were cold/snowy, 5 of the 9 snowy ones were above 11" for RDU, the other 4 averaged around 7-8". That's fairly strong correlation but it's not 100% like anything.

He said throw out 97/98 because nothing is close to the same 500mb pattern and set up with this upcoming winter

He said throw out 97/98 because nothing is close to the same 500mb pattern and set up with this upcoming winter

Your going to cause a mass panic among a lot people on the board with that statement, LOL.  The warm biased people have tunnel vision for a 98 redux.

Edit:  I personally wouldn't toss 98, no reason it couldn't happen again.  

Your going to cause a mass panic among a lot people on the board with that statement, LOL.  The warm biased people have tunnel vision for a 98 redux.

Edit:  I personally wouldn't toss 98, no reason it couldn't happen again.  

What is the main argument for keeping '98 as an analog besides the strength of the nino?

Archived