Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There isn't as much correlation as you think. A better question is what is your total/hdl ratio.

The big factors in heart disease are high LDL-particles and triglycerides. Your LDL-cholesterol can be high, but if your LDL-P and trigs are low, new research has shown you're not at high risk. Unfortunately most doctors only check LDL-C and not LDL-P. Usually they're positively correlated, but not always.

I just had a lipid panel done yesterday.

LDL-C 98

HDL-C 61

Trigs 44

Not bad considering conventional wisdom would cringe at my diet. I've been eating a lot of grass fed butter and beef, pastured pork and whole eggs, whole raw milk and cream, spoonfuls of coconut oil with dark chocolate, and occasional whole milk cheese. Of course I get plenty of fruits and veggies and eat a lot of sardines and shellfish too. I cut out the junk, grains, and gluten and don't miss it at all.

How is your cholesterol?

This on the other hand, was probably really bad for me....but man was it good.  The Heart Attack BLT at Crown Candy in St. Louis.  1 pound of fried bacon.

If anyone watched Man Vs Food...Crown Candy was the place he did the Malt challenge...5 Malts in 30 minutes...he didn't finish it and ended up running to the bathroom sick.

post-1304-0-43905100-1438099435_thumb.jp

The big factors in heart disease are high LDL-particles and triglycerides. Your LDL-cholesterol can be high, but if your LDL-P and trigs are low, new research has shown you're not at high risk. Unfortunately most doctors only check LDL-C and not LDL-P. Usually they're positively correlated, but not always.

LDL-C 98

HDL-C 61

Trigs 44

Not bad considering conventional wisdom would cringe at my diet. I've been eating a lot of grass fed butter and beef, pastured pork and whole eggs, whole raw milk and cream, spoonfuls of coconut oil with dark chocolate, and occasional whole milk cheese. Of course I get plenty of fruits and veggies and eat a lot of sardines and shellfish too. I cut out the junk, grains, and gluten and don't miss it at all.

I eat a pretty similar diet and have felt great since I changed it (Dec 2014) Although I don't do Diary or gluten.

Damn...I wanna get stuck in Amsterdam. Our daughter's having the time of her life with new friends and being put up in a very nice hotel. I speak to her via viber and she certainly seems capable of maneuvering around a major European capital. I'm going to extract a promise that she doesn't visit a pot den...lol.

I eat whatever the hell I want.

And I should add I'm approaching 70. High blood pressure for 25 years well controlled with medicine but no other diseases or issues other than aches and pains in cold wx. I find my body wants me to eat healthy but varied. Red meat about once a week, lots of fish, beans, yogurt, cheese, greens.

LDL-C 98

HDL-C 61

Trigs 44

6/11/15

total 213 (down from 242)

hdl - 33

ldl - 164

trigs - 81 (down from 186 thanks to fish oil)

:cry:

I seem to have my mothers genes so I'm going to be having a stroke or pancreatitis in the next 10 years regardless of how healthy I am. 

i pretty much cut sugar and flower out of my diet...i get the pasta/doritos cravings every now and then...im not perfect, when i go to a restaurant i get diet soda, and i have one cup of coffee a day and i use half and half...but i literally pretty much stopped drinking juices and sodas in 2005 when i discovered seltzer water...

i eat a lot of chicken, eggs, cheese, and almonds, and occasionally steak...i blend a protein powder with my morning coffee...

cutting the flour and sugar out, i have less puffiness in my face and my skin is better...

and every so often i fall off the wagon and i gain back any weight i lost, and then i have to start all over again...lol, it is what it is

I eat whatever the hell I want.

Me too....I still have a total cholesterol under 130.  The last time I was on a no fat diet it went under 100 so I stopped that.  It's mostly genetics that determines what level your body will have.  If it were just what you ate, mine would be through the roof and other people that eat like birds would have my cholesterol.

The sky's a little threatening.  Temp not too bad though all things considered.

Truck read 79* at the top of Patten Hill and 82 down here in the lowlands (81.1 on the Davis, down from 84.3 now that the heavy clouds have moved in).

Edit:  We thunder.

Do you live by Davenports Maple Farm?  I know they have a nice operation up there.

So right now is a darn near perfect example of the differences between ASOS and PWS.

Not to start this again, but for all those in the "not representative of where people live" camp, it may just be different sensors.

MVL ASOS is showing 86/59 right now....while a similarly sited PWS is showing 81/69.

This is the ASOS location, so none of this tarmac stuff where its a drier airmass for the baggage handlers (lol), it sits on grass near large open areas of lawn (where people live).

My local PWS is showing 81/69. 

This is also in an open area (none of this in the trees where people live), as Stowe's lower elevations in town are generally fairly wide open.

So what we have is a dew point of 59F at the ASOS (over grass), with a temperature of 86F.  Meanwhile, a Davis Pro 2 station at a similar elevation, also in an open area, is showing a temperature 5 degrees lower than the ASOS, but with a dew that is 10 degrees higher. 

So depending on the station I am using, with very similar surrounding features, I could be enjoying a humid day of 81F...or I could be enjoying a drier day with a temperature of 86F.  And it has nothing to do with tarmacs.

So right now is a darn near perfect example of the differences between ASOS and PWS.

Not to start this again, but for all those in the "not representative of where people live" camp, it may just be different sensors.

MVL ASOS is showing 86/59 right now. 

This is the ASOS location, so none of this tarmac stuff, it sits on grass near large open areas of lawn (where people live).

attachicon.gifMVL3.jpg

My local PWS is showing 81/69. 

This is also in an open area (none of this in the trees where people live), as Stowe's lower elevations in town are generally fairly wide open.

attachicon.gifStowe_PWS.jpg

So what we have is a dew point of 59F at the ASOS (over grass), with a temperature of 86F.  Meanwhile, a Davis Pro 2 station at a similar elevation, also in an open area, is showing a temperature 5 degrees lower than the ASOS, but with a dew that is 10 degrees higher. 

So depending on the station I am using, with very similar surrounding features, I could be enjoying a humid day of 81F...or I could be enjoying a drier day with a temperature of 86F.  And it has nothing to do with tarmacs.

FARS definitely seems to help with dewpoints... my VP2 is usually within a few degrees of LCI.  Right now I've got 64 and LCI is 61.

Seems like a lot of people are cutting flour/wheat out of their diet on this forum....

My girlfriend has celiac disease, so there's very little wheat in my house except for when I grill on occasion....hard to eat a burger or dog without a real bun....and of course I couldn't give up beers :) 

it's been a bit tough, we have separate silverware and plates now, and I can't leave crumbs all over the counter, but you get used to it.  You have to be careful though....a lot of the gluten-free pastas and such are just corn based...which can't be much better for you than wheat based pasta.

FARS definitely seems to help with dewpoints... my VP2 is usually within a few degrees of LCI.  Right now I've got 64 and LCI is 61.

I'm interested to see how those SHT75/SHT15 sensors fair vs the SHT11s too wrt RH. I attempted the soldering this weekend, but I really need a new tip to do that fine soldering. What I really need is someone who is actually good at soldering boards/small wires/pins.

What's that station PF? Sometimes the dews get a little jumpy with light winds in the summer so it could've just been a brief spike.

Yeah, it just stands out to me as like a well-mixed atmosphere at 86/59 vs. a less mixed one at 81/69. 

But that's a big difference for relatively similar locations, just with different equipment.  It fits the stereotype ASOS vs. PWS though...but can't blame that on the MVL airport, lol.

Do you find that you run warmer than LCI in dews, even though it may be close are you consistently a little higher than them?  LCI is another spot I can't imagine one could pin lower dews on tarmacs and any airport development.

Archived