Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a project I have been heavily involved in at work, from the cutting down of a 60 foot Tulip to handling logistics of getting it to the museum so the native craftsman could burn out the hull, ,to getting it to the Mystic Seaport for launching. Pretty cool stuff. First time in 300 years a wood canoe of this size has been made. they did a practice launch last night. Today at the Mystic arts festival is the official launch. Mystic Seaport has some details wrong, the Mishoon is 36 feet and a Tulip tree not a 30 foot poplar

http://www.mysticseaport.org/news/2015/launching-a-mishoon/

So, so cool. Thanks very much for sharing.

Heading up to the Okemo area later next week. Any good tips on things to do near and around that area?

The big Vermont Country Store (in Weston) is kinda cool, probably about 20 minutes from Okemo). Manchester is a neat town with a lot of shopping, probably 45 minutes. And then of course all of the hiking, golfing, mountain biking, etc near or at the resort.

The big Vermont Country Store (in Weston) is kinda cool, probably about 20 minutes from Okemo). Manchester is a neat town with a lot of shopping, probably 45 minutes. And then of course all of the hiking, golfing, mountain biking, etc near or at the resort.

Friend of family is letting us use their house. Just curious of any good parks, lakes, hiking etc. I know Woodstock is a cool town too.

This is downright sexy. Nice change from the comcast monopoly in Boston. Andover's fios is blazing fast. 8mb faster downloads than advertised, 13mb upload faster than advertised. Or for what we pay.

4566998944.png

That's faster than most corporate connections and I work in It so I'm familiar with different speeds.  I hope you make use of it.  Most people pay for way more than they need but it is certainly nice to have.  That would support multiple full HD streams with room to spare.  Maybe even UHD if you have one.

Friend of family is letting us use their house. Just curious of any good parks, lakes, hiking etc. I know Woodstock is a cool town too.

Quechee Gorge is cool right near Woodstock...the wife will like Simon Pierce where they do high end glass blowing but it's cool to see the mill and how they make stuff.

Okemo probably has some fun stuff your boy would like, or even just scenic chairlift rides with picnic tables up top ;)

Nice! Yeah Woodstock is without a doubt one of my favorite towns in the state. I think Okemo is about 40 minutes or so from it. There's a lot of recreational opportunities and lakes off of Route 100 too, which is a great drive in itself. You're also not too far from Killington.

I know you can hike to the top of Okemo, and if you want to knock out a 4000 footer Killington is there. There's Mt Tom outside of Woodstock too. The Quechee Gorge near Woodstock is kinda neat, and the Billings Farm and the Marsh Billings Rockefeller National Historical Park is neat too if you're into that. Lye Brook Falls is beautiful too if you're near Manchester.

I'm sure there's some great lakes in the area, I'm not as familiar with those though.

Nice! Yeah Woodstock is without a doubt one of my favorite towns in the state. I think Okemo is about 40 minutes or so from it. There's a lot of recreational opportunities and lakes off of Route 100 too, which is a great drive in itself. You're also not too far from Killington.

I know you can hike to the top of Okemo, and if you want to knock out a 4000 footer Killington is there. There's Mt Tom outside of Woodstock too. The Quechee Gorge near Woodstock is kinda neat, and the Billings Farm and the Marsh Billings Rockefeller National Historical Park is neat too if you're into that. Lye Brook Falls is beautiful too if you're near Manchester.

I'm sure there's some great lakes in the area, I'm not as familiar with those though.

Thanks for the tips! I'll have my son with us, so hiking may be limited...but who knows. Looking forward to it.

Yeah hoping to check that out. Looking forward to VT. How far would you say is Stowe from there?

Hour and a half from Woodstock at I-91. Maybe a bit less. I'd recommend driving RT 100 north of Killington if you go for a cruise...gets into classic VT territory with hills and towns with big greens and white churches type stuff.

Hour and a half from Woodstock at I-91. Maybe a bit less. I'd recommend driving RT 100 north of Killington if you go for a cruise...gets into classic VT territory with hills and towns with big greens and white churches type stuff.

You think 2 hrs from Okemo? Yeah rt 100 will be one to do I think. 

:lol: I wish it was a bit closer. That's ok..I'll have plenty to do.

Yeah there is more than enough to do down there...sample what central VT has to offer. Then sometime you'll have to visit northern VT. Stay in Stowe and travel around up here a bit. Do a day at Burlington, a day up at Jay Peak at the water park or something, etc.

Yeah there is more than enough to do down there...sample what central VT has to offer. Then sometime you'll have to visit northern VT. Stay in Stowe and travel around up here a bit. Do a day at Burlington, a day up at Jay Peak at the water park or something, etc.

I would expect a guided tour of the picnic tables, stake, and blowdown.

That's faster than most corporate connections and I work in It so I'm familiar with different speeds.  I hope you make use of it.  Most people pay for way more than they need but it is certainly nice to have.  That would support multiple full HD streams with room to spare.  Maybe even UHD if you have one.

Well, I've got three roommates, one xbox one, a gaming rig, smartphones and that's about it. I play a ton of FIFA 15 on console and Battelfield 4 on my rig. My rig can run it really well. I'm lucky a friend of mine basically handled it to me for a 30 of beers because he had no use for it. My old rig's motherboard went which meant total rebuild.  

I'm not a big TV guy. Prefer social media and internet. I'm going to have to google UHD. 

EDIT: And I just googled it. I'm not even sure how to access it completely. Seems like a variety of different options to utilize UHD?

My favorite posts of yours are of this nostalgic type. Nice tip

Thanks ma'man - 

yeah.  I wrote a novel, non-weather related. It is a Science Fictional journey that leads to where science comes into an accidental nexus with A.I.; but doing so while borrowing from real science. I set out to do it, after learning how the best story lines, regardless of genre, are those that have borrowed from the real, to paint the absurd. Helps drop the observer's disbelief, and bring them into the virtual realm of the story that way.   "What if" should have a modicum grasp on reality ...   

Shortly after completing the work, what became amazing is that the "fiction" I created for the 'how it works' aspects of the science fiction itself, has recently, completely by coincidence, shown by Sir Dr. Richard Penrose (somewhat famed British physicist) to quite possibly be true/real.

I'm like, are you F kidding me?!  Pretty crazy to arrive at the end of creative work to find that one's visualization can be met with real science, and, find that intersection is utterly and purely coincident.  

Still, no interest from publishers.  Thing is ... I'm not really feeling anything when faced with rejection - so far. Hell, I've read that Steven King maintains a kind of "anti" trophy room (if you will), ...the walls, papered over with rejection letters he received before his bust out, "Carry". Him of all people?   Plus, I'm just old now. I've become iron-hulled by it all; the various burns in misery and let-downs of life long callused me over with a barrier of 'get used to disappointments.'

John Lennon (former lead man of "The Beatles") once said, "Life is what happens while you're busy making plans."  I think I'd augment that: "Life is what happens while in wait of ego, loves and successes."   Anyway, for that journey, I really could not care much less about x,y,z email from a,b,c publishing telling me !,#,* reasons.  Most of it's bullschit anyway, based upon much more luck than anyone in relative successes, in any walk of life/society, would ever admit. The scaffolding of their make-up might crumble if they ever did, the illusions of conceit that wall the houses of their soul succumbing to the throwing of reality's stones.

But I'm having fun turning unnecessary phrases in metaphor.   Point is, you can take Joe A, and a Joe B, and start them out with exactly the same wherewithal, both personally and by circumstance, and one ends up a CEO and the other in prison.  Somewhere in between, yeah ...we're all busy making plans. 

I don't have really any ambition or vision of myself having written over a 100 novels, novellas, and/or television and silver screen adaptations like King has.  However, people have occasionally told me over the years that it would be a waste if I never tried to do something with that word smith thing.  So I did. No big whoop.  

Good thing this is a banter thread :)

Thanks ma'man - 

yeah.  I wrote a novel, non-weather related. It is a Science Fictional journey that leads to where science comes into an accidental nexus with A.I.; but doing so while borrowing from real science. I set out to do it, after learning how the best story lines, regardless of genre, are those that have borrowed from the real, to paint the absurd. Helps drop the observer's disbelief, and bring them into the virtual realm of the story that way.   "What if" should have a modicum grasp on reality ...   

Shortly after completing the work, what became amazing is that the "fiction" I created for the 'how it works' aspects of the science fiction itself, has recently, completely by coincidence, shown by Sir Dr. Richard Penrose (somewhat famed British physicist) to quite possibly be true/real.

I'm like, are you F kidding me?!  Pretty crazy to arrive at the end of creative work to find that one's visualization can be met with real science, and, find that intersection is utterly and purely coincident.  

Still, no interest from publishers.  Thing is ... I'm not really feeling anything when faced with rejection - so far. Hell, I've read that Steven King maintains a kind of "anti" trophy room (if you will), ...the walls, papered over with rejection letters he received before his bust out, "Carry". Him of all people?   Plus, I'm just old now. I've become iron-hulled by it all; the various burns in misery and let-downs of life long callused me over with a barrier of 'get used to disappointments.'

John Lennon (former lead man of "The Beatles") once said, "Life is what happens while you're busy making plans."  I think I'd augment that: "Life is what happens while in wait of ego, loves and successes."   Anyway, for that journey, I really could not care much less about x,y,z email from a,b,c publishing telling me !,#,* reasons.  Most of it's bullschit anyway, based upon much more luck than anyone in relative successes, in any walk of life/society, would ever admit. The scaffolding of their make-up might crumble if they ever did, the illusions of conceit that wall the houses of their soul succumbing to the throwing of reality's stones.

But I'm having fun turning unnecessary phrases in metaphor.   Point is, you can take Joe A, and a Joe B, and start them out with exactly the same wherewithal, both personally and by circumstance, and one ends up a CEO and the other in prison.  Somewhere in between, yeah ...we're all busy making plans. 

I don't have really any ambition or vision of myself having written over a 100 novels, novellas, and/or television and silver screen adaptations like King has.  However, people have occasionally told me over the years that it would be a waste if I never tried to so something with that word smith thing.  So I did. No big whoop.  

Good thing this is a banter thread :)

"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans." is one of my favorite quotes. It really keeps you ready for any bullcrap thrown your way. Keeps you prepared for change. Murphy's Law can go into effect at any time.

Tip at the end of the day you just do what makes you happy and take it one day at a time. Things happen that we can't change. Improvement can't be had without struggle. I've just come to cherish each day because some aren't given as many as they should have. There are always surprises along the way. Keep writing if you enjoy it. The opinion of others or publishers is completely unimportant as long as what you enjoy doesn't negatively affect others. This is why when some of us are rooting on tornadoes and serious hurricanes we need to be careful how we enjoy our hobby. Same to people who enjoy going to the gun range, or weaponry; that damn gun better be locked away.

Well, I've got three roommates, one xbox one, a gaming rig, smartphones and that's about it. I play a ton of FIFA 15 on console and Battelfield 4 on my rig. My rig can run it really well. I'm lucky a friend of mine basically handled it to me for a 30 of beers because he had no use for it. My old rig's motherboard went which meant total rebuild.  

I'm not a big TV guy. Prefer social media and internet. I'm going to have to google UHD. 

EDIT: And I just googled it. I'm not even sure how to access it completely. Seems like a variety of different options to utilize UHD?

Netflix and Amazon offer UHD content but you need a display to make use of it.  It sounds like you do more gaming which will benefit from the lower latency of the fiber network.  It should allow you to get a move in before the other guy.... :guitar:

Netflix and Amazon offer UHD content but you need a display to make use of it.  It sounds like you do more gaming which will benefit from the lower latency of the fiber network.  It should allow you to get a move in before the other guy.... :guitar:

I remember back in the early 2000's playing counter strike on 56k dial up. That was the early days of my computing. First game I ever played in my life was a family feud on an old windows floppy disc pc. Much to my parents horror I soon found out what console gaming was when I went to elementary school. Many people trash gaming but consider this: I really was the last generation of Southie. Playing video games instead of going to hang out on the street kept me out of trouble. I used to get grounded away from electronics and go out to my friends house because I could game there :lol:

:lol: I wish it was a bit closer. That's ok..I'll have plenty to do.

Route 100 is probably going to be a little busier next weekend too. There's a relay race that starts at Stowe and ends at Okemo, all on 100. Figured I'd give you a heads-up.

Gorgeous day today. Went to a random open house in chestnut hill and now am about to bid up to 100k over asking because I decided I needed this house. A bit more elevation and 3 miles west vs current location probably adding 5-8 inches of snow. Now to see if I can do this and keep our current house in this great rental market....

Gorgeous day today. Went to a random open house in chestnut hill and now am about to bid up to 100k over asking because I decided I needed this house. A bit more elevation and 3 miles west vs current location probably adding 5-8 inches of snow. Now to see if I can do this and keep our current house in this great rental market....

the longtime residents are really on a gold mine

Archived