SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not actually all that unusual for an August house-cleaner high pressures to allow radiation mass exodus' and nightly lows to consequently dip pretty low .  I remember years ago between 1985 and 1995 where it even borderline frosted down into central Middlesex county in eastern Ma... 38 to 42 ish; but nearly missed. 

We put boundaries on timing for seasonal changes and so forth, but in reality...there are none. It's whenever the nature of all decides it's time.  The first time that we conclude an extended period of typical summery weather, and encounter this sort of deep blue sky in August, 78 by day, 45 F by night...that's the back of summer bending to the weight of change.  May not be broken just yet, but she's strainin'  

By the way, the sickly maples in town have all the sudden, in the past week, shown their weakness. They are few and far between, but are the earliest vestiges of inevitability :)   

Frankly ...seeing as everyone asked, I think I'm ready.  Over the decades of my experience, heat is rarefied post August 10; which is not to say it can't get hot... That date really sort of is the end of "heat wave" season.   After which, the top of summer type events become ever more transient ..if not just failed ideas by model runs of yore.  I don't believe the D10 heat of the Euro much more than I did the ghost nor'easter for this weekend; hearkens to the model's amplitude bias there.  

The days become increasingly temperate, now. And, then we labor through September with more and more early turners showing colors.  So long as that is all the case, it's time for the emotive dial to click over to nostalgia for hurricanes ...then, the colder rains of late October, onward to the smell of wood smoke while we gin up for Thanks Giving.  One of my favorite experiences are those moments in early to mid November, after a strong cyclone wraps up into Ontario and pulls the first season's -4 C at 850 - type CAA event into its backside. The virga shrouded instability CU pass by and by, and if your lucky you witness your first flakes of the season; they are like an invitation to a grand gala has just arrived in the mail, and it's all about "I can't wait...."  

Of course.. then Indian Summer rolls on in and ruins it all... But, at that time, it's all about possibilities - hopefully not unrealistic expectations of the winter. Nothing has been wasted. There have been no busted snow storms.  Or, endlessly banal expanses of time where dearths of weather events over frozen Earth could not be any more maddening.  You gotta kinda be a weather head to get what that's all about.  No disappointments, just possibilities. 

This year, I'm curious what the NE Pacific will do with this moderate/strong warm ENSO percolating up underneath. 

It's not actually all that unusual for an August house-cleaner high pressures to allow radiation mass exodus' and nightly lows to consequently dip pretty low . I remember years ago between 1985 and 1995 where it even borderline frosted down into central Middlesex county in eastern Ma... 38 to 42 ish; but nearly missed.

We put boundaries on timing for seasonal changes and so forth, but in reality...there are none. It's whenever the nature of all decides it's time. The first time that we conclude an extended period of typical summery weather, and encounter this sort of deep blue sky in August, 78 by day, 45 F by night...that's the back of summer bending to the weight of change. May not be broken just yet, but she's strainin'

By the way, the sickly maples in town have all the sudden, in the past week, shown their weakness. They are few and far between, but are the earliest vestiges of inevitability :)

Frankly ...seeing as everyone asked, I think I'm ready. Over the decades of my experience, heat is rarefied post August 10; which is not to say it can't get hot... That date really sort of is the end of "heat wave" season. After which, the top of summer type events become ever more transient ..if not just failed ideas by model runs of yore. I don't believe the D10 heat of the Euro much more than I did the ghost nor'easter for this weekend; hearkens to the model's amplitude bias there.

The days become increasingly temperate, now. And, then we labor through September with more and more early turners showing colors. So long as that is all the case, it's time for the emotive dial to click over to nostalgia for hurricanes ...then, the colder rains of late October, onward to the smell of wood smoke while we gin up for Thanks Giving. One of my favorite experiences are those moments in early to mid November, after a strong cyclone wraps up into Ontario and pulls the first season's -4 C at 850 - type CAA event into its backside. The virga shrouded instability CU pass by and by, and if your lucky you witness your first flakes of the season; they are like an invitation to a grand gala has just arrived in the mail, and it's all about "I can't wait...."

Of course.. then Indian Summer rolls on in and ruins it all... But, at that time, it's all about possibilities - hopefully not unrealistic expectations of the winter. Nothing has been wasted. There have been no busted snow storms. Or, endlessly banal expanses of time where dearths of weather events over frozen Earth could not be any more maddening. You gotta kinda be a weather head to get what that's all about. No disappointments, just possibilities.

This year, I'm curious what the NE Pacific will do with this moderate/strong warm ENSO percolating up underneath.

nicely written

It's not actually all that unusual for an August house-cleaner high pressures to allow radiation mass exodus' and nightly lows to consequently dip pretty low . I remember years ago between 1985 and 1995 where it even borderline frosted down into central Middlesex county in eastern Ma... 38 to 42 ish; but nearly missed.

We put boundaries on timing for seasonal changes and so forth, but in reality...there are none. It's whenever the nature of all decides it's time. The first time that we conclude an extended period of typical summery weather, and encounter this sort of deep blue sky in August, 78 by day, 45 F by night...that's the back of summer bending to the weight of change. May not be broken just yet, but she's strainin'

Frankly ...seeing as everyone asked, I think I'm ready. Over the decades of my experience, heat is rarefied post August 10; which is not to say it can't get hot... That date really sort of is the end of "heat wave" season. After which, the top of summer type events become ever more transient ..if not just failed ideas by model runs of yore. I don't believe the D10 heat of the Euro much more than I did the ghost nor'easter for this weekend; hearkens to the model's amplitude bias there.

The days become increasingly temperate, now. And, then we labor through September with more and more early turners showing colors. So long as that is all the case, it's time for the emotive dial to click over to nostalgia for hurricanes ...then, the colder rains of late October, onward to the smell of wood smoke while we gin up for Thanks Giving. One of my favorite experiences are those moments in early to mid November, after a strong cyclone wraps up into Ontario and pulls the first season's -4 C at 850 - type CAA event into its backside. The virga shrouded instability CU pass by and by, and if your lucky you witness your first flakes of the season; they are like an invitation to a grand gala has just arrived in the mail, and it's all about "I can't wait...."

Of course.. then Indian Summer rolls on in and ruins it all... But, at that time, it's all about possibilities - hopefully not unrealistic expectations of the winter. Nothing has been wasted. There have been no busted snow storms. Or, endlessly banal expanses of time where dearths of weather events over frozen Earth could not be any more maddening. You gotta kinda be a weather head to get what that's all about. No disappointments, just possibilities.

nicely written

Great day to take my son into Boston. Survived the T and loved the swan boats. Almost bought Ag3 a free brady t-shirt.

hahaha... oh man, my buddy bought an Arron Hernandez jersey for his son like 10 days before the guy turned out to be psycho  - 

He had to explain both where the jersey disappeared, and the player ... to five year old

it's awesome. Some rain would be welcome though. The last 37 days we've had .80 and .25 in the last 18 days.

Great beach pic BTW.

Dusk might be my favorite time to be there, the water is so warm after baking all day, its quiet and stunningly beautiful. That pic was in The Westerly Sun, just captured the moment so well

This is a project I have been heavily involved in at work, from the cutting down of a 60 foot Tulip to handling logistics of getting it to the museum so the native craftsman could burn out the hull, ,to getting it to the Mystic Seaport for launching. Pretty cool stuff. First time in 300 years a wood canoe of this size has been made. they did a practice launch last night. Today at the Mystic arts festival is the official launch. Mystic Seaport has some details wrong, the Mishoon is 36 feet and a Tulip tree not a 30 foot poplar

http://www.mysticseaport.org/news/2015/launching-a-mishoon/

This is a project I have been heavily involved in at work, from the cutting down of a 60 foot Tulip to handling logistics of getting it to the museum so the native craftsman could burn out the hull, ,to getting it to the Mystic Seaport for launching. Pretty cool stuff. First time in 300 years a wood canoe of this size has been made. they did a practice launch last night. Today at the Mystic arts festival is the official launch. Mystic Seaport has some details wrong, the Mishoon is 36 feet and a Tulip tree not a 30 foot poplar

http://www.mysticseaport.org/news/2015/launching-a-mishoon/

its frustrating when lazy media people have details spoon fed into their lap and still **** up details.

its frustrating when lazy media people have details spoon fed into their lap and still **** up details.

lol I saw that screw up of your Twitter handle. NBD in this case as Mystic Seaport has been exceptionally kind in letting us use the Seaport. Man I was sweating out last weeks Euro, thank god for that bust. Could not have asked for more perfect conditions for the paddlers.

My front is hay. I've been dodged a bit too. Had that one storm last week, but .6" in less than 10 min isn't going to soak in. Been dry locally.

I only had that one storm that dropped .63 which ran off. Everything missed last week. Things are torched

What do you think about Tuesday? is that more hit or miss showers/storms?

I only had that one storm that dropped .63 which ran off. Everything missed last week. Things are torched

What do you think about Tuesday? is that more hit or miss showers/storms?

It looks decent for widespread rains I think. Could be a Hanrahan sunrise surprise if low pressure moves onshore. Waters are warm all around.

My favorite posts of yours are of this nostalgic type. Nice tip

Archived