Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 11-14 Severe Weather Event

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on the south end of the big train in eastern IN and now west central OH, and there is constant lightning. It's like day. Based on radar it seems like the train will set up over areas just north (and eventually east) of Dayton.

nam says you're right....hires says a little further east right across central.   Either way it's not often you see a train set up moving in a s,se direction, hell then again nothing has been normal about this year.

will be interesting to see how far east those storms make it before the south movement wins out.  Looks like a watch going up for Columbus-west.   

You and I might be too far east to cash in on anything of note tonight.

And this after Bradley caused a FB flutter about a derecho.

That cell is putting on quite a lightning show visible all the way down here south of DKB!

Yeah I can see some of that from here too. Micro cell just popped 5 miles west of here. New cell west of RFD.

Impressive pics from Quincy.

Followed the western supercell from northwest of Davenport down to southeast of Kewanee where it crapped out.  It had a few interesting cycles, but could never really get it going in the low levels.  Some awesome looking updraft structure though with that thing when I was driving up to it for the first time.  That was around the time it was dropping baseballs in Calamus IA.

2vmftq9.jpg

No clue. There's a concrete plant on the south side of campus, next to LAF. Also one up on the north side near my place by IN-43/65. 

I don't remember LAF recording anything wild and I didn't see anything wild from my office, both near the campus plant. I'd guess the one on the north side in that case.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Looks another cell going to move through LAF. Might be a bit of a hail core coming in from the NW.

EDIT: oops, Hoosier beat me to the punch.

Meanwhile, the complex from last night is still going in the Carolinas right now...nearing 1200 miles. (Technically not a derecho though because of the lack of sig. wind gusts?)

Technically yeah, still a significant MCS probably one of the better long trackers. That being said they might do storm surveys on some of the wind damage from that MCS that could bump it into the derecho category. I know some of the wind reports from last night and this afternoon were pretty substantial.

Well, knock on wood, but consider ourselves fortunate that it appears there's not much in the way of tornadic activity tonight, especially significant ones.  These types of environments have put down some very notable ones in the past.  Would be interesting to try to find a reason why.  Maybe something lacking in terms of low level shear, although it was progged to improve this evening so I don't know. 

Archived