Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA and the fringes - Summer into Fall

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How was it Harrisburg peeps? Big dud up here.

had about 5mins of huge gusts of winds (I'd say easily 40mph) and torrential driving rain, few rumbles of thunder and lightning then...done. And two really close thunderclaps. Those really, incredibly loud tinny, vibrating kinda ones that you know was maybe like...50ft away lol

had about 5mins of huge gusts of winds (I'd say easily 40mph) and torrential driving rain, few rumbles of thunder and lightning then...done. And two really close thunderclaps. Those really, incredibly loud tinny, vibrating kinda ones that you know was maybe like...50ft away lol

Just went through , about the same here but a lot of lighting after the initial wind and rain. had some close ones now fire going to a dwelling about a mile from me so not sure if that's from the hit I heard.

Well that was unimpressive. Cloud development out ahead of the main line was a killer for further enhancement of the line. Lots of lightning being detected within the line itself, but looking at wind observations in the region and on radar, the wind performance was lack luster at best. Of course the area south of the LSV into NMD in Baltimore and Harford counties are getting even more torrential rain. It's a wonder that area hasn't floated away yet. It's been a dismal summer in my neck of the woods of getting any dry weather for more than 3 days. 

I was told by a co-worker there was a bunch of Damage in Berks county around the Rehrersburg area (off of I-78).

When i was looking at the radar yesterday, it appeared the storm split with a piece going north of me following the mountain and 1 going south. We basically only had heavy rain for 10 minutes or so.

if you're on facebook,search "Fire Alerts of berks County" you'll see pictures of some of the damage.

edit- just posted on Pennlive    http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2015/07/storms_tear_apart_elementary_s.html#incart_gallery

Ha. Line that was to the west of me kind of disintegrated and collapsed south. We'll see some heavy rain but I'm guessing not much else.

I'd love to know what kills thunderstorm line in my immediate area. Downsloping?

I'll take a look at the elevation data for your area and get back to you.  Might be it.  

Is it just me, or does SPC throw red boxes out like candy now?  Not bashing them just wondering if there is any stats to back up my theorem.  I only remember the rare red box back in the day and it meant something.  

I'll take a look at the elevation data for your area and get back to you.  Might be it.  

Is it just me, or does SPC throw red boxes out like candy now?  Not bashing them just wondering if there is any stats to back up my theorem.  I only remember the rare red box back in the day and it meant something.  

For the general NE/Mid atlantic, they really do throw out red boxes like candy. If there's even a chance for one or two tornado's, they almost always put out a box. I said something similar in the philly thread about a month ago. IMO yesterday never had a chance to be a major or even decent outbreak other than a few spin ups. I don't get why strongly worded severe thunderstorm watches that mentions the possibility for one or two tornados isn't used for days like yesterday instead of tornado watches. everyone around here treats them as a joke and rightfully so because the spc puts out tornado watches for borderline events. If a real tornado threat ever was to occur, I fear most of the general public would not take it seriously.

Well that was unimpressive. Cloud development out ahead of the main line was a killer for further enhancement of the line. Lots of lightning being detected within the line itself, but looking at wind observations in the region and on radar, the wind performance was lack luster at best. Of course the area south of the LSV into NMD in Baltimore and Harford counties are getting even more torrential rain. It's a wonder that area hasn't floated away yet. It's been a dismal summer in my neck of the woods of getting any dry weather for more than 3 days. 

FWIW, it was really lame at my house -- severe warning issued after it passed me moving towards Harford (which seems to be the theme lately). so you didn't miss much being in PA vs in Carney. 

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

1140 AM EDT FRI JUL 10 2015

...NWS METEOROLOGISTS ARE COMPLETING A SURVEY OF STORM DAMAGE

NEAR SELINSGROVE IN SNYDER COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE IN STATE COLLEGE PA IS

CURRENTLY CONCLUDING A STORM SURVEY FOR THE AREA NEAR SELINSGROVE

IN SNYDER COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA. THE SURVEY IS IN RELATION TO THE

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS THAT MOVED THROUGH THE AREA ON JULY 9 2015.

PRELIMINARY REULTS SHOW THAT AN EF0 TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN ON THE

SOUTHERN SIDE OF SELINSGROVE BOROUGH AND TRACKED NORTHEASTWARD

ACROSS PENNS CREEK INTO THE ISLE OF QUE BEFORE LIFTING AS IT

ENCOUNTERED THE SUSQUEHANNA RIVER. THERE WAS SOME TREE AND CROP

DAMAGE...WITH SOME TREES BEING SNAPPED AND OTHERS UPROOTED.

Well at least one confirmed tornado from yesterday...

FWIW, it was really lame at my house -- severe warning issued after it passed me moving towards Harford (which seems to be the theme lately). so you didn't miss much being in PA vs in Carney.

Yeah. I noticed that from radar trends as well. Idk why, but northern Harford county has been getting shelled this summer. Areas like Norrisville and Bel Air have been seeing impressive totals for precip.

And I'm actually not in Millersville or Carney anymore. I moved to Hagerstown last week because of my new job. You'll still get Carney totals from me during winter season, but you'll see Hagerstown totals now too!! I still like posting here since everyone here is extremely friendly and very informative for all events. I love this subforum. And it makes for a great escape from the MA forum when you're getting shelled and DC is seeing white rain haha

Archived