Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Summer into Fall

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm back, been fairly busy and the weather had been anything but busy until this week.

I definitely think the East Coast is currently facing the biggest tropical threat we've seen since Hurricane Sandy back in 2012, although this would figure to be a more traditional landfalling tropical system vs the hybrid monstrosity that Sandy turned into. Big similarity is anomalous blocking high up north being progged which would leave Joaquin with few escape/recurve options. Basically, to me.. it has that look for a tropical system to drive into the East Coast vs a glance or recurve.

The European seems to be one of the only models that has had it escape, and it looks to be continuing that trend in the 12z run coming in. So that's a pretty reliable model sticking out in the face of most of the other models progging this to make landfall somewhere on the East Coast. I only have access to the Euro ensemble mean and the 0z run from last night certainly appeared to lend to some uncertainly and likely some closer and/or landfalling members within the mean. 

So obviously, much uncertainty remains and it will likely continue being that way for the next couple days. Definietely something that most on the East Coast should be monitoring carefully.  As for the storm itself, it figures to potentially become quite strong.. likely becoming a major hurricane given favorable conditions. SST's in that region this time of the year would already be quite favorable to begin with normally but are in fact running anomalously warm in a good portion of the Atlantic (something that has my attention for the winter, but that's for another day). Concerning to me are the landfalling models all making a pretty hard left turn into the coast in response to that blocking high. That's a bad approach storm surge wise for most of the East Coast.. specifically in the Mid Atlantic/DelMarva region (and of course farther north on the Jersey shore and NYC). There already would figure to be a high surf/coastal flooding threat just from the easterly fetch between the sprawling high and hurricane without Joaquin potentially riding that straight into the coast. 

While I don't foresee this going full Sandy, this hurricane will have more top end potential in the traditional sense.. given that we are nearly a full month earlier in the fall (warmer water). With enough strength and forward momentum, a major hurricane landfall could certainly be a possibility.. something the US hasn't seen since 2005 (Wilma). 

From  the 500, check out the last one.

Hurricane JOAQUIN Forecast Discussion

1.  Preparations to protect life and property within the warning

areas in the Bahamas should be rushed to completion.

2.  A significant adjustment to the forecast has been made this

afternoon, and this shows an increased threat to the mid-Atlantic

states and the Carolinas.  However, confidence in the details of the

forecast after 72 hours remains low, since we have one normally

excellent model that keeps Joaquin far away from the United States

east coast.   The range of possible outcomes is still large, and

includes the possibility of a major hurricane landfall in the

Carolinas.

3.  Every effort is being made to provide the forecast models with

as much data as possible.  The NOAA G-IV jet has begun a series of

missions in the storm environment, and the National Weather Service

is launching extra balloon soundings.

4.  Because landfall, if it occurs, is still more than three days

away, it is too early to talk about specific wind, rain, or surge

impacts from Joaquin in the United States.   Even if Joaquin stays

well out to sea, strong onshore winds will create minor to moderate

coastal flooding along the coasts of the mid-Atlantic and

northeastern states through the weekend.

5.  A hurricane watch for a portion of the U.S. coast could be

required as early as Thursday evening.

6.  Many areas of the eastern U.S. are currently experiencing heavy

rains and gusty winds associated with a frontal system.  This

inclement weather is expected to continue over the next few days,

which could complicate preparations for Joaquin should it head

toward the coast, and greatly exacerbate the impacts from the

hurricane.  Heavy rains are likely to continue over these areas

even if the center of Joaquin stays out to sea.

1.27" inches of rain from last night.

Hurricane Joaquin is going to be interesting to follow....thanks for the updates!

Question: Heading down to Harrisburg Saturday to the farm show complex.

"Keystone classic BBQ state championship" what's the weather looking like Sat.

Thanks

NHC 2AM places Category 1 Hurricane just southeast of Washington DC at 8pm Mon evening.  Extrapolation keeps it heading right up the Susky valley.  WOW. 

Also shows it reaches Cat 4 later tomorrow.

Was Agnes still a hurricane when it reached PA?  Has there ever been a hurricane located inside PA borders???

NHC 2AM places Category 1 Hurricane just southeast of Washington DC at 8pm Mon evening. Extrapolation keeps it heading right up the Susky valley. WOW.

Also shows it reaches Cat 4 later tomorrow.

Was Agnes still a hurricane when it reached PA? Has there ever been a hurricane located inside PA borders???

I believe that Hazel in 1954 was a cat 1 while she was in PA.

Edited to add that Hazel held Cat 1 intensity all the way up to Lock Haven, but was listed as extratropical, I suppose, due to her high latitude and interaction with a cold front. Still she had 80 mph sustained winds all the way up to I-80 in Central PA.

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/1954/Major-Hurricane-Hazel

Another feather in the cap for King EURO and another embarasment for the US numerical models. Total bust.

I have to agree on a few things you glossed over, I know to some talking about frost, or low temps, or monthly records is fun but we have been in dire need of interesting weather, and once again it falls apart.

I have to agree on a few things you glossed over, I know to some talking about frost, or low temps, or monthly records is fun but we have been in dire need of interesting weather, and once again it falls apart.

The latest GFS run gives you about 0.25" of rain through 120 hours. That's about as interesting as it gets for us Central PA folks...lol

Archived