SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Obs Thread 2015

mackerel_sky

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is the 4th day in a row of late day SAV area thunderstorms. Like yesterday's, today's aren't severe so far. However, the rain is heavy and a good amount of CTG lightning is there. They have the look of being seabreeze related and are very slow moving. We could easily already be within the 4-5" range for total rainfall since 7/4 for areas around here!

Just had a 30 second sprinkle.... seriously! If I was going to only use the rain gauge for tomorrow's report, I'd be reporting 0.00". Whatever fell wasn't even enough to drip down in the funnel, and it's already evaporated! I was out in it, though, and felt it,  so it looks like a "T" tomorrow. #WINNING

I think the last decent rain I had was during the peak of the last heat wave when we had no chance of pops.  Storm blew off the mountains and made it to me before it fell apart.  Picked up 2 or 3 tenths from it.  Maybe I can get lucky again during this next heat wave and get something unexpected to at least hold us off from getting even worse at the surface.

Driving over the headwaters of Lake Wylie and it looked down for the first time this summer.  Duke Energy does lower lake levels around the area in anticipation of tropical season but I believe they don't do this until sometime in August.  Was on Lake Wateree in SC on the 4th and it looked to be pretty much full pond.

Looks like the best storms are setting up from around Asheville and moving SE.  As is, it looks like the best activity will slide north of me unless there is some new development further west.

Edit:  There we go, more development further west in the latest frames.  Gotta keep that going and maybe it will actually rain here today.

Looks like all the good stuff is staying north of the border.  Only thing in Spartanburg County is some popcorn showers that last about 5 minutes then dissipate.  Oh well, there is always next week, or more like next month.

Edit:  Now it drops down as soon as it is east of me lol.  Too far east last week, too far west today.  Just another typical day in the desert.

Only storm mby has a shot with has now stalled out nw of Spartanburg and is severe.  At this rate we will lose our heating before it moves towards us.  Unbelievable how I'm always on the fringe of storms whether it be east or west.

Edit:  Storm still firmly anchored in place.  It hasn't moved in an hour.  What is causing this storm to anchor while all the others are moving?  Back to 5 minutes pop ups and poof.  Looks like another fail for mby.

0.00" and 0.03" for the month.  18z GFS seems to think it's going to rain next week.  I think the GFS is in a delusional state again similar to its state a few days ago when it said it was going to be 106° here.  I think I've almost caught up watering the grass for at least a day or 2 besides the few spots that have gone dormant.

Archived