Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Facebook is great if people would just keep their political thoughts off it. Some people post as if they think everyone on their friends list will agree with them, and then get all mad if someone doesn't. There's a reason you don't discuss politics and religion with friends.

A great Brick post imo. Personally, though I think Facebook is great for those who like it, I have no FB account and have no interest in opening one. I value my privacy way too much.

Facebook is great if people would just keep their political thoughts off it. Some people post as if they think everyone on their friends list will agree with them, and then get all mad if someone doesn't. There's a reason you don't discuss politics and religion with friends.

If people want to share their political or religious views on Facebook, then they should feel free to do so all they want.  It's their page and they should be able to freely write what they want.  On the other hand, people that read those comments have the right to think what they want about them.  But, if it's super annoying, nobody forces anyone to read comments or remain friends with someone, right?  It is what it is, and you know that going in.

The reason people don't discuss politics or religion with friends and family is because people aren't mature enough to respect somebody else's views one something.  A novel concept would be that it is possible to completely disagree with someone and have a respectful, adult conversation and *gasp* still be friends.  There is usually much more to like about someone than there is to dislike about them, especially if they're already your friend.  The premise of avoiding tough subjects for the sake of maintaining peace is not a sound one.  And, through such a conversation, one might even learn something.

If people want to share their political or religious views on Facebook, then they should feel free to do so all they want. It's their page and they should be able to freely write what they want. On the other hand, people that read those comments have the right to think what they want about them. But, if it's super annoying, nobody forces anyone to read comments or remain friends with someone, right? It is what it is, and you know that going in.

The reason people don't discuss politics or religion with friends and family is because people aren't mature enough to respect somebody else's views one something. A novel concept would be that it is possible to completely disagree with someone and have a respectful, adult conversation and *gasp* still be friends. There is usually much more to like about someone than there is to dislike about them, especially if they're already your friend. The premise of avoiding tough subjects for the sake of maintaining peace is not a sound one. And, through such a conversation, one might even learn something.

I may be seemingly contradicting myself somewhat since I said Brick's post is great, but I like a lot of this post, too, especially the idea of respecting someone with different political views or a different religion. I feel I do. So, in saying people should respect each other, I'm not being a hypocrite. However, due to so many not respecting others with different political views or religions, I will not talk either with certain people in real life. The beauty of BB's (not FB) is the chance to talk about these things while remaining anonymous. So, that's different to me.

If people want to share their political or religious views on Facebook, then they should feel free to do so all they want.  It's their page and they should be able to freely write what they want.  On the other hand, people that read those comments have the right to think what they want about them.  But, if it's super annoying, nobody forces anyone to read comments or remain friends with someone, right?  It is what it is, and you know that going in.

The reason people don't discuss politics or religion with friends and family is because people aren't mature enough to respect somebody else's views one something.  A novel concept would be that it is possible to completely disagree with someone and have a respectful, adult conversation and *gasp* still be friends.  There is usually much more to like about someone than there is to dislike about them, especially if they're already your friend.  The premise of avoiding tough subjects for the sake of maintaining peace is not a sound one.  And, through such a conversation, one might even learn something.

Very well said sr.

I may be seemingly contradicting myself somewhat since I said Brick's post is great, but I like a lot of this post, too, especially the idea of respecting someone with different political views or a different religion. I feel I do. So, in saying people should respect each other, I'm not being a hypocrite. However, due to so many not respecting others with different political views or religions, I will not talk either with certain people in real life. The beauty of BB's (not FB) is the chance to talk about these things while remaining anonymous. So, that's different to me.

That's where the problems always come in.  You can control how you act/react, but you can't control how others will.  However, I've found that in real life, with most people, if you engage a touchy subject with someone with humility and respect, you will usually end up in a civil conversation.  With the others, the friends that are hotheads, then it's probably best to just avoid it, unless you like to kick over the hornet nest.

Very well said sr.

Thank you sir!

Maybe if we didnt have so many yankees in the south complaining about our way of life or being condescending we would all get along better (moderators included)

Everyone would get along better if there were no more labels...such as "us" against "them".....we are called the UNITED states of America for a reason. A place where everyone is created equal as stated by our declaration of independence. Ya know....it's what this country is founded on. Word of advice....... Be part of the solution, not part of the problem  

:wub: 

Now....back to your regular scheduled program  :D   

I'm headed toward the mountains tomorrow. Anything to get away from the heat....sigh. It's even too hot to be near the water :angry:

Everyone would get along better if there were no more labels...such as "us" against "them".....we are called the UNITED states of America for a reason. A place where everyone is created equal as stated by our declaration of independence. Ya know....it's what this country is founded on. Word of advice....... Be part of the solution, not part of the problem

:wub:

Now....back to your regular scheduled program :D

I'm headed toward the mountains tomorrow. Anything to get away from the heat....sigh. It's even too hot to be near the water :angry:

where at in the mtns?

I'm not sure exactly....lol....someplace cooler than here. Do you have any suggestions? The Dupont forest, Chimney Rock and Grandfather mountain sound refreshing, but I'm always looking for new places :D

highlands and cashiers are nice, both are above 3500ft. You're close to lake Glenville and plenty of rivers and waterfalls. You can also hike to the top of Whiteside mtn it's between highlands and cashiers.

Archived