Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You forget, it never rains in the upstate of SC, and its 105-110 everyday according to the all knowing GFS that gets posted Ad Naseum on the pattern thread.

Anybody for a ban on Subway? 5$ footlong!

:)

I was all for it until they allowed our local store to take online orders.  It's extremely nice to swing by and just pick up an order.

Too bad $5.50 is the cheapest foot long around now.  The breakfast is better imo.

Certainly a lot more exciting than watching football.

The irony is that these complaints about soccer often come from NASCAR and Baseball fans. I cannot think of two "events" more unappealing and straight boring. 4 hours driving in a circle. Must be the pretty "Tide" colors. Baseball...waiting for dudes who are either Cuban or obese to finally score a run in 95 degree heat / 95% humidity. Again...4 hours.

Beer, fried chicken, mullets and the general sedentary nature of the "events" are the strongest common denominators I've discovered so far. 

The irony is that these complaints about soccer often come from NASCAR and Baseball fans. I cannot think of two "events" more unappealing and straight boring. 4 hours driving in a circle. Must be the pretty "Tide" colors. Baseball...waiting for dudes who are either Cuban or obese to finally score a run in 95 degree heat / 95% humidity. Again...4 hours.

Beer, fried chicken, mullets and the general sedentary nature of the "events" are the strongest common denominators I've discovered so far. 

The average NFL game has the ball actually in play for about 12 minutes.  It's actually up a bit from 10 to 11 minutes, thanks to the no huddle trend.  Non-the-less I am a fan.  Not sure what that says about me though.

The average NFL game has the ball actually in play for about 12 minutes.  It's actually up a bit from 10 to 11 minutes, thanks to the no huddle trend.  Non-the-less I am a fan.  Not sure what that says about me though.

American football is exciting enough for me to invest some time in. The commercial/TV timeouts kill it though. But this also goes back to the hockey argument (primarily from southerners who love their baseball but can't understand why people would watch a game with a 3-1 total score. Let that sink in...they like BASEBALL). 

Hockey is 100% faster, more physical and more exciting to watch, but the fact that they didn't grow up with it negates it's merit. Just like soccer, which has zero commercial breaks and only two 45 minute segments with a 15 minute halftime.

People fear (or in this case, dislike) what they don't understand.

NFL games went downhill when they stopped having the clock stop until the next snap on out of bounds plays outside of 2 minutes left in the first half and 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter. That in itself took away a fair bit of "in play" time at the time. However, the no huddle trend has helped to compensate.

Archived