SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2015-16 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Locally, for the raging super Nino that this winter was, it really wasnt that bad of a winter. Not exciting, not memorable, but not even close to the disaster that it was in other areas, and it was actually a good winter JUST to my north. Locally I would consider it a much better winter than 1957-58, 1982-83, or 1997-98 (I would say 1972-73 was the best of the post-1950 strong Ninos).

After being buried in record snowpack the last two winters, as expected snowcover was not this winters storng suit. Despite the frequent meltdowns, the snow systems were frequent, and often dropped heavy snow in the northern reaches of SE MI. Season snowfall thru March 6th is 34.0" at Detroit, a measely 1.7" below normal to date. This deficit will grow a bit in the coming weeks, but consider that even if not another flake of snow falls, it would only be 8.5" below normal and 48 winters have seen less than 34" of snow since records began in 1880. Not very close to futility :lol: Meanwhile just up the road in Flint, season to date is at 61.6" which is 21.3" above normal to date! This is already good for 15th snowiest winter on record (since 1921), and will move up the list should spring snow occur. The DTX NWS office in White Lake (Detroits far northern burbs) has seen 64.0"!

Go the other way on I75 and its another story. Toledo, OH has only seen 17.7". To go from 17.7" in Toledo to 34.0" in Detroit to 61.6" in Flint - that is quite a gradient. Its definitely not been a fun winter for most, and even in S MI the winter enthusiasts had to endure plenty of mud and grass in between snows, but it could have been much worse. With a potential La Nina next year and our hot hand, Im liking chances for a much better winter in 2016-17!

Archived