joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2015 Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it Autumn already!? Stratus and 50s most of the day. Warmest part of the day was between 10-11am, high of 63°, low 49°. This is totally Pacific NW summer coastal weather - minus the fog.

Mosquitoes and flies/gnats are taking a break today, so that was nice.

And to mention... 10 days since it has been above 80°.

The min temps are probably holding the departure up some but DTW has had a 90 degree day and 12 other days with highs of 80+, and the average high doesn't reach 80 until June 16.  If you like big heat, that's bad, but if you like pretty seasonable weather, not so bad.

Detroit finished June with a temp departure of -0.6F, however...the high temp was -1.6F while the low temp was +0.3F.

It was unofficially the cloudiest June on record, with a skycover of 7.9.

Chicago officially had their cloudiest June with just 46% of possible sunshine. While Detroit (like most places) does not keep sunshine records anymore, by comparison...Chicagos June skycover was 7.4.

Detroit finished June with a temp departure of -0.6F, however...the high temp was -1.6F while the low temp was +0.3F.

It was unofficially the cloudiest June on record, with a skycover of 7.9.

Chicago officially had their cloudiest June with just 46% of possible sunshine. While Detroit (like most places) does not keep sunshine records anymore, by comparison...Chicagos June skycover was 7.4.

Was unit of measurement is that? 

Everyone I know has commented on how cloudy it was in June.

Got down to 50 here. Would have been a great morning to be out around sunrise on the water with some top water trying to pick up some bass. Would have needed about 8 cans of deep woods off though lolz.

Gonna spend half of the next 96 hours trolling on Apple Canyon Lake...Looking for the elusive "Charlie" that has evaded being landed for years...And hopefully grilling up some fresh walleye for the fourth!

The sun and dry weather is going to be awesome...and a nice break.

Chilly start to the day in NW IL...but the sun is doing its thing.

Was unit of measurement is that? 

Everyone I know has commented on how cloudy it was in June.

Skycover is measured daily on a scale from 1 or 10% (clear skies) to 10 or 100% (cloudy).

Specifically, for statistical purposes, 1-3 on the scale is considered "clear", 4-7 on the scale is considered "partly cloudy" and 8-10 on the scale is considered "cloudy."

Skycover is measured daily on a scale from 1 or 10% (clear skies) to 10 or 100% (cloudy).

Specifically, for statistical purposes, 1-3 on the scale is considered "clear", 4-7 on the scale is considered "partly cloudy" and 8-10 on the scale is considered "cloudy."

There is the ultra rare (at least here) occasional day where you have 0 as well.

Lines up well with ClicheVortex's comments. Clearly low confidence in the 8-10 day range. Hoping the Euro is wrong

I got a kick out of watching Michael Ventrice trash the GFS for not having an eastern trough due to the Typhoon, and praising the Euro for having it. Then Euro takes a less amplified version of the GFS.

The models have slowed down the Typhoon... now it looks to recurve around the 11th of July. 12z GFS has it actually recurving further west than the last time I posted here. Looks like Korea would get struck. But I'm not sure what implications this would have on the US, since there's a ridge over most of the region, opposed to the trough that's typical of recurving Typhoons. This makes me wonder... why is the Typhoon recurving when there's no trough? 

1) There's a stationary front to the west of Korea that's acting as a barrier. However... you'd think there would be some kind of negative height anomaly in the vicinity of the front. 

2) The force from the strong high pressure over Japan is causing the Typhoon to curve around its periphery. 

Since there's no trough over Japan, as is typical of recurving Typhoons, I'm not sure if we'll get the typical result - an eastern US trough ~7 days later. Time will tell.

http://i.imgur.com/uthPNSx.png

I got a kick out of watching Michael Ventrice trash the GFS for not having an eastern trough due to the Typhoon, and praising the Euro for having it. Then Euro takes a less amplified version of the GFS.

The models have slowed down the Typhoon... now it looks to recurve around the 11th of July. 12z GFS has it actually recurving further west than the last time I posted here. Looks like Korea would get struck. But I'm not sure what implications this would have on the US, since there's a ridge over most of the region, opposed to the trough that's typical of recurving Typhoons. This makes me wonder... why is the Typhoon recurving when there's no trough?

1) There's a stationary front to the west of Korea that's acting as a barrier. However... you'd think there would be some kind of negative height anomaly in the vicinity of the front.

2) The force from the strong high pressure over Japan is causing the Typhoon to curve around its periphery.

Since there's no trough over Japan, as is typical of recurving Typhoons, I'm not sure if we'll get the typical result - an eastern US trough ~7 days later. Time will tell.

http://i.imgur.com/uthPNSx.png

You seem to be a big fan of warm weather. I just don't see it. Will probably end up close to normal because of night tome lows , but I can't see any real best coming.

Gonna spend half of the next 96 hours trolling on Apple Canyon Lake...Looking for the elusive "Charlie" that has evaded being landed for years...And hopefully grilling up some fresh walleye for the fourth!

The sun and dry weather is going to be awesome...and a nice break.

Chilly start to the day in NW IL...but the sun is doing its thing.

Nice!  Good luck.  That place is awesome.

Low 70s with 50s dews.  Can't beat that this time of year.  

You seem to be a big fan of warm weather. I just don't see it. Will probably end up close to normal because of night tome lows , but I can't see any real best coming.

Huh? 

I didn't say we're gonna be above average for that time period... just that the Euro has backed off the huge eastern trough solution for the aforementioned time period.

If anything, the point of my post was that a cool mid-July (starting ~17th) is probably in store, as that's what to be expected when there's a Typhoon that recurves around Japan. However... the pattern under which the Typhoon recurved isn't typical... but I dunno if that's going to matter for us. Hence why I said "probably"

Thanks for that. After I typed my question, I was thinking it could be a 1-10 scale.

@ SnowFreak - yeah desert SW could achieve a 0 rating or maybe spots in the High Plains.

Archived