• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 24th Severe Potential

Quincy

This event has had some discussion mixed in a few threads on the GL/OV subforum, but may be more appropriate here.

Low pressure is forecast to be moving east across the central Plains Wednesday evening with a warm front draped over Iowa or perhaps far northern Missouri. The models seem to like a fading MCS or lingering convection moving through during the first half of the day. This could push an outflow boundary/effective warm front somewhat further south or perhaps disrupt the atmosphere a bit.

Nonetheless, virtually all models show strong to extreme instability developing in the warm sector with considerable turning of the wind fields in the lower levels in vicinity of the warm front. Although there doesn't appear to be any significant shortwave forcing, a tendency for modest height falls seems likely and forcing along the front and ahead of the low pressure system may be sufficient for robust thunderstorm development.

Even the Euro (along with the NAM/GFS/RGEM) all develop vigorous convection over Iowa by late afternoon and early evening. The placement is a bit variable in the models, ranging from southwestern Iowa via Euro to eastern Iowa/northwestern Illinois via GFS/RGEM. The NAM is somewhere between.

Forecast soundings are highly impressive, depending on which station you use for the given model output. I don't think that air-mass recovery is a major issue and in fact, the help of an outflow boundary could only locally enhance a tornado threat. We are in the time of the year where length of daytime heating is nearly maximized. Last night, northern Illinois had no problem recovering, even into the very late afternoon/early evening. Wednesday night winds in the upper levels should remain near or just above 50 knots, with a LLJ increasing to 30 to 40 knots, so kinematic support is there.

Good discussion from NWS DSM for Wednesday

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
ISSUED AT 343 PM CDT TUE JUN 23 2015

SEVERE WEATHER OUTBREAK AND HEAVY RAIN POTENTIAL ON WEDNESDAY
INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT WAS THE MAIN CONCERN OVER THE EXTENDED
PERIOD. LEANED TOWARD A NAM/ECMWF BLEND FOR POP/WX TRENDS
WEDNESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT AS GFS SEEMS TOO FAR NORTH WITH
THE WARM FRONT AND THUS CONVECTION.

WEDNESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT...ONGOING MCS TONIGHT IS
ANTICIPATED TO PERSIST THROUGH THE MORNING HOURS OVER FAR
SOUTHERN IOWA AND LOOKS TO STAY SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 34 TO THE
MISSOURI BORDER. QUESTIONABLE HOW FAR NORTH THE WARM FRONT WILL
SURGE ASSOCIATED WITH THE SURFACE LOW EJECTING OUT OF THE CENTRAL
ROCKIES TOMORROW. THIS IS CERTAINLY DEPENDENT ON THE MCS LOCATION
OVERNIGHT TONIGHT...BUT THE NAM/ECMWF AND EVEN THE GFS HAVE A
DECENT HANDLE ON CURRENT CONVECTIVE TRENDS BUT DIFFER IN SOLUTIONS
BY WEDNESDAY MORNING. THE WARM FRONT SHOULD SURGE NORTH TO
NORTHEAST THROUGH THE DAY WEDNESDAY AND LOOKS TO SET UP BETWEEN
INTERSTATE 80 TO HIGHWAY 20 AND BE SLIGHTLY ORIENTED NORTHWEST TO
SOUTHEAST BY THE LATE AFTERNOON. STRONG IMPULSE PUNCHES INTO
WESTERN IOWA BY THE AFTERNOON AND TRANSITIONS EAST THROUGH THE
STATE INTO THE EVENING HOURS WEDNESDAY. STRONG WAA...MOISTURE
TRANSPORT AND THETA-E ADVECTION INTO THE STATE BEHIND THE WARM
FRONT ALLOWING FOR THE ATMOSPHERE TO QUICKLY DESTABILIZE. THE
SURFACE BASED CAPE INCREASES TO AT LEAST 2500 J/KG BUT POSSIBLY
RISING OVER 4500 J/KG BY THE LATE AFTERNOON ALONG THE MO/IA
BORDER. WEAK CAP IN PLACE...BUT AFOREMENTIONED UPPER LEVEL VORT
MAX WILL BE STRONG ENOUGH TO INITIATE STORMS. DEEP LAYER SHEAR
RANGES FROM 45 TO 55 KNOTS AND 0-1 KM SHEAR RANGES FROM 20-25
KNOTS WITH GOOD VEERING THROUGH THE LOWER LEVELS LEADING TO A
DECENT TORNADIC POTENTIAL...ESPECIALLY IF STORMS TIE INTO THE
SURFACE BOUNDARY TO ENHANCE ANY LOW LEVEL VORTICITY. LARGE HAIL
AND WIND ARE ALSO HIGHLY LIKELY WITH THESE STORMS. HENCE...HIGH
CONFIDENCE IN SEVERE WEATHER POTENTIAL ACROSS A GOOD PORTION OF
THE FORECAST AREA TOMORROW AFTERNOON THROUGH THE EVENING. LOWER
CONFIDENCE IN LOCATION OF THE SEVERE WEATHER AS DEPENDENT ON WARM
FRONTAL SURGE AND THUS LEFT LIKELY POPS MENTIONED OVER MUCH OF
CENTRAL SECTIONS OF THE FORECAST AREA FROM WEST TO EAST.

Still somewhat unclear about specifics tomorrow. The 00z NAM isn't initializing too well with current convective trends, but it tends to show minimal convective activity Wednesday morning and continues to develop extreme instability over the southwestern half of Iowa. I peeked at the HopWRF ensembles. Two members echo the operational NAM, but one member shows an smallish MCV-type system moving through Iowa during the mid to late morning. The HRRR, FWIW, it already showing a convective mess allover the state by midday. While I am not sure that I buy it (the model tanked today and was way over-convecting across New England when nothing was going on), I don't think that scenario can be discounted either.

Nonetheless, even with junky convection and/or an early day MCS, the low-end scenario would still favor moderate instability and ample shear for a few severe thunderstorms. I have to lean toward the HRRR given the way this season has panned out, both in terms of early day convection and for the NAM to struggle in the short-term with convective initiation. 

My guess is that SPC will probably maintain an ENH risk with the first day 1 outlook and not go with an upgrade. If for some reason the morning only features minimal convective coverage, then perhaps it could be a big day. At this point in the season, I almost have to take the NAM solution and laugh at it, but it shows a narrow window 00-02z Thursday with intense supercells across Iowa. Following that, the storms quickly merge to form a significant MCS that transverses northern Illinois/Indiana and makes it all the way to western Ohio before dissipating. I guess that discussion should be directed to the GL/OV subforum.

Archived