Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Potential for a rather potent severe weather event

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As modeled would this be a high end severe weather threat with the EML component in SNE?

As modeled...as modeled this does have potential be a higher end severe weather event.  the combination of potentially extreme instability and the look of the hodographs show potential for not only supercells but tornadic supercells.  The potential would also exist for some fairly large hail and damaging winds.  But this is just as modeled right now...the details will be ironed out over the next few days.  

69 hrs out and for this region -> that's impressive.

Very impressive.  I still though wonder if this algorithm is a bit funky.  I think a few years ago they altered the formula a bit and have too much emphasis on high shear so anytime you have even a small amount of cape and high shear it goes a little crazy with this parameter.  Regardless though if models are showing potential for >2500-3000 cape and helicity > 300 you better have eyes open.  

Good stuff, wiz. I... Am interested.

Thanks!

The 21z SPC SREF also has 30% probs of MLcape exceeding 2000 J/KG into central CT with 10% rest of CT into RI and MA.  10% chance of >3000 J/KG of MLcape into western CT, 80%+ probs of 0-6km shear exceeding 50 knots...that's pretty eye opening.  If robust enough updrafts are able to develop and tap into >50 knots of 0-6km shear storms will go wild.  

Wouldn't be surprised if the 00z NAM made wiz faint, holy smokes.

Very impressive indeed.  In fact, the timing is nearly perfect too.  Looks like this could be a later in the day show.  The best height falls seem to occur between 18z and 0z Tuesday.  Right now I would favor pretty much central New England as the main target area as this is where the strongest height falls are confined too.  This is where the cap would be likely to break as well.  

18z GFS tracks the low like 300-400 miles north of the Canadian border, which is probably too far north for my area and most of SNE...right now I'd think areas like ALB and parts of NW Mass have a decent chance. Looks a tad north of 6/1/11 but similar set-up...the low gets down into the 990s at 72 hours which is pretty impressive for this time of year with 20C 850s from the remnant EML to the southwest...really interesting but wish everything could shift south. 

18z GFS tracks the low like 300-400 miles north of the Canadian border, which is probably too far north for my area and most of SNE...right now I'd think areas like ALB and parts of NW Mass have a decent chance. Looks a tad north of 6/1/11 but similar set-up...the low gets down into the 990s at 72 hours which is pretty impressive for this time of year with 20C 850s from the remnant EML to the southwest...really interesting but wish everything could shift south. 

probably going to want to see the mid-level ridging flatten a bit, however, that could also mean slightly reduced shear values if the gradient between the above-average heights and below-average heights up north is lessened.

However, even down this way there isn't a tremendous amount of cap strength which is different than 6/1/11 so we may be able to pop some action.  The nose of the MLJ too punching into the region could be enough to spark off some activity 

Well the GFS rolling in and continues to be quite impressive.  I seriously wonder if when the D3 comes out if the SPC goes with an enhanced risk.  Incredibly rare to see that here but model guidance all day just continues to be quite impressive.  Still not very confined with the southward extend of the potential, however.

This ones going to produce for Wiz. Liking it.

The potential is certainly there but there are still a few questions at play.  The big question is upstream convection and potential for cloud debris.  However, if the EML plume remains in tact this should quickly allow for any debris to erode away.  I don't have high confidence in much down this way but I'm very intrigued further north.  

The GFS though did seem to have a little bit more in the way of height falls across CT which would be good.  

The potential is certainly there but there are still a few questions at play.  The big question is upstream convection and potential for cloud debris.  However, if the EML plume remains in tact this should quickly allow for any debris to erode away.  I don't have high confidence in much down this way but I'm very intrigued further north.  

The GFS though did seem to have a little bit more in the way of height falls across CT which would be good.  

Yeah, I've honestly barely looked at it because these events have a habit of either getting more impressive or less impressive in the days leading up. Seems like a good shot at an event lets hope it all falls together.

They are calling for some heavy thunderstorms into the area. Given the quick influx of humidity into the area on Tuesday, we can pretty much count on northern New England getting slammed come Tuesday Afternoon. The influence of the marine layer into Southern New England, mainly into Eastern Connecticut and Rhode Island could be a big damper on storms in that area, otherwise looking really good for a widespread severe event come Tuesday midday.

When I see Will in this thread wetting undies, I'll know this is for real and possibly life threatening

Well you probably need to wait another day to be sure. Details like any debris or EML coverage just need more time to sort out. The wind fields regardless are impressive though.

Archived