SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 20-21 and June 24-27 Heavy Rain/Severe Threats

Hoosier

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far this is looking a lot like 5/8 where storms began elevated and could never quite become fully rooted in the boundary layer, thus the tornado potential is lowered.

These warm frontal events with a subtle shortwave in the mid levels just skirting the warm sector tend to be grungy like this and with lower tornado potential than one would think given the environments.

Dude, you've had it nailed since at least early this morning with the wagons south call.

cyclone too...actually a number of people were on the south train.

BTW, 18z GFS shifted north for Friday-Saturday.  With how wet the region has been, somebody is going to get unwanted rain.  On another note for anyone on the northern side of that thing, looks like hideous rainy/windy/very cool weather for late June.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  

924 PM CDT WED JUN 24 2015  

UPDATE  

924 PM CDT  

OBSERVATIONAL DATA AND TRENDS SUPPORT THE LIKELIHOOD OF STRONGER  

STORMS AND MOST PROBABLE TRAINING OF HEAVY RAINFALL OVERNIGHT AND  

THURSDAY MORNING TO BE IN THE SOUTHWEST HALF OF THE FORECAST  

AREA...OR SOUTHWEST OF A ROCHELLE IL TO FAR SOUTH METRO TO  

RENSSELAER IN LINE. MULTIPLE MCSS/MCVS OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS  

HAVE HELPED TO KEEP THE PRIMARILY SURFACE BAROCLINIC ZONE WELL TO  

OUR SOUTH...WITH THE 850-925MB FRONT AND ASSOCIATED MUCAPE ABOVE  

THAT BOUNDARY LINED UP FROM CENTRAL IA THROUGH THE QUAD CITIES AND  

ACROSS THE SOUTHERN CWA. THIS AXIS IS FAVORED FOR THE HEAVIEST  

STORM ACTIVITY AND WILL LIKELY TRY TO ADVANCE NORTHWARD IN  

RESPONSE TO A STRENGTHENING LOW-LEVEL JET. HOWEVER THE ORGANIZED  

ROBUST STORMS ACROSS CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN IA WILL LIKELY NOT ALLOW  

IT TO WITH ANY HASTE.  

THE SPC HAS COLLABORATED A FEW OF OUR NORTH CENTRAL IL COUNTIES  

INTO A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR POTENTIAL UPSCALE GROWTH OF  

THE EXISTING CONVECTION. SUCH GROWTH IS LIKELY WITH THE INCREASING  

LOW-LEVEL AND IMPROVING UPPER SUPPORT FROM AN EASTWARD MOVING  

UPPER SPEED MAX AND POSITIVELY TILTED SHORTWAVE TROUGH. IT WOULD  

SEEM THAT STORMS WOULD LIKELY NOT ARRIVE IN THAT AREA UNTIL AFTER  

MIDNIGHT...AND POSSIBLY A COUPLE HOURS AFTER THAT. WIDESPREAD  

STORM ACTIVITY...SUPPORTED BY CORFIDI STORM MOTIONS FROM THE  

DEVELOPING AREA OF IA...IS EXPECTED NEAR OR OVER THE SOUTHWEST  

PART OF THE FORECAST AREA LATE TONIGHT INTO EARLY THURSDAY  

MORNING. HOW MUCH OF THE FORECAST AREA REMAINS UNCERTAIN...BUT IT  

IS LESS LIKELY TO REACH ROCKFORD TO CHICAGO TO FAR NORTHWEST  

INDIANA. HAVE CANCELLED THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH FOR A FEW COUNTIES  

IN THE NORTH AS A RESULT. SOME OF THE STORMS LATE TONIGHT REMAIN  

LIKELY TO TRAIN WITH A VEERING LOW-LEVEL JET AND BACKBUILDING  

VECTORS FROM THE RAP AND NAM SUPPORTING WESTWARD RE-DEVELOPMENT.  

THIS IS MOST FAVORED IN THE SOUTHERN CWA.  

MTF  

The environment is highly sheared, a lot of these storms are showing some sort of rotation. Unfortunately, cells could not stay discrete enough and things are stabilizing. I briefly saw a pair of small, horizontal funnels earlier despite a junky look on radar. Saw a few other similar reports, even a brief tornado or two may have occurred. What a huge waste of instability and shear. You won't get combinations like we saw today very often. Oh well.

The environment is highly sheared, a lot of these storms are showing some sort of rotation. Unfortunately, cells could not stay discrete enough and things are stabilizing. I briefly saw a pair of small, horizontal funnels earlier despite a junky look on radar. Saw a few other similar reports, even a brief tornado or two may have occurred. What a huge waste of instability and shear. You won't get combinations like we saw today very often. Oh well.

Another high potential but low output event. Just the theme of the year I guess.

Another high potential but low output event. Just the theme of the year I guess.

Wasn't really a high potential, there were issues all over this event. Did the parameters go sky high? Sure, but that doesn't mean a high potential. I probably wouldn't have gone to 10% tor with the 2000z update but other than that the outlook class of enhanced was pretty spot on.

Wasn't really a high potential, there were issues all over this event. Did the parameters go sky high? Sure, but that doesn't mean a high potential. I probably wouldn't have gone to 10% tor with the 2000z update but other than that the outlook class of enhanced was pretty spot on.

when I say high potential I'm talking more so that it had the potential to go bonkers on a smaller scale, like let's say one storm goes nuts on the WF and produces several tornadoes. Not an outbreak by any means. That's just my interpretation this go around...

BTW, 18z GFS shifted north for Friday-Saturday.  With how wet the region has been, somebody is going to get unwanted rain.  On another note for anyone on the northern side of that thing, looks like hideous rainy/windy/very cool weather for late June.

00z NAM/GFS are quite impressive with this system.  Very anomalous for the time of year.  Both models are sub 1000 mb with the surface low with fairly robust wind fields on the back side. 

I'm currious to see our flood potential for this evening, (LaGrange IL).. We have some subdivisions in the town I serve, that take 2in of water badly, and flood the basements of the entire area. Which, in turn, causes hundreds of 911 calls relating to gas leaks, electrical fires, sparking, or other nasty things. 

Archived