• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Tropical Season Thread

CT Valley Snowman

TS Bill has made landfall in Texas and is causing more flooding and severe weather issues. The remnants may track near us later Sunday and produce a period of heavy rain and thunderstorms. Most official forecasts from Bill Gray, NOAA, TWC, Accuweather, etc,. are calling for another

below average season in the Atlantic due to the effects of the El Nino in the Pacific which can create a more hostile development for cyclone development with increased dry air and wind shear in the Atlantic Basin. As we know, it only takes one landfalling storm in a relatively benign season to cause a significant impact and even if the African wave train and the ITCZ area is hostile ,we can still get in close development. I'm hoping we can get some excitement tracking at least a few storms this upcoming season.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

As we know, it only takes one landfalling storm in a relatively benign season to cause a significant impact and even if the African wave train and the ITCZ area is hostile ,we can still get in close development. I'm hoping we can get some excitement tracking at least a few storms this upcoming season. 

Expect to see plenty more sheared out messes like this this season. A few years ago this wouldn't have even been classified as it looks like crap on satellite and nhc is using satellite wind measurements to classify it

?

It looked formidable this afternoon (pic included), and while the convection has become more distanced from the COC over the past few hours, it is still producing deep convection. You'd have to go back quite a while to reach a time when the NHC wouldn't classify this—2002 had at least three weak named storms of baroclinic origin off the East Coast.

BsB8vbW.gif

?

It looked formidable this afternoon (pic included), and while the convection has become more distanced from the COC over the past few hours, it is still producing deep convection. You'd have to go back quite a while to reach a time when the NHC wouldn't classify this—2002 had at least three weak named storms of baroclinic origin off the East Coast.

BsB8vbW.gif

Fair enough, I didn't know it looked better earlier. And I agree it would have been classified. Still I think if you're looking for action this season that's where to look

Still highly doubt we see anyhing more then a sheared out mess deep in the MDR. About say 25 is probably the only hope once out of the nuke shear zone

Keep in mind, it's August 1st.  I realize we have a burgeoning warn ENSO to statistically overcome here... but honestly, I haven't seen much evidence that shear is the problem here - and shear being the primary inhibitor during warm ENSOs.  

That factor doesn't appear to me to have actually kicked in, is what I am saying.

It appears the limitations thus far are for other reasons, and one thing I am noticing is a dearth of frequency and potency escaping off the African continent thus far. This has been an intra-continental sickly affair over Africa, and those waves just haven't been coming off the continent with much biceps.  That's important, because immediately leaving the continent out there, they usually encounter "slightly" cooler water, SAL and sometimes higher pressure, and the weaker waves will struggle through that.  

in 1995 there were ... wait. Holy smokes!  That was 20 years ago?!  That's depressing... Anyway, the season was negligible until August, and at one time mid month there were all of the sudden, like I think 5 cyclones trackable out of no where. The season went on to boast historical numbers, a status held until 10 years later in 2005.. .which is now 10 years ago.  wtf!

Point being, this can turn around in a hurry, and yes ... do so anomalous relative to the in situ ENSO.  Now ... I don't know what goes into the Roundy Probabilities, but it can't be entirely useless.  HPC has referred to it a few times over the years..  Those outlooks for August are giant here.  If the lesser shear we are observing continues, things may just gin up -- we'll have to see. One thing that's interesting is that the Pacific's anomalies are LESS than the Atlantic. Not something typically seen.  

Keep in mind, it's August 1st. I realize we have a burgeoning warn ENSO to statistically overcome here... but honestly, I haven't seen much evidence that shear is the problem here - and shear being the primary inhibitor during warm ENSOs.

That factor doesn't appear to me to have actually kicked in, is what I am saying.

It appears the limitations thus far are for other reasons, and one thing I am noticing is a dearth of frequency and potency escaping off the African continent thus far. This has been an intra-continental sickly affair over Africa, and those waves just haven't been coming off the continent with much biceps. That's important, because immediately leaving the continent out there, they usually encounter "slightly" cooler water, SAL and sometimes higher pressure, and the weaker waves will struggle through that.

in 1995 there were ... wait. Holy smokes! That was 20 years ago?! That's depressing... Anyway, the season was negligible until August, and at one time mid month there were all of the sudden, like I think 5 cyclones trackable out of no where. The season went on to boast historical numbers, a status held until 10 years later in 2005.. .which is now 10 years ago. wtf!

Point being, this can turn around in a hurry, and yes ... do so anomalous relative to the in situ ENSO. Now ... I don't know what goes into the Roundy Probabilities, but it can't be entirely useless. HPC has referred to it a few times over the years.. Those outlooks for August are giant here. If the lesser shear we are observing continues, things may just gin up -- we'll have to see. One thing that's interesting is that the Pacific's anomalies are LESS than the Atlantic. Not something typically seen.

I gotcha. But weak waves and a borderline super Nino doesn't exacty sound like a busy MDR season on the way. That and the last few disasters.

I wouldn't be surprised to finaly see some decent waves come off and just as they are doing so bam the shear gun starts blasting.

Time will tell

Archived