• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2015 Observation Thread

Isopycnic

Lame a$$ heatwave!!! GSP made it to 95, oh the humanity! Supposed to be the hottest day of the week, guess I survived this week, will see what happens next week with the torch showing on the models.

The GFS has been awful with this heatwave in our area. We should have had 3 days of 100+ here, but we have not.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you have already mentioned a few of these, but here is what I found for the region for today: (Data from NWS at city airports)

Boone        85

Asheville     89

Atlanta        94

Greenville (SC)  95

Winston Salem  96

Anderson           96

Greensboro       98

Athens               98

Charleston         99

Savannah          99

Myrtle Beach     99

Charlotte           99

Macon               99

Augusta            100

Wilmington        100

Raleigh Durham 100

Columbia            101

Florence             101

Orangeburg        101

Cola Owens        102

New Bern           102

Fayetville            102

Lumberton          103

I imagine there were some 103 and 104 readings somewhere, anyone see any higher official readings?

Wunderground shows sumter at 106 today - not sure that is correct though. 

The GFS has been awful with this heatwave in our area. We should have had 3 days of 100+ here, but we have not.

Don't complain, it could still happen  :weenie: . If I ever see 100 again it will be too soon!!! So far, we have escaped the brunt of this one, with the core starting 100 miles to our South and East. I am fine with that- but unfortunately, Summer begins next week :cry: 

Our 95 and under streak continues for another day, but WYFF is forecasting 98 tomorrow. Originally, Monday was supposed to be the hottest day, then Today, and now tomorrow. That seems to be the norm for heat waves.  

Don't complain, it could still happen  :weenie: . If I ever see 100 again it will be too soon!!! So far, we have escaped the brunt of this one, with the core starting 100 miles to our South and East. I am fine with that- but unfortunately, Summer begins next week :cry:

Our 95 and under streak continues for another day, but WYFF is forecasting 98 tomorrow. Originally, Monday was supposed to be the hottest day, then Today, and now tomorrow. That seems to be the norm for heat waves.  

I'm glad we haven't hit 100. Hopefully the GFS will continue to be wrong like this for a while. The Euro showing high heat next week is worrisome though.

As a rule you should take 1-5 degrees off whatever the GFS shows especially outside of 3-4 days for highs in these setups as it has a horrible warm bias, which many of us have been saying seemingly for nothing over and over again. It doesn't really matter we hit 102 on my porch today but the heat index never went over 105,  yesterday we topped out at 99 on my porch but the heat index was 107 so it felt hotter yesterday. So whats worse 102 with a heat index of 105 or 99 with a heat index of 107?

As a rule you should take 1-5 degrees off whatever the GFS shows especially outside of 3-4 days for highs in these setups as it has a horrible warm bias, which many of us have been saying seemingly for nothing over and over again. It doesn't really matter we hit 102 on my porch today but the heat index never went over 105,  yesterday we topped out at 99 on my porch but the heat index was 107 so it felt hotter yesterday. So whats worse 102 with a heat index of 105 or 99 with a heat index of 107?

Not sure anyone could really tell much of a difference between those two. Think I'd still rather say it was 99 than 102, just a mental thing with that triple digit mark. 

Some of you have already mentioned a few of these, but here is what I found for the region for today: (Data from NWS at city airports)

Boone        85

Asheville     89

Atlanta        94

Greenville (SC)  95

Winston Salem  96

Anderson           96

Greensboro       98

Athens               98

Charleston         99

Savannah          99

Myrtle Beach     99

Charlotte           99

Macon               99

Augusta            100

Wilmington        100

Raleigh Durham 100

Columbia            101

Florence             101

Orangeburg        101

Cola Owens        102

New Bern           102

Fayetville            102

Lumberton          103

I imagine there were some 103 and 104 readings somewhere, anyone see any higher official readings?

Wunderground shows sumter at 106 today - not sure that is correct though. 

Actually, Wunderground showed Sumter hit 109. Dublin was the hot spot in Ga at 104, and Lumberton hit 103 for the hot spot in NC.

PGV tied its record high at the airport which was 100 but the local TV stations all had 101-102 at their studios......already 3-6 degrees behind yesterday this same time temp wise for most areas.....

yesterday at PGV the 9:55 obs it was 90 with a 97 heat index today at 9:55 its 84 with a 90 heat index

Somehow i only managed 99 yesterday. HRRR, rap, and gfs are showing 100 here today. We'll see. 93 right now at 11:30.  Also of note is  how warm the gfs/nam are with lows for tonight in many areas, with low temps of around 80. Morning low today was 74.

Somehow i only managed 99 yesterday. HRRR, rap, and gfs are showing 100 here today. We'll see. 93 right now at 11:30.  Also of note is  how warm the gfs/nam are with lows for tonight in many areas, with low temps of around 80. Morning low today was 74.

It appears you are under a heat advisory for today.

It appears you are under a heat advisory for today.

Yep and it's well deserved too. Finally hit 100..100.3 currently. Dp is 70 so have a heat index of around 107/108. :axe:

Damn it's awful...like sticking your head in an oven as soon as you open the door. It's incredible how quickly you can become soaked in sweet in these conditions.

Yep and it's well deserved too. Finally hit 100..100.3 currently. Dp is 70 so have a heat index of around 107/108. :axe:

Damn it's awful...like sticking your head in an oven as soon as you open the door. It's incredible how quickly you can become soaked in sweet in these conditions.

That sucks. 98F so far today(currently 97) here. Only good thing here is there is an explosion of big cumulous clouds just a few miles to the north and east. Weatherbug radar even shows a shower north of my location. Dewpoints strangely haven't been a big issue here with mainly low to mid 60s Dewpoints.

3:00pm Temps - couple degrees below yesterday so far:

AVL - 87

RDU - 92

GSP - 93

ATL - 93

CLT - 96

CAE - 100

FLO - 100

very similar to yesterday with the exception of RDU, who is a good bit cooler than yesterday.

Wunderground showing Sumter(city) at 107F. Sumter(Shaw AFB) is 101F.

3 locations(Dublin, Homerville and Washington) in Ga are at 102F, No one in NC has hit 100(Lumberton at 99) is the hot spot.

... A Severe Thunderstorm Warning remains in effect until 430 PM EDT
for southwestern Polk... southeastern Henderson and northeastern
Greenville counties...

At 349 PM EDT... Doppler radar indicated a severe thunderstorm capable
of producing damaging winds in excess of 60 mph. This storm was
located 4 miles south of Hendersonville... or near Flat Rock... moving
east at 10 mph. Penny size hail may also accompany the damaging
winds.

Locations impacted include...
Flat Rock... Laurel Park... Tryon... Saluda... Pleasant Ridge State
Park... Tigerville... Lake Robinson... Valley Hill... East Flat Rock and
North Saluda Reservoir.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

This storm is capable of blowing down scattered trees and power
lines. Brief large hail may also occur. Seek shelter inside an
interior room.

Please report damaging winds... hail... or flooding to the National
Weather Service Greenville Spartanburg by calling toll free... 1...
800... 2 6 7... 8 1 0 1... or by posting on our facebook Page... or tweet
it using hashtag nwsgsp. Your message should describe the event and
the specific location where it occurred.

Lat... Lon 3521 8213 3519 8214 3519 8222 3507 8222
      3497 8228 3515 8259 3524 8260 3534 8254
time... Mot... loc 1949z 284deg 9kt 3525 8249

I hope it comes off the mountain and rolls into downtown Greenville. That would cool things down. 

Archived