joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2015 pattern discussion

GaWx

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, soil moisture is a big player, especially if there is adequate mixing of the atmosphere. So yes, humidity plays a role in max temps. However, the models should take that into account.

Makes sense , the models really are the issue , I believe ! In winter, they often can't pick up on the low dewpoints ahead of a storm. Often off by 5-10 degrees, on the high side, than actual.

GFS Ensemble data showing 3 straight days of 98-99 degree heat starting next weekend...and even the Euro ENS are spitting out 95-96 degree heat in the same time frame...

Given model consensus and GFS bias, I could see a 3 day run of 95-98 for the North Carolina Foothills, Western Piedmont, Upstate SC being bookended by days of 93-96...

Biggest difference I see synoptic is that the GFS builds a pretty good 594dm ridge overhead the interior Carolinas while the Euro centers a skinny heat ridge along and south of I-20 from SC to AL/MS...

The Euro solution would allow the potential for  west to east MCS activity...and an earlier break in the heat.

GFS Ensemble data showing 3 straight days of 98-99 degree heat starting next weekend...and even the Euro ENS are spitting out 95-96 degree heat in the same time frame...

Given model consensus and GFS bias, I could see a 3 day run of 95-98 for the North Carolina Foothills, Western Piedmont, Upstate SC being bookended by days of 93-96...

Biggest difference I see synoptic is that the GFS builds a pretty good 594dm ridge overhead the interior Carolinas while the Euro centers a skinny heat ridge along and south of I-20 from SC to AL/MS...

The Euro solution would allow the potential for  west to east MCS activity...and an earlier break in the heat.

I hope we get the Euro solution, as i would be on the northern fringe and could get some MCS activity possibly.

I hope we get the Euro solution, as i would be on the northern fringe and could get some MCS activity possibly.

Yep the Euro shows the ridge pulling out around day 7-8 to be replaced by a fairly strong trough. It looks like it could be close to the same pattern we went through last Tuesday through Thursday with the big ridge back from Texas towards the 4 corners but that is 8-10 days out and a lot could change. By the way, Wxsouth is on board for a return to the heat later this week right through next weekend. He thinks some us us will see 100 from it.

This pattern across the Southeast US is just horrible right now...either a ridge sets up overhead or it slides just far enough west to send winds screaming from the northwest...which is another drying wind just east of the Apps...

Now, Eastern Carolina tends to be ok in that type of northwest flow because the compression is negated by the time you get that far to the east.

The "only" saving grace would be if an extremely well organized series of MCS could gather themselves as the ridge retrogrades...but otherwise its a lot of nothing for many west of 77 in NC and SC...

SOIL PCT MONTH PRELIM-P PRECIP

MOISTURE FIELD CHANGE MOIST FINAL -F NEEDED

UPPER LOWER CAP. POT RUN CROP FROM ANOM PALMER TO END

TEMP PCPN LAYER LAYER END EVAP OFF MOIST PREV (Z) DROUGHT DROUGHT

ST CD CLIMATE DIVISION (F) (IN) (IN) (IN) WEEK (IN) (IN) INDEX WEEK INDEX INDEX (IN)

SC 1 MOUNTAIN 70.2 1.17 0.34 4.93 87.9 1.08 0.00 0.08 0.10 -1.02 -2.21 F 8.63

SC 2 NORTHWEST 75.2 0.71 0.00 2.84 47.3 1.25 0.00 -0.82 -0.14 -1.89 -1.76 F 4.79

SC 3 NORTH CENTRAL 78.4 0.45 0.00 1.33 22.1 1.41 0.00 -2.86 -0.30 -3.97 -2.88 F 7.93

SC 4 NORTHEAST 79.4 1.16 0.00 2.62 43.7 1.44 0.00 -0.88 0.19 -2.46 -1.60 F 4.56

SC 5 WEST CENTRAL 77.5 1.68 0.33 2.59 48.6 1.35 0.00 -0.51 0.76 -1.89 -1.00 P 2.52

SC 6 CENTRAL 79.1 1.59 0.16 2.38 42.4 1.43 0.00 -0.64 0.69 -2.20 -1.32 P 3.97

SC 7 SOUTHERN 80.2 1.88 0.62 2.72 55.7 1.53 0.00 0.00 0.37 -0.72 -0.37 P

The GFS spitting out ridiculously high temps again for SC and KCHS proper. However, the last heat wave failed to reach 100 and given the amounts of rain that have fallen, I subsequently will say that will probably not happen this time, either. Very hot, yes but triple digit for KCHS? Probably not.

SBCAPES even with strong subsidence will climb over 4000 J/Kg and still likely develop some pulse convection in that kins of environment.

The GFS spitting out ridiculously high temps again for SC and KCHS proper. However, the last heat wave failed to reach 100 and given the amounts of rain that have fallen, I subsequently will say that will probably not happen this time, either. Very hot, yes but triple digit for KCHS? Probably not.

SBCAPES even with strong subsidence will climb over 4000 J/Kg and still likely develop some pulse convection in that kins of environment.

The GFS has been way inaccurate with temps. I would take it with a big block of salt.

From WxSouth this morning:

Current radar (Wednesday morning) with my best chance of storms shown in the red contours. The best chance will be southeast Virginia and eastern NC late today as the northwest flow jumps the mountains and usually re-converges east of I-77.
This flow is still extremely anomalous--we should have deep southerly or southwest flow at all levels, providing rich moisture and abundant thunderstorm chances, but as you've noticed, there's quite a drought brewing east of the mountains. The same areas will always get skipped in this kind of flow (upper SC, sw VA and western NC). Unfortunately, the drought will grow worse and widen, and there's not much rain shown anywhere in the Southeast over the next week, even where it had been raining a lot in TN, AL, part of GA and Mississippi.

11665355_1092546357442085_26706071179637

Just saw a guy on TWC from WSI, he said this niño is the strongest he's seen since 97-98, and extreme heat in th SE and NW, wet in the plains, is normal for a summer pattern during a strong niño , so no worries, this suctastic summer pattern is what's suppose to happen and I'm sure it will screw us in the winter as well, with no cold to go with the moisture! #LONGLIVEELNINO!

Just saw a guy on TWC from WSI, he said this niño is the strongest he's seen since 97-98, and extreme heat in th SE and NW, wet in the plains, is normal for a summer pattern during a strong niño , so no worries, this suctastic summer pattern is what's suppose to happen and I'm sure it will screw us in the winter as well, with no cold to go with the moisture! #LONGLIVEELNINO!

This could be a worry. It usually equates to better chances for wintery storms, but if it is strong enough it will overwhelm the country with warmth. So basically we in the SE don't like a very strong niño.  

This could be a worry. It usually equates to better chances for wintery storms, but if it is strong enough it will overwhelm the country with warmth. So basically we in the SE don't like a very strong niño.

Yeah, if we get a super nino, go ahead and start looking forward to winter 2016-2017.

michael-scott-no.gif

From WxSouth this morning:

Current radar (Wednesday morning) with my best chance of storms shown in the red contours. The best chance will be southeast Virginia and eastern NC late today as the northwest flow jumps the mountains and usually re-converges east of I-77.

This flow is still extremely anomalous--we should have deep southerly or southwest flow at all levels, providing rich moisture and abundant thunderstorm chances, but as you've noticed, there's quite a drought brewing east of the mountains. The same areas will always get skipped in this kind of flow (upper SC, sw VA and western NC). Unfortunately, the drought will grow worse and widen, and there's not much rain shown anywhere in the Southeast over the next week, even where it had been raining a lot in TN, AL, part of GA and Mississippi.

I love Robert, don't get me wrong.. But WNC does ok with these type flows. We have storms popping right now in Buncombe co. giving some their hardest rain in around a week. I do agree that the downslope areas do very poorly with these flows though. I like the flow though for mby, but that is just my opinion.

Archived