SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 1st-6th Severe Events

Quincy

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly worried about deep layer shear, and these initial NE NE cells are adding to that. We've gotten away without a ton lately, but HRRR/RAP analysis shows we're struggling to break 30 kt, given near southerly surface flow. Time will tell.

Yeah I was thinking about that too, going to be a case of the low levels driving the setup if this does work out.

Berthoud tornado rated EF3, Simla tornadoes EF1

http://www.weather.gov/bou/StormSurveys

Don't see many EF3s that close to the mountains, impressive.

The last one that I can remember that was remotely near the foothills was the 2008 EF3 Windsor wedge tornado, one of the more impressive Front Range twisters on record - and unfortunately one of the few that resulted in loss of life. It's fortunate that this one didn't strike about 10 miles further south, a much more populated area.

Berthoud is the first EF3 since Windsor.

Sent from my iPhone

Yup. CO gets a lot of tornadoes, #6 state in the nation for number, and they pretty much all happen in 1/2 half of the state. But the vast majority are EF1 or EF0.

The Windsor tornado was a monster compared to the Berthoud one, though...a mile wide and on the ground for 38 miles. Way more EF3 damage with that one, and again we were fortunate that it tracked mostly across a sparsely populated area (until the very end).

Great article on CO twister history: http://www.kktv.com/blogs/talkweather/Colorado_Tornado_History_208432951.html

Archived