SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 1st-6th Severe Events

Quincy

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently (per Twitter) Quincy just came incredibly close to getting struck by lightning, as in within 25 feet.

Tornado warned storm that had a likely erroneous report of a "confirmed" tornado. Was right on it and well before has a feeling that the low clouds and scud would probably get misreported once it got dark. Lots of vivid lightning. Close enough to one that I felt a strong shock in my right hand and forearm. Was barely out of my car for a minute to take a photo, but that's all it takes.

Flash Flood Emergency for Northeast Boulder and Southeast Larimer

4 to 8 inches of rain have fallen over quite a large area... I don't know much about front range weather but I imagine that that's pretty impressive and rare given the fact that usually there is a lack of moisture? Of course there is lots of orographic related lift to enhance thunderstorm potential, but I'm not sure how much that matters in these situations. Can someone educate me on this?

4 to 8 inches of rain have fallen over quite a large area... I don't know much about front range weather but I imagine that that's pretty impressive and rare given the fact that usually there is a lack of moisture? Of course there is lots of orographic related lift to enhance thunderstorm potential, but I'm not sure how much that matters in these situations. Can someone educate me on this?

The storms this evening have been pretty rare in how persistent and slow-moving they've been...but it definitely happens. See: Sep 2013. Some parts of Boulder County received over 10" in like 6 hours.

Literally all models have done a terrible job handling these MCS's across NE KS/ SE NE/ NW MO the past few days. On a side note, what's with the HRRR lately? It's really been god awful nearly this entire year.

I don't feel too bad about how today ended up. I thought it had potential, and I did everything right in case that potential was realized. For a brief moment I thought a storm was going to make it through the cap just E of Phillipsburg. It wasn't meant to be and cap busts are part of the deal. I never considered targeting Colorado so I don't feel bad about missing that either. Today felt like an actual chase day unlike other days this year so I got some enjoyment from it.

I don't feel too bad about how today ended up. I thought it had potential, and I did everything right in case that potential was realized. For a brief moment I thought a storm was going to make it through the cap just E of Phillipsburg. It wasn't meant to be and cap busts are part of the deal. I never considered targeting Colorado so I don't feel bad about missing that either. Today felt like an actual chase day unlike other days this year so I got some enjoyment from it.

Likewise, I never seriously considered CO today. I'm not sure I can completely move past it, though, because it truly was one of the best storms of the decade so far... and I was sitting a few hours away. Chasing is just brutal. Especially when CO decides to light up :lol:. IMHO, these crazy CO days like Campo and today (among numerous others that were very low-key even 6 hours beforehand) prove we still have plenty to learn about environments promoting supercell tornadogenesis.

The structure and lightning with the NW KS storms around sunset were simply awesome, at least.

Likewise, I never seriously considered CO today. I'm not sure I can completely move past it, though, because it truly was one of the best storms of the decade so far... and I was sitting a few hours away. Chasing is just brutal. Especially when CO decides to light up :lol:. IMHO, these crazy CO days like Campo and today (among numerous others that were very low-key even 6 hours beforehand) prove we still have plenty to learn about environments promoting supercell tornadogenesis.

The structure and lightning with the NW KS storms around sunset were simply awesome, at least.

Totally agree. We wwre on both supercells in western KS and the structure was fantastic and that was one of the best lightning shows I've seen in years.

Archived