SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2015 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

June finished here with a -0.8 temp departure....Avg max temp of 77.6 degrees was the same as May which is extremely unusual...Precip was 6.24" and adding in what fell on May 31st and this morning, 8.50" has fallen past 32 days.

Central Park finishes June with a -0.2F departure and 1 90-degree day. Not many hot days, but the nights were mostly mild except for June 1-2.

Definitely thinking we see a slightly below average July, and Central Park should finish the summer with fewer 90-degree days than normal.

June finished here with a -0.8 temp departure....Avg max temp of 77.6 degrees was the same as May which is extremely unusual...Precip was 6.24" and adding in what fell on May 31st and this morning, 8.50" has fallen past 32 days.

Under 3" here for the same period.

I agree NYC sees few 90s this summer. Some of it actual weather and some of it the obvious vegetation problem

June finales

NYC: -0.3

EWR: -0.4

LGA: -0.9

JFK: +0.8

TTN: +0.9

PHL: +1.6

Interesting because there is a perception that this June was unsummerlike temp wise..if you remove that first ridiculous week...everyobe goes above normal. In any case Ill have to find Belle Meads official numbers but im pretty sure we finished on the plus side

Interesting because there is a perception that this June was unsummerlike temp wise..if you remove that first ridiculous week...everyobe goes above normal. In any case Ill have to find Belle Meads official numbers but im pretty sure we finished on the plus side

Lmao... If you remove the middle of the month I'm sure we finished well below normal...lol

If you remove the entire first week, plus the last 6 days, plus a couple days around the passage of TS Bill... then sure. You have a week and a half of summer weather. Splendid by all accounts.

Gotta love selective endpoints.

All im saying is you had a ridiculous first few days of rain and clouds...then it turned warm....fact is it was a pretty normal June temp wise with temps very close to avg either side

If you're going to use those days as outliers, then you might as well remove any exceedingly above average days. 

It was not wet. Only a third of an inch above average in the park.

A lot of places in the area, and farther north, got deluged. Our family vacation house in PA, located at 1560' elevation in the northern Poconos/Endless Mountains, got deluged. Parts of VT had 10" rain.

Even here in Westchester, we had a bit more than the City. The June 1st rain event was prolific here, and the recent round of thunderstorms Tuesday knocked out power and delivered copious anounts of rain.

The interesting thing is that high temperatures were muted, with only one 90-degree day in NYC and nothing close in Dobbs Ferry. Low temperatures were mild save two nights in the upper 40s on June 1-2. Nothing oppressive though, and July is starting cool with upper 70s yesterday and today, and low 70s for July 4th with rain and east winds. Typical strong El Nino summer.

A lot of places in the area, and farther north, got deluged. Our family vacation house in PA, located at 1560' elevation in the northern Poconos/Endless Mountains, got deluged. Parts of VT had 10" rain.

Even here in Westchester, we had a bit more than the City. The June 1st rain event was prolific here, and the recent round of thunderstorms Tuesday knocked out power and delivered copious anounts of rain.

The interesting thing is that high temperatures were muted, with only one 90-degree day in NYC and nothing close in Dobbs Ferry. Low temperatures were mild save two nights in the upper 40s on June 1-2. Nothing oppressive though, and July is starting cool with upper 70s yesterday and today, and low 70s for July 4th with rain and east winds. Typical strong El Nino summer.

Had 6.25" rain here for the month and have had 8.50" since May 31st....also while June had a -0.8 degree departure, the max temp departure was -2.5 degrees but like you mentioned the nights were mild for the most part.

Had 6.25" rain here for the month and have had 8.50" since May 31st....also while June had a -0.8 degree departure, the max temp departure was -2.5 degrees but like you mentioned the nights were mild for the most part.

Public will remember it as a cool June because of the lack of warm daytime highs (only one 90-degree day at Central Park) and frequent rainfall/cloudiness. Strong gradient as DC finished well above normal while much of VT/NH/ME was 3-4F below average with only one or two days in the 80s.

June 2015 averaged 71.2 in KNYC...It had a max. of 90 and a min. of 50...the long term average is near 71.0...The 30 year average from 1980-2009 is 71.7...the minimums are rising while the maximums are dropping for June...

June......Ave temp...max...min...ave max/min...
1870's.....70.4.......na.....na.....na.....na
1880's.....70.5.......96.....48.....91.0.....51.5
1890's.....70.9.......97.....48.....93.6.....53.4
1900's.....70.0.......95.....48.....91.1.....52.7
1910's.....69.0.......95.....47.....90.9.....51.1
1920's.....70.1.......99.....45.....92.7.....51.0
1930's.....71.6.....101.....47.....93.7.....52.4
1940's.....71.5.......99.....44.....93.9.....51.1
1950's.....71.2.....100.....48.....94.2.....51.9
1960's.....72.0.....101.....48.....95.5.....52.7
1970's.....71.0.......95.....46.....91.1.....52.0
1980's.....71.7.......98.....47.....92.7.....52.6
1990's.....72.2.......98.....49.....92.8.....52.6
2000's.....71.3.......96.....49.....91.4.....52.5

2010's.....72.4.......95.....50.....92.0.....53.7

1870/1880-
2009 ave 70.9.....101.....44.....92.7.....52.1
1980-
2009 ave 71.7.......98.....47.....92.3.....52.6

I hate when Central Park is used as the barometer for the entire area which encompasses almost 1000 square miles. It rained IMBY 22 out of 30 days.

it's the longest barometer we have...it used to be Battery park when I started getting into weather history...That sight was worse especially in hot weather...a sw wind coming in from the bay would hold afternoon temperatures almost five degrees lower than Central Park...

I am sitting I my hotel balcony in the Swiss Alps, where it is still over 20C at 11:30 at night (elevation is around 3700ft). We got into the mid 30s C again today, and it was actually pretty humid too. I went to Jungfraujoch yesterday, elev of about 11,500ft. Even there it was 10-12C, the glacier was melting like mad. We've seen frequent small avalanches and gigantic temporary waterfalls from all the snow melt as well. Really kind of crazy. Tomorrow the high is again supposed to be around 33C.

I am sitting I my hotel balcony in the Swiss Alps, where it is still over 20C at 11:30 at night (elevation is around 3700ft). We got into the mid 30s C again today, and it was actually pretty humid too. I went to Jungfraujoch yesterday, elev of about 11,500ft. Even there it was 10-12C, the glacier was melting like mad. We've seen frequent small avalanches and gigantic temporary waterfalls from all the snow melt as well. Really kind of crazy. Tomorrow the high is again supposed to be around 33C.

Wow low to mid 90s at that altitude is insane

Wow low to mid 90s at that altitude is insane

It's been crazy. The trains got messed up yesterday because the tracks started warping from the heat. We were out in tshirts on the glacier yesterday at 11,000+ ft because it was a super bright sun and mid 50s. Usually it's below freezing up there.

June finished here with a -0.8 temp departure....Avg max temp of 77.6 degrees was the same as May which is extremely unusual...Precip was 6.24" and adding in what fell  on May 31st and this morning, 8.50" has fallen past 32 days.

-0.1 was the temp departure here, and mean max of 78.8 vs May's 77.4. Pretty forgettable June overall. Rain was 5.33".

Archived