joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2015 General Thunderstorm Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really surprised there isn't an SPS up.....another close one; perhaps closer to Hippy.

Second day in a row that numerous storms cause damage outside of the SLGT risk zone with no mesoscale discussion or watch. I think given the marginal to arguably sub-marginal parameter space, a watch wasn't warranted. I haven't looked at winds, but I bet most are below severe limits, but we know that 25-40kt gusts can cause damage in this area.

Yesterday, a mesoscale discussion was issued around 3 p.m. (local time) for the Great Lakes. Numerous damaging storms fired up by 5 p.m. and a watch was never issued, despite storms impacting large cities (Milwaukee and Chicago metro) and fairly notable damage being observed at the PGA Championship.

Nah it was just south really. But needed.

I saw mesos had this. Did this event get poo-pood by everyone?

The bulk of the activity was south of here, but we did have a freshening breeze, cool temps, and a couple of CG strikes.  It was too dark to go out after the rain stopped to see if I could find lightning evidence.  I'll check things in the a.m.

64.7/63

Yeah, we got blasted about an hour ago. I don't think I've seen lightning that intense in years. I think that's the last time I'm driving to get a bite to eat in in the middle of a heavy thunderstorm. It's incredible and terrifying to see lightning flash right in front of your eyes while on the road. We also lost power briefly but I think folks in Scituate had more widespread power issues.  Oh and I wonder if that cluster of thunderstorms/heavy rain will hold together as it moves towards the east?

Edit: Scott, that's an interesting point you make about the boundaries in place over eastern mass. I remember watching the radar earlier and you could see storms developing/training over the same areas, albeit just offshore. You could just get the sense by the middle of this afternoon that things were really going to pop at any time.

CONGRATS to those getting stormed on....

Had a garden variety thunderstorm here today. The rainfall rate at it's height was over 10.00"/hr!

Not a day goes by that one has to stop and just gaze at the towers, illuminated cells with C/C, C/G, especially at sunset. Numerous roll clouds at the base pitch black, with rain shafts scattered about. Mushroom columns that you can actually watch explode. Mammatus that go from grey to yellow, orange, fire red and fade to pink. The daily show lasts until an hour or so after sunset.        

Archived