Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Unofficial Start to Summer Banter

dmillz25

How's your redwood and sequoia?

Sequoia is fine. Redwood couldn't handle two severe winters in a row, I'm afraid. Might've helped if it had been a bit stronger. I Might try again in NJ, but am already trying again here in Virginia (and that won't be as easy as it sounds... Out here by Dulles is just as cold and wintry as at my parents.)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philly sub-forum is so dead, the deadest of the regional sub-forums. No posts for nearly a week. Maybe now, the admins will realize, it might be time to merge it back in with NYC.

Didn't help when Tombo and Amp jumped ship. Even here is much less active without Earthlight. Hope the grass is as green on the other side as they thought.

Sequoia is fine. Redwood couldn't handle two severe winters in a row, I'm afraid. Might've helped if it had been a bit stronger. I Might try again in NJ, but am already trying again here in Virginia (and that won't be as easy as it sounds... Out here by Dulles is just as cold and wintry as at my parents.)

That sucks. At least you have one still going. It's a challenge for sure.

Philly sub-forum is so dead, the deadest of the regional sub-forums.  No posts for nearly a week.  Maybe now, the admins will realize, it might be time to merge it back in with NYC.

Be great for you and the other 'ol philly posters to join the forum.  I always include philly in the updates and totals.  

You guys have to remember that we are exiting the time of year that historically has the lowest board participation, and it would still be very inactive if not for the Tropics heating up. People will start to fill in during September when all the Winter speculation begins and then by October this place will be busy again.

I do agree on the merging back with Philly, but if you remember they did a survey back last Winter and they voted not to join back with us. 

You guys have to remember that we are exiting the time of year that historically has the lowest board participation, and it would still be very inactive if not for the Tropics heating up. People will start to fill in during September when all the Winter speculation begins and then by October this place will be busy again.

I do agree on the merging back with Philly, but if you remember they did a survey back last Winter and they voted not to join back with us.

Too much drama for the PHL

Dulles is more similar to Trenton's winter than Reagan National, but TTN is still colder/snowier.

Reagan: 15" snowfall / 36F mean January

Dulles: 22" snowfall / 33F mean January

Trenton: 25" snowfall / 31F mean January

Dulles is more similar to Trenton's winter than Reagan National, but TTN is still colder/snowier.

Reagan: 15" snowfall / 36F mean January

Dulles: 22" snowfall / 33F mean January

Trenton: 25" snowfall / 31F mean January

Its a pretty slim margin.  Check out the winter mins though... Dulles beats Trenton.

Its a pretty slim margin.  Check out the winter mins though... Dulles beats Trenton.

I might be looking at incorrect data, but here's what I'm seeing:

January    Average High / Low

Trenton          38.5 / 23.5

Dulles            42.5 / 23.9

February   

Trenton           42.1 / 25.6

Dulles             46.4 / 26.0

December

Trenton            43.2 / 27.8

Dulles              46.0 / 27.1

TTN DJF mean minimum: 25.6

IAD DJF mean minimum: 25.7

I have an idea! Let's act like 15 year old teenage girls and make fun of other sites and former posters of this site!!!

People leave for their own reasons. Earthlight has his reasons as do nearly 420+ (and counting) others.

Get over it.

I mean the actual yearly min (lowest of the year). Maybe you can't call it up, but sub-zero has been considerably more common at IAD than at TTN.

Interesting. I wonder if that's merely a product of being further west in longitude and more inland. The difference in elevation isn't significant (210ft vs. 312ft). However, there are numerous locations in the Central Plains at latitudes quite a bit further south than us that have lower yearly minima, so it makes sense. The interior location of the site probably plays the largest role.

Interesting. I wonder if that's merely a product of being further west in longitude and more inland. The difference in elevation isn't significant (210ft vs. 312ft). However, there are numerous locations in the Central Plains at latitudes quite a bit further south than us that have lower yearly minima, so it makes sense. The interior location of the site probably plays the largest role.

Probably a local geographic artifact, since TTN is near the top of a hill while IAD is kinda in a low spot.

Interesting, maybe it could be cause it's more inland like you said. Funny thing is, there's times where Northern Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee can be just as cool, if not cooler than where I am. And I'm not talking about the Appalachians either, the lower elevation suburbs really cool down well. The mountains are a different story altogether.

Honestly I think Trenton has a better chance for snow, but last year Dulles got exceptionally cold with multiple sub zero I think?

Interesting, maybe it could be cause it's more inland like you said. Funny thing is, there's times where Northern Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee can be just as cool, if not cooler than where I am. And I'm not talking about the Appalachians either, the lower elevation suburbs really cool down well. The mountains are a different story altogether.

Honestly I think Trenton has a better chance for snow, but last year Dulles got exceptionally cold with multiple sub zero I think?

I don't know much about exact location of TTN, but I know Dulles is kind of in the middle of nowhere..esp to the west of the airport.

Maybe TTN is in a more urbanized area.

IAD is well west of this area though, equivalent of central PA.

I don't know much about exact location of TTN, but I know Dulles is kind of in the middle of nowhere..esp to the west of the airport.

Maybe TTN is in a more urbanized area.

IAD is well west of this area though, equivalent of central PA.

I answered why I think the difference exists above, but as far as urbanity, Dulles has rapidly been encroached by development on all sides, so their urban-ness is now pretty similar.

Fu.

Going to stewart saturday for the air show. Hopefully its better organized than the one in rhode island i went to a couple months ago...2 1/2 hrs just to get out of the parking lot.

That's not off to a good start...http://abc7ny.com/news/plane-practicing-for-ny-air-show-crashes-killing-pilot/960733/

I have an idea! Let's act like 15 year old teenage girls and make fun of other sites and former posters of this site!!!

People leave for their own reasons. Earthlight has his reasons as do nearly 420+ (and counting) others.

Get over it.

Last winter was the worst yet on here-it almost drove me to leave too. PHL doesn't want to merge back because they don't want to put up with the weenies and trolls. Hard for me to blame them. 

Last winter was the worst yet on here-it almost drove me to leave too. PHL doesn't want to merge back because they don't want to put up with the weenies and trolls. Hard for me to blame them. 

Agree. Nothing is going on with the weather. I don't understand why people care so much about that portal.

I post in the Philly thread in winter when the NYC portal is a train off the tracks.

Mt Holly covers my county, so I feel okay to post there when I want too.

Archived