joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Unofficial Start to Summer Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile the Pacific has been very active in all basins with many high end Super Typhoons. I wonder if that has any factor in what happens over here. Maybe there is just x amount of atmospheric energy to work with and right now we're on the wrong end of it.

I doubt it. That would have to do more with baroclynic fourcing. Tropical systems derive their energy directly from the oceacianic heat content directly below them and to a lesser extent around them. This is especially true in the deep tropics. Obviously Sandy doesn't fit this mold. The Atlantic has just been highly unfavorable

A new paper on Sandy thinks that the reason the Euro did so much better than the GFS

was more accurate cumulus parameterization. 

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2014GL059839/full

The extremely damaging Hurricane Sandy (2012) is noteworthy for the significant track bifurcation among several forecast models approximately 6–7 days before landfall. The operational versions of the European Center for Medium-Range Weather Forecasting (ECMWF) and Global Forecast System (GFS) models exemplify this difference over their runs early in Sandy's life cycle, as the former routinely forecast a storm which would make a U.S. landfall, while the latter routinely forecast a track toward the central North Atlantic. This was also generally true of their respective ensemble members. This paper demonstrates that these differences were caused not by resolution or initial condition differences but rather due almost exclusively to choice of cumulus parameterization. Simulations performed with the Weather Research and Forecasting model using an ECMWF-like cumulus parameterization in conjunction with GFS initial conditions yield forecasts whose accuracy is similar to that of ECMWF forecasts at extended time ranges (up to 1 week before landfall).

I actually took a last minute trip to the catskills (Delaware county) last night and happened to do some photography while i was there. This is a great website (Just my preference, there are others) to find the darkest sites in your area. http://djlorenz.github.io/astronomy/lp2006/overlay/dark.html It is pretty accurate. As long as it isn't cloudy, and the humidity is below 70% or so you will have a nice view. It is really amazing how much light pollution is in the NYC area. 

JjEkov7.jpg

Yeah that feature is really great. I use a few different brushes too that really bring out the milky way and reduces Light Pollution as well. I will try and find the site where i got them and will message it to you on here.

that is spectacular right there.. 

there's not a lot of light polution here but never have I seen anything like this.. wait.. one time, in Bermuda.. top of the golf course in St. George's.. it wasn't even close to that pic there and I thought THAT was a sight! 

Hoping to see some Perseid this evening.. last night was still a little too cloudy here for anything at all.. nice night though.. .96" of rain in the gage and then into my tomato plant! 

16 and freezing rain ;)

I am petrified of freezing rain! Only can recall one scary storm in December 2009 back in Mass. Walked out at 730 and almost went right back in.. 

Seem to get more freezing rain here in NY.. there was a storm in February 2014 that had a good layer on everything. Definitely NOT my favorite weather, I refuse to go anywhere except outside to take pics! 

It is incredible out here today.. posting from the deck.. nice breeze, warm, not humid.. I could do this until October

Day 15 on 100+ this summer in Austin. It literally feels like an inferno. 101 currently, the last two days hit 105 downtown and 102-103 at the airport.

Wow if I had any of my three jobs (grounds keeper, life gaurd and landscape designer/installer) I would find the nearest train (to jump in front of) and or relocate immediately. Good thing you work in an office. I guess you make up for it when it's in the 60/70s in March and November

Wow if I had any of my three jobs (grounds keeper, life gaurd and landscape designer/installer) I would find the nearest train (to jump in front of) and or relocate immediately. Good thing you work in an office. I guess you make up for it when it's in the 60/70s in March and November

I work in an office, and the heat isn't bad obviously when the A/C is good. My car's is okay, but around 5:30 when I leave work it's unbearable. The mornings when it's at 75-80, it isn't bad. IMO, heat down here is more manageable than cold in the north-you don't shovel heat, it doesn't burst your pipes, etc., but the construction and other workers who have to be outside must be dying at this time of the day. Also, we had our first rain shower since about June 20th. Not a lot of work for landscapers-the terrain is bone dry. 

I work in an office, and the heat isn't bad obviously when the A/C is good. My car's is okay, but around 5:30 when I leave work it's unbearable. The mornings when it's at 75-80, it isn't bad. IMO, heat down here is more manageable than cold in the north-you don't shovel heat, it doesn't burst your pipes, etc., but the construction and other workers who have to be outside must be dying at this time of the day. Also, we had our first rain shower since about June 20th. Not a lot of work for landscapers-the terrain is bone dry.

Obviously I hear you on the office thing I worked in an office for way to long. But as far as working outside in heat vs cold give me cold all day every day. You can hide from the cold with layers and good equipment and be comfy for hours. (Nyc level cold) a real nyc heat wave in the afternoon sun in Manhattan and I don't have words to describe it. Lucky for me I work on a college campus an it's dead during the summer other then basic maintenance

Obviously I hear you on the office thing I worked in an office for way to long. But as far as working outside in heat vs cold give me cold all day every day. You can hide from the cold with layers and good equipment and be comfy for hours. (Nyc level cold) a real nyc heat wave in the afternoon sun in Manhattan and I don't have words to describe it. Lucky for me I work on a college campus an it's dead during the summer other then basic maintenance

105 high today downtown, 103 at the airport. 1 or 2 more 100+ days coming, then we drop to a chilly 96-98 with more humidity on a SE wind. 

So similar HI. Wow. I hear such good things about that city I hope you're enjoying it

Day 16... 101 in Austin now. And yeah, I'm definitely enjoying it down here, much more laid back way of living, nice people, great music and atmosphere, and cheaper (but not cheap) living costs. It was still good to be back home last week.

Difficult summer with the drought conditions  to replace all the trees ruined by Sandy in Long Beach.

https://www.facebook.com/378345352262194/photos/a.495223987240996.1073741837.378345352262194/823679541062104/?type=1&theater

Long Beach, New York please water the new trees! Almost every new tree on the block of Edwards and National on Beech St is dead. We have to water them!

Our City Council and City Manager have given our city workers an impossible task of watering all these trees. We the residents and homeowners need to help our city workers out by watering! Please give the tree in front of your house some WATER!

Wow that was so sick. Really helps you to understand how a micro burst really works!!! You can see the anvil shoot up and then I guess reach a cap and then discharge the microburst

Had one of these in the Austin area during the crazy period in late May. Quite a bit of property damage, and reports of 75+ mph wind gusts.

Wow. So did I. That was the summer before I went to college. I think about that happening now and I probably would end up stuck in a subway or something horrible.

I was only 13 at the time. We would play tag or manhunt in the dark with nothing with flashlights. I would die if i was in the subway that day

Awesome video Bluewave

Wow that was so sick. Really helps you to understand how a micro burst really works!!! You can see the anvil shoot up and then I guess reach a cap and then discharge the microburst

Had one of these in the Austin area during the crazy period in late May. Quite a bit of property damage, and reports of 75+ mph wind gusts.

NWS Upton used this at their spotter training course this spring.

I photographed one in Long Beach during July 2011. A wind gust around 50 mph was recorded 

at JFK with this microburst. You can see the rain foot expanding to the left over the Atlantic south of Rockaway.

Archived