Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Unofficial Start to Summer Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope all you heat lovers don't ever use A/C and request no A/C wherever you go.

Your homes better be like 90+ inside and steaming.

So then snow/cold lovers aren't allowed to use their indoor heating? They must live like a coyote roaming the wild?

That's a stupid argument IMO.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL

942 PM CDT THU JUN 11 2015

...GIANT HAIL RECORDED IN MINOOKA ON JUNE 10TH WAS THE SECOND

LARGEST OBSERVED HAIL ON RECORD IN THE STATE OF ILLINOIS...

SEVERAL SEVERE STORMS DEVELOPED ACROSS NORTHERN ILLINOIS ON

WEDNESDAY JUNE 10TH. ONE OF THESE PASSED OVER MINOOKA ILLINOIS IN

GRUNDY COUNTY BETWEEN 715 AND 725 PM AND PRODUCED ISOLATED GIANT

HAIL OF UP TO OVER FOUR INCHES IN DIAMETER. THERE WAS A REPORT OF

HAIL TO 4.75 INCHES IN DIAMETER FROM THE PUBLIC THAT WAS VERIFIED

PHOTOGRAPHICALLY. SOME OF THIS HAIL CAUSED SEVERE DAMAGE TO

VEHICLE WINDSHIELDS.

LOOKING AT LARGE HAIL DATA THROUGH THE STORM DATA EVENTS DATABASE

FROM THE NOAA NATIONAL CLIMATIC DATA CENTER /NCDC/...INFORMATION

WAS RETRIEVED THAT MAY HELP TO PUT HAIL THIS SIZE INTO

PERSPECTIVE. RECORDS ON HAIL DATA DATE BACK TO 1950 BUT BECAME

MORE DETAILED AND ROBUST BEGINNING IN THE MID TO LATE 1990S.

ACCORDING TO THE DATABASE:

- THIS WAS THE SECOND LARGEST OBSERVED HAIL ON RECORD IN THE STATE

OF ILLINOIS. THE LARGEST OBSERVED HAIL ON RECORD IN ILLINOIS WAS

ON APRIL 23 1961...WHEN SIX INCH DIAMETER HAIL WAS REPORTED IN

KANKAKEE COUNTY.

- THERE HAVE BEEN 9 INSTANCES OF 4.5 INCH DIAMETER HAIL OBSERVED

IN ILLINOIS...WHICH PREVIOUSLY TIED FOR THE SECOND LARGEST

OBSERVED HAIL ON RECORD IN THE STATE. THE MOST RECENT OCCURRENCE

WAS ON APRIL 28 2012 IN OKAWVILLE IN WASHINGTON COUNTY.

- OVERALL...SINCE 1950...THERE HAVE BEEN ONLY 24 OCCURRENCES OF 4

INCH DIAMETER OR LARGER HAIL IN ILLINOIS AND ONLY 17 OCCURRENCES OF

4 INCH DIAMETER OR LARGER HAIL IN THE STATE OF INDIANA.

- INCLUDING THE 1961 INSTANCE NOTED ABOVE...HERE ARE THE ONLY

INSTANCES OF HAIL OF 4 INCHES OR LARGER IN THE NWS CHICAGO COUNTY

WARNING AREA:

KANKAKEE COUNTY: APRIL 23 1961: 6 INCH DIAMETER

MINOOKA (GRUNDY): JUNE 10 2015: 4.75 INCH DIAMETER

BOSWELL (BENTON): JUNE 14 2010: 4.25 INCH DIAMETER

KANKAKEE COUNTY: JUNE 8 1981: 4 INCH DIAMETER

COUNTYWIDE (BENTON): AUGUST 18 2001: 4 INCH DIAMETER

DIXON (LEE COUNTY): JULY 13 2004: 4 INCH DIAMETER

- SINCE 2005...HAIL OF THIS LARGE IN DIAMETER IS REPORTED ABOUT

35-40 TIMES A YEAR IN THE UNITED STATES. HOWEVER...ALMOST ALL OF

THESE REPORTS ARE FROM THE PLAINS STATES.

$

I'm so pissed I missed bigger than golf ball sized hail this spring by maybe 2-3 miles. It hit Dripping Springs (probably 10 miles west of me), and apparently continued from there a ways before me based on photos sent to media. Seeing penny-sized hail was cool since I've seen hail before that maybe once in my life, but I wanted the full "Tornado Alley Experience" I guess. The wind part of it definitely produced here, the Memorial Day weekend storm on Saturday definitely reminded me of Irene when it was overhead (Sandy is something else entirely), and there was tons of wind damage in the Austin area, and 2 confirmed tornadoes (the one nearest me was an EF0, there was another one on the north side which was an EF1). The 75mph wind gust at the airport was impressive. Unfortunately, that MCS was based on the stalled out storms which devastated Wimberley and other communities on the Blanco River south of me. On Memorial Day, storms stalled over I-35 and just west and produced major flooding in Austin. You called it, Forky. 

Dewpoint's under 60 in Central Park. You want disgusting, here it's 89 with 72 dewpoint. A tropical wave is pushing west from the Gulf of Mexico today, so it's going to be awful all weekend. 

The 12Z Euro drops 10"+ along the path of that tropical system through parts of Texas.

The 12Z Euro drops 10"+ along the path of that tropical system through parts of Texas.

attachicon.gifNorth32America_msl_96.gif

Yeah, models are organizing it more today, so it might get here as a tropical storm. It would be devastating if it stalls over an area for a while given how much rain we had last month. Right now most tracks are east of me, but there's still a long way to go. If the ridge strengthens a little more, we could be in trouble too. 

Despite my clearly unparalleled genius, I have never grasped the significance or meaning of the blonde girl that individuals periodically insert in their posts...she does looks a bit like Liza Colby from All My Children, IMO.

Everything you're saying to him goes through one ear and out the other.

Had a nasty T-storm early this morning that made the creeks in Austin come out of their banks again-doesn't look to be as bad as what happened here Memorial Day weekend, but it goes to show how vulnerable things here still are. Looks like San Antonio's getting nailed now with stalled out storms. And with this tropical system headed this way in a couple of days-ohhh boy. Get ready for more Texas flooding stories. 

Had a nasty T-storm early this morning that made the creeks in Austin come out of their banks again-doesn't look to be as bad as what happened here Memorial Day weekend, but it goes to show how vulnerable things here still are. Looks like San Antonio's getting nailed now with stalled out storms. And with this tropical system headed this way in a couple of days-ohhh boy. Get ready for more Texas flooding stories.

Send some rain up to the parched island. Hopefully we score tonight/tomorrow upton has rain 100%. I'll believe it when I see it

Send some rain up to the parched island. Hopefully we score tonight/tomorrow upton has rain 100%. I'll believe it when I see it

We're up close to 2" for today I think and under another flood warning. The tropical system mid-week is also looking more like it'll at least send some good shower activity into central Texas. It's unbelievable how much rain there's been here since May 1st. 

Archived