SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Unofficial Start to Summer Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storms are getting into the source areas for the rivers that massively flooded in Central TX now. Luckily these are moving and not training like the storms last weekend, but this can still dump a couple of inches of rain. The lower half of the line is starting to bow out, so there should be some healthy wind gusts. The instability from Waco south is a little stronger than north of there-they didn't have much opportunity to clear out from the morning convection. CAPE from there south is over 3000 and LI is -8 to -10. This should be able to blast in some form all the way to the Gulf Coast. It's about an hour away from us along Waco-San Antonio. 

Kinks are starting to show in the line over the eastern Hill Country that may generate tornado warnings soon. One is coming into Blanco County now. Some very impressive velocities starting to show up-I bet there are gusts over 60 mph in there. 

Another day, another warning for JM.

3 warnings in 3 days. And numerous other severe and tornado warnings this month, and flash flood watches/warnings. Can't say living in LB prepared me for this. 

Hearing the first rumbles of thunder now. Line is pounding into western Travis County. Velocities still suggest 60+ mph gusts in there.

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1550260-crazy-time-lapse-of-lake-travis-water-rising

The massive rise on Lake Travis this month. Much of the rest of that spit of land is likely gone today-the lake has risen another 3+ feet since that article was posted. This is the main reservoir for the city of Austin-it's a 30-40 min drive from downtown. It actually missed the heavy rain Austin proper saw early this month (on May 5th, Austin had locally 6" of rain), so it would likely be past full had that rain hit them. This is actually one of the drier areas this month, since the lake is fed from the northern Hill Country and sees no benefit from rain just along I-35. The Memorial Day weekend rain hit the Blanco River watershed to the south and closer to downtown, where the smaller creeks are fed, which violently flooded through a chunk of the city.

Flooding begets flooding?

Something like that. Also, outflow boundaries from past storms are all over central TX and pop up storms all the time. A weak front also pushed through early this morning. Radar estimating 1.5" of rain already. My area has been one of the rainiest in the metro-I must be pushing 20" this month. 

Up to 2" of rain fell in an hour under the T-storms I had a few hours ago. Downtown received very little-the bad areas were on the west and SW sides of town. My area (Sunset Valley) was absolutely drenched and received some of the heaviest totals. The creek near my apartment is out of its banks and flooding again-I'm under a flash flood warning for the next few hours I believe. I'm pretty sure I'm near 20" this month-I'm not far from Camp Mabry and the rain gauge nearest me was keeping up with them until this week when my area was nailed by a few storms they missed. The sun's coming out and it's a nice sunset-hopefully a sign of a dry couple of weeks coming up. El Nino can finally take a breather (Please, God...)

Really cool rainbow now, I tried taking pictures but they didn't come out too well. Catches too much of the green and none of the red.

White balance too cold?

Possibly. It was on my iPhone, so I did what I could. I caught some awesome mammatus on Memorial Day and some other pics I have in the picture thread. Those were the best mammatus I've seen-they literally stretched across the entire sky. That was as the MCS that nailed us was closing in on Houston-the anvil trailed hundreds of miles back.

Possibly. It was on my iPhone, so I did what I could. I caught some awesome mammatus on Memorial Day and some other pics I have in the picture thread. Those were the best mammatus I've seen-they literally stretched across the entire sky. That was as the MCS that nailed us was closing in on Houston-the anvil trailed hundreds of miles back.

There's some great free apps for the iPhone to adjust each colors saturation

Archived