Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Great Southern Plains Flood of 2015

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flash Flood emergency in Elk City OK. Elk City to Butler got 5-6" today as per KFDR storm total rainfall estimation.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
FLASH FLOOD WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK
222 PM CDT SAT MAY 23 2015

...FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR CARTER NORTH TO ELK CITY...TO CANUTE...
TO BUTLER...TO HAMMON...

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  
FLASH FLOOD WARNING  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO TX  
705 PM CDT SAT MAY 23 2015  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN AUSTIN SAN ANTONIO HAS EXTENDED THE  

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...  
CENTRAL COMAL COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS...  
NORTHEASTERN MEDINA COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS...  
KENDALL COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS...  
SOUTHWESTERN BLANCO COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS...  
EASTERN BANDERA COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS...  
NORTHWESTERN BEXAR COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS...  
SOUTHEASTERN KERR COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS...  

* UNTIL 1015 PM CDT  

* AT 659 PM CDT...DOPPLER RADAR AND AUTOMATED RAIN GAUGES INDICATED  
HEAVY RAIN FALLING ACROSS THE WARNED AREA. UP TO SIX INCHES OF  
RAIN HAS FALLEN ALONG THE KENDALL-BLANCO COUNTY BORDER WITH  
WIDESPREAD RAIN TOTALS ABOVE FOUR INCHES IN THE WARNED AREA.  
WIDESPREAD FLASH FLOODING IS ALREADY OCCURRING.

* SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...  
SAN ANTONIO...KERRVILLE...BOERNE...COMFORT...BLANCO...SCHERTZ...  
HELOTES...FAIR OAKS RANCH...CANYON LAKE...BULVERDE...GARDEN  
RIDGE...HOLLYWOOD PARK...SHAVANO PARK...FLUGRATH...WARING...PIPE  
CREEK...WALNUT GROVE...GUADALUPE RIVER STATE PARK...SPRING BRANCH  
AND PAYTON.  

ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF UP TO THREE INCHES PER HOUR AND  
SEVERAL INCHES OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS ARE POSSIBLE IN THE WARNED  
AREA.

Water rescues everywhere in Norman, too many to count.

Worst of it looks to be here on the south side of town. About 3.50" and counting (quickly) at the National Weather Center on OK-9 in the past 2 hr 40 min. Water up to car hoods near the entrance of my complex, with rescues reported a couple miles down the road. Isn't going to stop anytime soon, though the intensity has dropped off a tad.

This is just crazy, I've run a good number of times down in this area and the creeks range from dry to barely a trickle. Never seen anything close to this! From Bandera, TX just NW of San Antonio, TX

CFvBQJNWEAE2hBj.jpg

That area's just been pounded all day. Radar estimates of 6"+ north of San Antonio International Airport. The Hill Country has taken it on the chin big time the last few days. I drove to Lake Travis this afternoon and noticed a definite hike in the lake level from early last month-a great thing, but the creeks here in Austin are highly prone to flash floods. 

Areas south of AUS such as here in Buda, TX may get off easier in this event. The rains have been heavier and more steady farther north. I have only seen an inch and a half so far. Pray for communities farther north in TX and also in Oklahoma.

I have visited Texas several times in the past 15 years. I have NEVER ever seen this much water down here at one time. There is standing water on fields down here which is something you don't see often. It is usually pretty dry here in the high sun season.

(Side note: I am here in South Central Texas until late December, for medical reasons.)

Areas south of AUS such as here in Buda, TX may get off easier in this event. The rains have been heavier and more steady farther north. I have only seen an inch and a half so far. Pray for communities farther north in TX and also in Oklahoma.

I have visited Texas several times in the past 15 years. I have NEVER ever seen this much water down here at one time. There is standing water on fields down here which is something you don't see often. It is usually pretty dry here in the high sun season.

(Side note: I am here in South Central Texas until late December, for medical reasons.)

We have a ways to go. Until the upper low crosses by on Monday, we're down for whatever happens. Monday afternoon looks like the next big chance for T-storms and heavy rain with a wave passing on the STJ. Luckily, the creeks and lakes here (around Austin anyway) are low from drought over the last 5 years, but flash floods are always a possibility. 

Archived